Duke4.net Forums: Using addictive translucency in eduke - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Using addictive translucency in eduke

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

Motion doesn't affect anything. It has to either be the asset, how it's defined or configured, or your local settings. The asset itself seems fine, I was able to stack multiple instances of it and other types of transparency and translucency without the issue you showed. So I'm thinking the issue is how the tile ID is defined, or your local renderer settings. I had to add additional definitions to the .def file to get the tile to load, so I'd like to see what other DEFs you have for that tile ID.

User is offline   VGames 

There’s nothing else for the projectile itself other then the “define NAMEOFPROJECTILE ####” bit of code I didn’t post earlier. I’ve posted everything coded for the projectile already. The stuff from alien Armageddon that’s in my DEF file is the only thing I didn’t post but I’m not sure if that has anything to do with this projectile. I just don’t understand how it’s not working when literally every effect in my mod is made the same way spritewise. I even made glowing sprites for the Liz troop fire laser projectiles. No issues there. Thanks for the help so far. I’ll post more when I get home. It could just be my GPU settings or something because that one pick of the red expander orbs didn’t have the rings showing up around them but in game they were definitely there. Something is off

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

What happens when you define the purple circle as the image asset for one of the other projectiles? Does the same issue occur?

Well since the explosions are on top of one another without issue and shrinker/expander sprites don't have any problems it might be the 32bit color. Try 'texturefromfile' instead of 'texture' to make it 8bit. You'll see color loss from dropping to 256 colors but it will give the full range of palettes & proper shades.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostReaper_Man, on 02 December 2022 - 04:20 AM, said:

I can't reproduce this with the code and assets you uploaded. What version of EDuke are you running? Post your eduke32.log and mapster.log files. Are you sure there are no other DEF tokens for this tile?

I think VGames is not using any cstat transparency. I'm pretty sure in his project the transparency on the projectile sprite comes entirely from the alpha on the image itself. Whereas in your screen you have applied cstat 2 to it. So I think that may be relevant.

User is offline   VGames 

Ok so this is what I put in the Duke3d.DEF file to make the muzzle flashes look correct in my mod:

numalphatables 128

blendtable 255 // Screen
{
    glblend { both { src ONE dst ONE } }
}

blendtable 254 // Multiply
{
    glblend { both { src ZERO dst SRC_COLOR } }
}

the muzzle flash sprites have a black aura around them so I assume this bit of code helps them blend out the black properly when using the sprites via a rotatea command.
I do not think this is causing any issue with the projectles.

@hendricks
When I make the plasma cannon projectiles use the green shrinker projectile sprites the issue goes away. And when I make the shrinker projectile use the purple plasma projectile sprites the issue also goes away.

Attached Image: duke0002.png

But when I make the plasma cannon use the purple plasma sprites the issue returns.
There must be something going on with the projectile code

Can you post the green one?

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

View PostDanukem, on 02 December 2022 - 01:35 PM, said:

I think VGames is not using any cstat transparency. I'm pretty sure in his project the transparency on the projectile sprite comes entirely from the alpha on the image itself. Whereas in your screen you have applied cstat 2 to it. So I think that may be relevant.

That was maybe a bad screenshot to use, but I tried every permutation I could think of for sprites with alphas, 32bit PNGs, cstat translucence, regular transparent sprites (like the fence), and even parallax skies like in their screenshot.

View PostVGames, on 02 December 2022 - 02:20 PM, said:

@hendricks
When I make the plasma cannon projectiles use the green shrinker projectile sprites the issue goes away. And when I make the shrinker projectile use the purple plasma projectile sprites the issue also goes away.

But when I make the plasma cannon use the purple plasma sprites the issue returns.
There must be something going on with the projectile code

Now that is really interesting. I assume the green shrinker sprite is also a 32bit PNG? Try this: In code, make the plasma shoot the shrinker sprite, but in your DEF, swap around the tile definitions (so the green sprite is now loading the purple orb). The plasma should now shoot the "green sprite" which is actually the purple sprite.

Beyond that, I'd start having the projectiles log their values for .alpha and .blend and even .cstat . I don't know what other properties could affect rendering, not that there's a flag that clears transparency or anything like that.

View PostVGames, on 02 December 2022 - 02:20 PM, said:

plasma projectile / shrinker sprite = working
plasma projectile / purple sprite = not working
shrinker projectile / plasma sprite = working
shrinker projectile / shrinker sprite = working

Right? Then it can't be the projectile code. And it can't be the sprite.

For a while a bad WORKSLIKE sum was preventing my projectile from animating but yours seems right:

WORKSLIKE 36878
32768 rpgimpact
4096 - noaim
8 - mirrorbounce
4 - wallbounce
2 - rpg

Maybe you're hitting some limit on blend mode that shouldn't be there; the plasma projectile happens to be the one failing because it was the last entry and your swapping it out with the other sprite temporarily "fixed" it

User is offline   VGames 

View Postlllllllllllllll, on 03 December 2022 - 01:30 AM, said:

plasma projectile / shrinker sprite = working
plasma projectile / purple sprite = not working
shrinker projectile / plasma sprite = working
shrinker projectile / shrinker sprite = working

Right? Then it can't be the projectile code. And it can't be the sprite.

For a while a bad WORKSLIKE sum was preventing my projectile from animating but yours seems right:

WORKSLIKE 36878
32768 rpgimpact
4096 - noaim
8 - mirrorbounce
4 - wallbounce
2 - rpg

Maybe you're hitting some limit on blend mode that shouldn't be there; the plasma projectile happens to be the one failing because it was the last entry and your swapping it out with the other sprite temporarily "fixed" it

I think u may be on to something. Maybe there’s just too many projectiles to keep up with. I’m gonna do some testing but I’m starting to think putting out too many sprites like this at once is the issue.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options