Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem now owned by Take 2 as Embracer Group sells Gearbox - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem now owned by Take 2 as Embracer Group sells Gearbox  "IPs still to be developed by Gearbox?"

User is offline   Mack 

Embracer Group has today entered into an agreement to divest Gearbox Entertainment, for a consideration of USD 460 million (SEK 4.9 billion) to Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (“Take-Two”).

The divested assets include:
  • Gearbox Software (Frisco, Texas)
  • Gearbox Montréal
  • Gearbox Studio Quebec
  • Borderlands and Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands franchises, as well as Homeworld, Risk of Rain, Brothers in Arms and Duke Nukem

https://embracer.com...e-software-inc/

This post has been edited by Mack: 28 March 2024 - 08:10 AM

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Here we go again...

User is offline   Steve 64 

Great Duke Nukem back with Take Two doubt they going to do anything with Duke Nukem since Gearbox is woke as fuck

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Randy Pitchford in june of last year said during a podcast that the Duke Nukem movie will serve to take the temperature for a new game, I assume the present plans of Gearbox won't be upheaved

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 28 March 2024 - 02:44 PM

View Postgemeaux333, on 28 March 2024 - 02:43 PM, said:

Randy Pitchford in june of last year said during a podcast that the Duke Nukem movie will serve to take the temperature for a new game, I assume the present plans of Gearbox won't be upheaved

They are sure doing a great job making a terrible boardland movie the trailer speaks for it self, Making a movie for Duke Nukem is not going to help Duke Nukem the movie idea is a terrible take just saying.

Considering the Borderlands and Duke Nukem movies are having completely different producers and studios behind them, we can assume it won't be the same

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 29 March 2024 - 03:49 PM

View Postgemeaux333, on 29 March 2024 - 03:47 PM, said:

Considering the Borderlands and Duke Nukem movies are having completely different producers and studios behind them, we can assume it won't be the same

We have to wait and see if it be good or not, if Legendary is apart of it really good chance going to be ok or good, Dune 2 is a really good movie.

User is offline   Outtagum 

That's fucking retarded.

The temperature can be set by the developers of a well-crafted, fun game. Movies and merch always come after. If Randy Pitchford, or Take Two is afraid of an angry public, put a disclaimer and be done with it. Toned down Duke like seen in Duke 64 or Zero Hour worked well in my opinion and it was nice to see him helping people in Bullet Storm. Doesn't have to lean hard on being edgy all the time.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostMike Norvak, on 28 March 2024 - 12:43 PM, said:

Here we go again...

Exactly. Take Two needs to STFU imo.

Legendary is also behind the Warcraft adaptation, which was decent to say the least

More lay offs at GearBox not looking good for Gearbox

View PostX-Vector, on 30 March 2024 - 03:20 AM, said:

Exactly. Take Two needs to STFU imo.

I wish Take Two would force Rockstar games to add a FUCKING ANTI CHEAT SYSTEM IN THEIR FUCKING PC TITTLES FOR FUCK SAKE, can't grind in peace without some chinaman mother fucker comes in and find you in the ass.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View Posthismasterplan, on 29 March 2024 - 11:15 PM, said:

The temperature can be set by the developers of a well-crafted, fun game. Movies and merch always come after. If Randy Pitchford, or Take Two is afraid of an angry public, put a disclaimer and be done with it. Toned down Duke like seen in Duke 64 or Zero Hour worked well in my opinion and it was nice to see him helping people in Bullet Storm. Doesn't have to lean hard on being edgy all the time.

Advance also had a fantastically written Duke. Happy to crack jokes and banter with Graves, but knew when to be serious, such as rescuing the Jennys and getting information. He's also perfectly good at taking initiative when cut off from Graves on his own.

In short, Duke Nukem is a hero. He's always been a hero; directly inspired by comic book superheroes. He's a hero with an ego (which has since come to define his heath), but a hero all the same.

Seeing a bunch of women captured in Duke 3D and even DNF rightfully pisses him off. 3D plays it off like he's dropping one-liners to lighten his mood since the aliens he's facing are played completely straight. Most games made in that era got that aspect of Duke. He's jokey but he does so against the backdrop of villains that definitely aren't. He also wasn't an idiot. While he was more than happy to defer command to someone else and just do the killing, when left to his own devices Duke is still capable of giving himself direction on what to do and where to go next.

The thing DNF got completely wrong was writing him like a big dumb oaf who never took anything seriously. DNF represented the Duke people thought they remembered in their hazy memories without having actually touched those games in decades.

The problem is the popular zeitgeist only remembers the DNF version of Duke and thinks that's all he was. A disclaimer won't fix a decade-long smear campaign by people with way too much free time.

I would love to see the return of the actual Duke Nukem. The hero with a mouth and weaponized self-assurance. But I don't think anyone can be trusted to do it. Especially not in film. It's more overrun with said free-time people than gaming is.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

@Ninety-Six, completely agree here.

It is interesting that the original Duke character came together seemingly without much effort, it just developed organically from the context of the games themselves and the cultural context that was relevant at the time of their creation. While the DNF version indeed almost borders on a parody, and not a very clever one at that.

I also vaguely remember that when and after DNF came out, there were not only outright critics, but also people who were eager to "defend" Duke for being "politically incorrect" and "not suited to the modern era" or whatever (either being simply misguided themselves or out of some ulterior motives perhaps?), which only contributed to strengthening this false narrative.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostNinety-Six, on 31 March 2024 - 10:18 PM, said:

I would love to see the return of the actual Duke Nukem. The hero with a mouth and weaponized self-assurance. But I don't think anyone can be trusted to do it. Especially not in film. It's more overrun with said free-time people than gaming is.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Forge: 01 April 2024 - 07:22 AM

DNF look more like Duke Nukem having a Vecna induced nightmare with Vecna using a new strategy : spoof the ego before confronting to the harsh reality of the world

View PostForge, on 01 April 2024 - 07:16 AM, said:

Posted Image

Everything is relative. I'm not saying gaming isn't full to the brim of these half-wits. Just that film is even moreso.

User is offline   jkas789 

Yeeeeeah. I'm not confident that Duke Nukem could be made justice in a movie or video game in the year of our Lord 2024. The only way it could happen is if Gearbox gave up control of the project to someone else with 0 interference and Randy is too proud for that. Also the writers over at Gearbox are absolute trash, just look at Borderlands 3.

That seems stupid to me. It seems a lot harder for a movie to be noticed these days compared to a game, so many mid-level titles that seem to come and go without a second thought. Add in that this is going to be in a still infamously bad category and it sounds like this is going to be another shuffling around of the Duke IP without much coming of it.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Gearbox was basically Borderlands. And apparently it wasn't enough to keep the boat afloat. Dunno whether I should call that shocking or satisfying. Considering the losses for Embracer after the original acquisition...

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

One step forward, two steps back.

User is offline   Multiplexa 

The dream of Gearbox allowing Flying Wild Hog to work on a new Duke game with consulting from 3D Realms has now been replaced by the dream of an official DNF 2001 release.

User is offline   t800 

View PostMultiplexa, on 11 April 2024 - 10:48 AM, said:

The dream of Gearbox allowing Flying Wild Hog to work on a new Duke game with consulting from 3D Realms has now been replaced by the dream of an official DNF 2001 release.

But why? Timing would be off - now when it got leaked out. I am putting more hope into DNF Restoration Project. Also, I believe what got leaked is pretty much everything that was completed back then. So this is more recreation/addition project than "restoration". So yeah, I don't expect this project to be quick and there is not-unlikely chance to get abandoned but still gives me higher hopes than commercial approach.
I just cant imagine big commercial studio putting so much money, time and effort into pretty much redoing all things again for such product.

View PostMultiplexa, on 11 April 2024 - 10:48 AM, said:

As in the guys who worked on Shadow Warrior mmm I can seeing that working their reboot for Shadow Warrior is good even know it had some small issues, as for 3DRealms it not the same 3DRealms, run by different people also they haven't been on their A Game as of late.

Considering FWH bowed down to the ridiculous race-baiting voice acting thing, I don't think they'd handle Duke Nukem for shit.

View PostNinety-Six, on 13 April 2024 - 02:17 PM, said:

Considering FWH bowed down to the ridiculous race-baiting voice acting thing, I don't think they'd handle Duke Nukem for shit.

Then who make agood Duke Nukem AAA game that Duke.

View PostDuke Nukem God Killer, on 13 April 2024 - 04:01 PM, said:

Then who make agood Duke Nukem AAA game that Duke.

No one. Nobody can trusted with the IP anymore. There's barely any studio out there that has the balls to do Duke justice, and even if they did Gearbox still owns the IP and will find a way to screw it up.

Well there is one studio that got balls to do a Duke Nukem Game and it called The Fans, but your right Gaybox software is just going to Fuck it up so bad like how they did with there little Duke Nukem 3D World Tour.

Lunick why are you here you hate video games, I seen your comment mother fucker, there really no point of you being in the video game world if you hate video's Games, also nice job with the megaton edition forums when people were reporting issues you help with megaton edition death lost your job and I went on to better things bigger AAA Games have a nice day jerkoff.

This post has been edited by Duke Nukem God Killer: 14 April 2024 - 01:57 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options