Duke4.net Forums: Someone is porting Duke 3D into DNF 2011 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Someone is porting Duke 3D into DNF 2011  "Early days, but looking promising so far."

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Someone is porting Duke Nukem 3D into Duke Nukem Forever 2011. Looks quite promising so far. I am curious to see how they hand the absence of certain things, like not having the Overlord boss. Unless that could somehow be scripted into the game. It's a shame the overlord model that was made for the 2011 intro is not present in the game files.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I appreciate the effort, but IMO somehow this does not look better than the original to me, but almost a step back?

• Judge Mental

MrFlibble, on 27 January 2023 - 07:23 AM, said:

I appreciate the effort, but IMO somehow this does not look better than the original to me, but almost a step back?

I mean, at this page, other than a few elements of scripting that have been plugged in, the levels are just ported in as-as and have lights in them. In reality you'd want to do materials, maybe even the HRP materials since they're at the same resolution as DNF assets, and then you'd start to see something a little more impressive. All the textures are very flat, and the lighting seems to have been done, more or less, evenly. Which is fine for development, you want to see what you're doing. I do agree though, it can be taken much further. Still, it's cool to see people picking up DNF 2011 and doing things with it. Although I still maintain that it has some fundamental game design problems, the biggest way to alleviate them would be decent level design.

User is online   Phredreeke 

And technically you can't use the HRP textures for this, as it goes against the license. (though no one seemed to care when serious duke did it)

I've been asked if modders can use my ERP textures for this, and other than those textures partially sourced from the HRP I'm fine with that.

User is offline   Sangman 

MrFlibble, on 27 January 2023 - 07:23 AM, said:

Probably because importing sector-based engine content into a "modern" engine verbatim will never look good. I highly doubt this will result in anything of notable quality, but wait and see I guess.

User is offline   jkas789 

I mean, it looks fine I guess. I just don't get what's the point.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

jkas789, on 01 February 2023 - 11:31 PM, said:

I'm not sure if there is one. It's more an inevitability I think. When a game is moddable, always among the first wave are recreations of levels from the predecessor using assets from the new one.

Hell, not long after come recreations of levels from other games. And that box got checked just recently, too.

I suppose it's sort of a litmus test. When the limitations are still being explored, it's both an exercise to become more familiar with the tools available, as well as a test of the game itself to see how it stacks up against its older brothers.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 02 February 2023 - 09:34 AM

I always think "the more the better", anyway one of the main problems to me seem the movement-agility, the player is slow and can't jump high enough, or maybe Duke is old in this engine and can't reach the first floor at the begin of HH without a second crate? Posted Image

Weapon Reloading: I know that "realistically" weapons need to be reloaded, but as "Duke3D" this usually shouldn't happen, reloading a weapon every 5 secs after the player used it a bit is not part of old school FPS (modern Doom games agree with this too), specially the machine guns, OMG the machine guns! 30 damned rounds in every machine gun's magazine, there are magazines/machine guns with even 100 rounds capacity out there in real life! (speaking about many other games, i know that the chaingun here is beyond 30 rounds at least).

Graphics: A secondary factor, if the gameplay is amazing, visual things can be improved and make stunning later.Map looks faithful to the originals, i see nothing wrong to decorate and add something else and expand them a little bit if needed, but that is a choice.

In short, what most people want to see is probably an improved and upgraded Duke3D experience under every POV, but am not sure we will live long enough to see it at this point lol.

As mapping this is ok and fans efforts are always appreciated, as a "HD remake" is too soon to say something.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

There are at least 3 modern Unreal games with Duke in them. The amount of modding activity has gone from 5 mph to Mach 5 in a few months. Any modellers, 2D artists, even sound guys and animators, now's the time to pick a project and jump on board.

• Judge Mental

Tea Monster, on 06 February 2023 - 02:38 PM, said:

There are at least 3 modern Unreal games with Duke in them. The amount of modding activity has gone from 5 mph to Mach 5 in a few months. Any modellers, 2D artists, even sound guys and animators, now's the time to pick a project and jump on board.

Absolutely. Pick of the litter, and anyone is going to be in high demand.

View Postjkas789, on 01 February 2023 - 11:31 PM, said:

Either pure nostalgia, or training oneself to use the editor by rebuilding something simple. I'm guessing it's their first time using a level editor, otherwise they would've realized that in order to look good on a more complex engine, levels from a simpler engine must be given a personal reinterpretation, rather than being ported 1:1, or the more complex engine will make them look wrong.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Yeah, this is most likely just someone doing it to learn, or just for the hell of it because it's fun to do so, and that's fine.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options