Duke4.net Forums: So how do I make duke nukem 3D mod - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So how do I make duke nukem 3D mod

I've been planning to make tactical fps for a few months now but first thing I would need is an engine at first I thought I should try quake engine but it was too complicated for me so I thought about trying build engine but I have no idea about what to do. So what programs do I need to make a duke nukem 3D mod

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostDualBackdrop365, on 08 December 2023 - 11:41 PM, said:

I've been planning to make tactical fps for a few months now but first thing I would need is an engine at first I thought I should try quake engine but it was too complicated for me so I thought about trying build engine but I have no idea about what to do. So what programs do I need to make a duke nukem 3D mod

Eduke32 comes with Mapster32. This is your primary level editing tool. You should look up Eduke32 mapping tutorials on YouTube, as well as peaking at the Eduke32 wiki on mapping. There are other websites dedicated to Duke Nukem 3D mapping which can be very helpful. MSDN has some materials on this I believe.

To edit .CON files, where the bulk of the gameplay "con" code language is stored, (DEF.CON USER.CON GAME.CON) you need a text editor. Wordpad. Notepad. Notepad++. Any of these will do the job. Again, check the EDUKE wiki, and google search for "Duke3D Con Code information/tutorials" and you'll find information on this. A lot of people start by messing around in the user.con which will allow you to edit things like episode and level names, change health, ammo pick up amounts. Basic stuff to be sure, but it helps you become educated.

Duke3D uses .voc for sound effects, and .mid for music. For the former you can use a program like Audacity to edit and save .voc. You'll have to come up with your own sounds and things of that nature. MIDI is a different story, mostly abandoned at this stage, Eduke32 can/will replace .midi with .ogg or .wav files for music

You can also join the Duke4 DISCORD where people are hanging out and can give you more in depth information.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

No matter what game you mod, you have to be willing to get your hands dirty and suffer. You have to love it so much that's it's worth the pain. And if it doesn't hurt, then you aren't trying.

User is online   VGames 

And since this is Build it will hurt no matter what. How much you endure will determine whether or not you really want to mod Duke Nukem 3D. Good luck.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

You should stick with Quake, in my personal opinion it's easier to learn and the modding community is a bit bigger. If it's definitely not your choice, try Doom.

Thanks for all the help. I think I'll start with the mapping first

User is online   ck3D 

https://infosuite.du...php?page=basics invest a couple of hours into following this Build mapping guide/step-by-step homework and you'll be sorted for life. The EDuke32 Wiki page also is full of complementary information regarding how to achieve some of the more advanced stuff faster, but you should concentrate on the fundamentals first or you won't know the principles of what you're doing and that will be an obstacle. Build isn't as difficult as people make it out to be, as long as one has the humility to study its quirky fundamental principles for just a bit, then once they've got that down they're free to do most anything they want with it, because they understand the basics of how it's wired and what the engine as a tool is best at. The number one thing you want to get down is sector logic (in Build you can overlap them so drawing order is specific to what you want to achieve). Good luck.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 25 June 2024 - 05:57 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options