Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] BUILD Map Importer - Blender Add-on - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] BUILD Map Importer - Blender Add-on

User is offline   jensnt 

Hi, I recently released the first version of my BUILD Map Importer Add-on for Blender.

It enables you to import .MAP files directly in Blender.
For textures you need to specify a path to a texture folder in it's preferences.

You can find a detailed description as well as an example map with some free textures on the Project GitHub page:
https://github.com/j...mport_build_map

I will also attach the Add-on and the example map here.

Hope you enjoy! ;)
Feedback is very welcome.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: e1l1.png
  • Attached Image: import-options.png
  • Attached Image: preferences.png
  • Attached Image: roof.jpg

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

That looks awesome. First pic kind of looks like what I would expect a great renderer to look like.

User is offline   juvenite 

That is so sick, I've been wanting to see something like this in ages. Thank you.

User is offline   Hank 

The add-on works well. :)

Well, it's a start only. (Renderer used is only Workbench)

Attached Image: unti10.jpg

No idea how to set up the parallax sky in Blender, and it's shading. Any ideas? (Yes, I can delete the top and make a conventional skybox instead.)

Next is to re-write all my tiles from Build numbering system to the add-on's, and make a show piece of one of my unpublished levels. But it will take some time.

User is offline   jensnt 

View PostHank, on 22 May 2023 - 10:27 AM, said:

The add-on works well. :)

Well, it's a start only. (Renderer used is only Workbench)

Attachment unti10.jpg

No idea how to set up the parallax sky in Blender, and it's shading. Any ideas? (Yes, I can delete the top and make a conventional skybox instead.)

Next is to re-write all my tiles from Build numbering system to the add-on's, and make a show piece of one of my unpublished levels. But it will take some time.

I'm really happy you find the Add-on useful! :D

For the parallax I also didn't find a good shader setup yet.
That's also why I sorted everything with parallax into the Sky Collection so it can be easily hidden and replaced with a skybox.
If I get to know of a good shader setup I will gladly include it in the Add-on. :)
Please share if you have anything.

Regarding the tiles/textures numbering system, I just went with what the Xtract tool was using: https://blood.source...net/rebuild.php
But I was already thinking of supporting other numbering systems. E.g. just the plain picnum as filename.
What numbering system do you use for your files? (Best case I can save you some time rewriting all those file names ^^)

Also, I'm looking forward for that show piece!

This post has been edited by jensnt: 23 May 2023 - 05:20 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View Postjensnt, on 23 May 2023 - 05:13 AM, said:

I'm really happy you find the Add-on useful! :D

For the parallax I also didn't find a good shader setup yet.
That's also why I sorted everything with parallax into the Sky Collection so it can be easily hidden and replaced with a skybox.
If I get to know of a good shader setup I will gladly include it in the Add-on. :)
Please share if you have anything.

Regarding the tiles/textures numbering system, I just went with what the Xtract tool was using: https://blood.source...net/rebuild.php
But I was already thinking of supporting other numbering systems. E.g. just the plain picnum as filename.
What numbering system do you use for your files? (Best case I can save you some time rewriting all those file names ^^)

Also, I'm looking forward for that show piece!

This would be welcome. I use the "picnum" values for my tiles.
Attached is the official Duke 3D HRP def file. There, all textures are numbered from 0 to 5119. Teams who create Total Conversions and custom levels (I hate the term modders), use the same tile setup via a .def file.

Still, before you program this change, perhaps, wait for more active level makers on what they prefer. :)

Attached File  textures.zip (15.03K)
Number of downloads: 44

User is offline   Mark 

Wow, how did I miss this. I'll have to try it out right now.

User is offline   jensnt 

View PostHank, on 24 May 2023 - 09:06 AM, said:

This would be welcome. I use the "picnum" values for my tiles.
Attached is the official Duke 3D HRP def file. There, all textures are numbered from 0 to 5119. Teams who create Total Conversions and custom levels (I hate the term modders), use the same tile setup via a .def file.

Still, before you program this change, perhaps, wait for more active level makers on what they prefer. :)

Attachment textures.zip

OK thank you. :)
Just released version 1.1.0:
https://github.com/j...ases/tag/v1.1.0

Changes:
- Support for plain BUILD tile number as texture file names (with optional leading zeros)
- Allow .jpg as texture file format

Btw., is it possible to edit the first post of this topic so the new version is available on top?
Or should I create a new topic?

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by jensnt: 24 May 2023 - 01:41 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

Unfortunately a lot of the maps in my projects are version 9 and won't load. Is it the use of TROR that converts it to 9?

This post has been edited by Mark: 25 May 2023 - 05:20 AM

User is offline   jensnt 

View PostMark, on 25 May 2023 - 05:19 AM, said:

Unfortunately a lot of the maps in my projects are version 9 and won't load. Is it the use of TROR that converts it to 9?

Hi
Yes, TROR is what distinguishes map version 9 from 8 as you can see here:
https://moddingwiki...._Format_(Build)

I don't have any more documentation about how the file format really is different from version 8 than that wiki so I did not put effort in supporting it yet.
Also, I don't have a map file that really makes use of those TROR features of version 9.

Maybe I should try to dig one up and see what I can do to support it.
Or if you already have a map file, that you can send me, where you think it makes use of the version 9 TROR features I would be happy to have a look at that to see what I can do. :)

This post has been edited by jensnt: 25 May 2023 - 06:47 AM

User is offline   jensnt 

View PostMark, on 25 May 2023 - 05:19 AM, said:

OK, I found that the dust 2 map is version 9 and is making use of TROR: https://forums.duke4...release-dust-2/

I disabled the version check in my add-on and the map did load but had a lot of ceilings, floors and walls in places where there should be none. Also texture alignment was off.
So there is some stuff going on that I don't know about with TROR.
Not sure if and when I can support that unfortunately...

I could maybe make a checkbox in the import options to allow opening version 9 maps anyway. With a warning that there might be errors.
Might still be useful if those maps don't make too heavy use of TROR.

This post has been edited by jensnt: 25 May 2023 - 11:02 AM

User is offline   Hank 

Here is one of the simplest TROR maps, I know of. It’s a tutorial map on how to do TROR.
Perhaps look and see, if removing the version check would work there.

https://www.moddb.co...-vector-slicing

User is offline   jensnt 

View PostHank, on 26 May 2023 - 12:16 PM, said:

Here is one of the simplest TROR maps, I know of. It’s a tutorial map on how to do TROR.
Perhaps look and see, if removing the version check would work there.

https://www.moddb.co...-vector-slicing

Thank you. That is helpful to have a simple map like that to test with.
I tried to do something like that in mapster32 but failed. :P

I started looking into how TROR works and figured a few things out.
I made a new experimental version of the Add-on with some changes and without the version check but giving you a warning for Version 9 maps. (see attached zip)

Floors and Ceilings might already work correctly with TROR in that version. Please tell me if not.

Walls are a bit more complicated and there are walls where there should be none.
It will take more time and some refactoring to sort that out. Don't hold your breath. :)

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by jensnt: 26 May 2023 - 01:15 PM

User is offline   jimbob 

awesome, i have to give this a try :)

User is offline   Mark 

I tested with a version 9 map from one of my projects. It does indeed work now. Thanks for the upate.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: blendermap.jpg

User is offline   jensnt 

OK, quick update.
I have figured out what the problem with the walls with TROR was. :D

So here is another release with the fix. Still experimental, though!
Please tell me if you see any errors with this.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Hank 

View Postjensnt, on 29 May 2023 - 01:23 PM, said:

OK, quick update.
I have figured out what the problem with the walls with TROR was. :D

So here is another release with the fix. Still experimental, though!
Please tell me if you see any errors with this.

Well, I don't see a problem. I say it's a good fix, and will stay in my Blender :thumbsup:

User is offline   Hank 

I looked into trying to mimic the parallax from Build.
The simplest shader I found was,
https://b3d.interpla...der-in-blender/

But it did not look so hot, to keep it polite, nor did the more complex one’s.
My suggestion: simply group all ceilings, designated as parallaxed, including their adjacent walls and make them ‘invisible’. Now all one has is a missing sky. The user could import his sky tiles, use them for the world environment in Blender and adjust them first to suit/as needed. Methinks, if you import your level into Blender, you know what Blender is capable off, and cannot resist to use its more interesting features anyways. :P
(As I wrote, for me it’s a show off for my level, and I love Blender 3D)

User is offline   Paul B 

If only Blender was a seemless as Mapster when navigating the model.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostPaul B, on 07 June 2023 - 11:46 AM, said:

If only Blender was a seemless as Mapster when navigating the model.

Have you tried the Walk Navigation? :)

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostHank, on 07 June 2023 - 01:06 PM, said:

Have you tried the Walk Navigation? :)

Thank you, that helped a lot. First time playing with blender. Way more advanced than what I need =)

User is offline   jensnt 

View PostHank, on 06 June 2023 - 11:18 AM, said:

I looked into trying to mimic the parallax from Build.
The simplest shader I found was,
https://b3d.interpla...der-in-blender/

But it did not look so hot, to keep it polite, nor did the more complex one’s.
My suggestion: simply group all ceilings, designated as parallaxed, including their adjacent walls and make them ‘invisible’. Now all one has is a missing sky. The user could import his sky tiles, use them for the world environment in Blender and adjust them first to suit/as needed. Methinks, if you import your level into Blender, you know what Blender is capable off, and cannot resist to use its more interesting features anyways. :P
(As I wrote, for me it’s a show off for my level, and I love Blender 3D)

Yeah.. the solutions I found were also not that good looking.
But thank you for looking into it! :)

And yes, that's exactly what I did with the "Sky" collection, so it can easily be hidden:
(You need to have the "Split Sky" Check box active in the import settings for that collection to be created but it is on by default)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Bildschirmfoto_2023-06-08_14-27-57.png

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options