Duke4.net Forums: Something is breaking my mouses - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Something is breaking my mouses

User is offline   Dr.Panico 

There's something in my PC that appears to be gradually breaking my mouse. It gets to a point where the clicking gets wacky - one click can register as two; causing issues like opening a program twice, closing a window alongside with the window behind, opening two tabs in my browser, among others - and dragging becomes unstable. The thing is this is the THIRD time it happens. This is the third mouse I've been using this year, because this problem made simple interactions with my system a major pain.

At first, I've thought it was because I was using my mouse without a mousepad; something that would make perfect sense given that my cheap desk paint is peeling around the mouse area, and pieces of it could've got inside my mouse. So I bought a mousepad alongside my newest mouse to see if it would keep it from breaking. But I'm starting to suffer the same issues as before, and my mouse (from Multilaser) was bought just earlier this month.

I've tested my mouse on my notebook and the problem is the same, so its definitely something wrong with my mouse. But if its not dirt that's causing it, what is it then?

I've checked my computer for malwares and found nothing. I've changed the clicking speed on Control Panel and that only improves things for a brief moment.

I don't know if this is a driver problem, a USB port problem, or something else. What should I do?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Is there anyone else living with you who can test the mouse?

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Do you buy the same mouse every time? Do you buy cheap or premium? I'm a pixel artist and I change my mouse every year, your problem is pretty common to me. I doubt your PC can damage your device, and the mouse pad won't influence the clicking problem you got.

Is there anyone else living with you who can test the mouse?

Yes, but she's more accustomed with broken devices than I am. She might not find anything weird, relatively speaking.

Do you buy the same mouse every time? Do you buy cheap or premium?

I've bought mouses from different brands. The one I'm using now is from a reputable local brand; something I took care of since the last mouse I got before this one was a very cheap one. Unfortunately, I can't afford very expensive mouses right now, but I tried my best with this one.

Funny thing: my mouse decided not to act weird today. I have no idea how long this is going to last, so I won't say the problem went fully away. I'll be monitoring it in the next few days to see how it behaves.

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

When I speak, mouses start to work properly! *evil laugh*

Don't hesitate to buy a better mouse, if you use it a lot it's very important to have a comfortable grip and a stable working device. I also have a spare one, in case my mouse stops working.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDr.Panico, on 01 November 2022 - 08:54 AM, said:

Yes, but she's more accustomed with broken devices than I am. She might not find anything weird, relatively speaking.

The reason I asked is that I'm concerned that you might be the common factor here. Is it possible you have a shake in your hand that is undiagnosed or something like that?

View PostDanukem, on 02 November 2022 - 12:25 PM, said:

The reason I asked is that I'm concerned that you might be the common factor here. Is it possible you have a shake in your hand that is undiagnosed or something like that?

Not really. But I do have anxiety attacks ocasionally, which could very well be atleast part of the cause this time (the other times were definitely hardware issues); given how inconsistent the problem is with my current mouse.
Nevertheless, I'll be paying attention if nothing else happens in the future.

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostDanukem, on 02 November 2022 - 12:25 PM, said:

If it was to something related to the motor function of the hand it would be more overt IME. Maybe it could be a driver issue?

User is offline   Jeff 

Do you have any pets in your house? Mine did similar things, and I found out after opening the mouse it was clogged with cat fur.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Double-clicks usually mean the switches are wearing out, or are getting gummed up with conductive crud. Try opening the mouse, getting some rubbing alcohol, and pouring it into the switches for each mouse button, then clicking them a few times. Then, just let it dry for a bit before plugging back in. It may loosen up whatever is in them and get things working alright again, for a while at least. If that doesn't work, my next best suggestion is to get a mouse with optical switches, like the Razer Viper Mini. It's fairly affordable (around $39 CAD), and the switches in it are quite durable, pretty much immune to the double-clicking-on-single-click issue.

Late reply, but I recommend getting a mouse from a different manufacturer. I've used the same Logitech G502 for 7 years, and it hasn't broken yet.

(yes I do regularly clean the mouse as well, in case you're wondering)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options