Duke4.net Forums: Looking for old archived versions of programs (Duke3D source ports) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking for old archived versions of programs (Duke3D source ports)

User is offline   NY00123 

Hi all,

I want to see if anybody might have at least one early source port version as described here. Archives of these can assist with creating historical git repositories, but even without git, having such archives can still be worthy, say for research.

I don't actually expect to see anyone coming up with an archived copy, but I'm still trying. I do want to comply with the GPL for Duke3D, so I ask either for source or source+binary pairs, but not just for a binary-only archive (of a given version of a source port). I also prefer having original timestamps from the era for the archive (e.g., a zip file) and its contents, if present.

Here's the list in question:
* Versions of duke3d_w32 (Rancidmeat) preceding 19.1.
* In theory, versions 19.3 and 19.5 of Rancidmeat Reloaded (xDuke); In practice, probably never released, with version 19.6 being referred to as the first public release in the xDuke webpage.
* An early port (probably an initial cDuke3D release not yet titled cDuke3D) mentioned in a removed Shacknews page, with the page itself being linked from here (see the very first news posts): https://web.archive....ml/oldnews.html

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

If you have a collection of Duke3dw zip files, look inside Duke3dw_v 4026
it has a duke3d_w32.exe file in it. I didn't extract it and test so I don't know what it really is.

This post has been edited by Forge: 02 September 2022 - 06:31 AM

View PostForge, on 02 September 2022 - 06:27 AM, said:

If you have a collection of Duke3dw zip files, look inside Duke3dw_v 4026
it has a duke3d_w32.exe file in it. I didn't extract it and test so I don't know what it really is.

I unfortunately don't seem to locate a copy. Can you tell how large is the file? I know that EDuke32 used to include a wrapper named duke3d_w32.exe for compatibility with Dukester X, a multiplayer launcher from around 2006.

It might actually be a good idea to add Duke3dw and SWP to the list of source ports to search old archives of.

User is offline   Forge 

Attached File  Duke3dw_v 4026.zip (790.79K)
Number of downloads: 4

small enough to drop into a post.

looks like somebody started bundling these duke3dw releases into zips around 2009 - 2010, so it's hard to get a proper read on the original dates of most of the files

This post has been edited by Forge: 08 September 2022 - 08:53 AM

View PostForge, on 08 September 2022 - 08:50 AM, said:

Attachment Duke3dw_v 4026.zip

small enough to drop into a post.

looks like somebody started bundling these duke3dw releases into zips around 2009 - 2010, so it's hard to get a proper read on the original dates of most of the files

Nice, thanks! The original zip file probably had the same name, apart from the space character, but I didn't find a copy.

Regarding the included duke3d_w32.exe file, it's a wrapper, as I expected. In fact, it's not even a wrapper for Duke3dw, but rather for EDuke32. These are the contents of the generated wrapper.log file:

EDuke32 wrapper for Dukester X v0.02
Copyright (c) 2006 EDuke32 team

Args passed to wrapper: 
Final command line: eduke32.exe L

User is offline   Forge 

The only other ones I have are the 19.6, something that looks like might contain 19.6 (or later) - but it's file name is DukesterX_nogrp.
Then I have what looks like an already created directory populated with files and the included text suggests it's Build 20.3 Date: 7/23/2006 10:17pm PST.

sorry I couldn't be of more help. good luck with your search

This post has been edited by Forge: 13 September 2022 - 07:17 AM

View PostForge, on 13 September 2022 - 07:14 AM, said:

The only other ones I have are the 19.6, something that looks like might contain 19.6 (or later) - but it's file name is DukesterX_nogrp.
Then I have what looks like an already created directory populated with files and the included text suggests it's Build 20.3 Date: 7/23/2006 10:17pm PST.

The names of "Duke3dw_v 4026" and "DukesterX_nogrp" both lead to, let's say, a textual list of contents which I found online. I don't know if they can be retrieved and also, if it's ok to link to it here at all, so I won't do it here. But it does look like a collection of files which used to be distributed at the time.

Regarding duke3d_w32 build 20.3, it can still be downloaded. I got a copy of duke3d_w32_patch_20.3.zip with this timestamp: 2006-07-24 08:22:45 +0300.
It includes a directory named duke3d_w32_patch_20.3, with this timestamp, which looks quite close to yours: 2006-07-23 22:16:42
The file duke3d_w32_patch_20.3/README.txt actually has a bit later timestamp: 2006-07-23 22:19:44

sorry I couldn't be of more help. good luck with your search

Regardless, thanks for looking for the files! In case I won't hear about something new in the following month, I'll allow myself to create at least one public git repository; Not necessarily exactly after a month from now, so this might come later.

While not adding any new archive, I want to correct myself about Rancidmeat Reloaded. According to an old copy of the page in the internet archive, version 19.3 was released, at least in binary-only form dating back to 20 Nov 2005. The website said this:

Source Code Free under Gnu. [to come. Need to clean up before]

It also mentioned this, presumably before eventually identifying the following release as v19.5 instead of 19.4:

This version v19.3 is for tester use only. The public release will be the v19.4 and ready in 1 or 2 weeks from now. V19.4 will be released at the same time as Dukesterx v.2.0 that will better support Rancidmeat for netgames. Come soon and enjoy Duke Nukem 3d Netgames!

I couldn't find a separate archived page listing v19.5 as released, but v19.6 became available in January or February of 2006. If January, then the binaries were re-packaged, probably to include an additional file named "null.txt" for Dukester X (1.5 series). The source code was packaged in January 2006, according to the timestamps I have here.

This post has been edited by NY00123: 24 September 2022 - 12:07 PM

User is offline   Forge 

probably not helpful, but this page exists

http://www.rancidmea...oject.php3?id=1

basically a non-archived version of a page you posted earlier with newer news releases & with a tiny bit of stuff in a 'files' section, that you probably already know about, but might help someone else with the search

This post has been edited by Forge: 25 September 2022 - 07:09 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options