Duke4.net Forums: What's slowing down my Wi-fi connection? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's slowing down my Wi-fi connection?

User is offline   Dr.Panico 

So, ever since late 2021, my Wi-fi connection has been ungodly slow and inconsistent. It gets especially annoying when dealing with multiple tabs, busy webpages or heavy downloads (files over 30 MB or so are a no-go without a Manager). The problem started right after I've sent my computer to install a new HD, along with a new copy of Win 7.
At first, I thought it was a problem with my ISP; especially since they weren't being very helpful with my situation; but the problem persisted even after signing with another provider.
I've tried everything I could: I reinstalled my Wi-fi antenna, the problem persisted. Tried to update my drivers, same thing. Contacted my ISP support, they "never heard of a problem like mine". Sent my computer to a repairman, he found nothing.

Things to consider:
  • My Wi-fi connection was working perfectly before I repaired my computer, and I've been using my PC in the same place since mid-2020.
  • On my phone and on my mom's notebook, Wi-fi works nicely (granted, I couldn't do the same amount of tests as on my desktop due to OS differences).
  • It can't be something wrong with my USB port, because pendrives and USB cables in general work on the same port without any issues.
  • The antenna seems to be working fine (according to the repairman). The problem is, like I said, how it receives the signal and stability issues.
  • My internet plan is of 300 MB of speed, but there are times that speedtests indicate down to only 5 MB being used. Ping results are also quite dire.

I don't know which step to take next. Is there something I can try on my own to fix the problem?

You say that with a download manager work well?

Maybe you need to setup some Windows settings, ever tried something like these?

TCPOptimizer settings and QoS reservable bandwitdh

Note that the second one cannot be done on standard Windows versions (useless further modding like with gpedit to Add Group Policy)

User is offline   Dr.Panico 

View PostThe Battlelord, on 05 January 2023 - 10:18 AM, said:

You say that with a download manager work well?

Maybe you need to setup some Windows settings, ever tried something like these?

TCPOptimizer settings and QoS reservable bandwitdh

Note that the second one cannot be done on standard Windows versions (useless further modding like with gpedit to Add Group Policy)

Tried TCPOptimizer. It did improve my speed a little bit, but it still struggles to download heavy files and with multitasking. Still, I can notice a improvement.

Thanks!

Perhaps you could use Wireshark to see what happens with individual packets. Since you need a Download Manager, I assume that the connection is dropped frequently for whatever reason.

Maybe also check the Windows Event log to see if there's anything relevant. As the problem only occurs on a single machine, it's safe to assume the problem resides locally, and not anywhere else in the network.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options