Duke4.net Forums: Randy's touted DNF build collection will never come out. Here's why. - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Randy's touted DNF build collection will never come out. Here's why.

Facts:
- The distribution rights for anything DNF belong to 2K.
- 2K has always taken an anti-modding stance.
- The DNF leak includes the source code.

Inference:
With the source code from the leak and the assets from other builds, it would be possible to mod those builds, complete them and even make new games.
This is also valid for the Quake and Quake2-based builds, because Quake and Quake2 are open source under the GPL. Any id Tech-based release would require the source code to be also released, which would turn them into a playground for modders.

Conclusion:
That is an outcome 2K wants to prevent at all cost, and the only way is to never allow Gearbox to release anything DNF-related.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yep. 2k freaking sucks.

Yes, that's why 2K has given Randy a sublicense to commercially redistribute DNF legacy content, and that this leak means nothing in the grand scheme of things of a collection or the existing sublicense still being valid. Otherwise where's the fucking reaction from 2k or gbx? we got more out of fucking George and Scott than any people who legally own any rights to DN or DNF.
The reality is that Randy is too busy with whatever media project he's working on (which may or may not also include the Duke movie) and GBX publishing or whatever branch or team or whatever the fuck was assigned to the collection (Randy IIRC mentioned Publishing in the 2020 stream where he confirmed again the collection + 2001 build was in the works, and this was after denying the build coming out during July 2019 just as an extra shits and giggles moment) and doesn't really care much about the collection or 2001.
He or whatever team assigned to it probably saw it was too much time and money involved and just bailed out or it's an extremely low priority project - Randy cares more and even has talked more about a Duke movie than anything else, and 2K gives zero fucks about DNF.
If the modders were to make money off DNF mods, sure I can see either company taking action against these specific modders, but otherwise lol no. They don't care.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

The GPL wouldn’t apply to DNF as the license would be whatever was negotiated in 1997

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

My theory, which is 100% my opinion and not based off of anything else, is that the leak is semi-official and we will probably see more. Because as Altered Reality stated, there really is no path to an official release.

View PostJimmy, on 29 July 2022 - 06:03 PM, said:

My theory, which is 100% my opinion and not based off of anything else, is that the leak is semi-official and we will probably see more. Because as Altered Reality stated, there really is no path to an official release.

I've actually leaned towards that theory, also.

User is offline   Green 

View PostAltered Reality, on 29 July 2022 - 03:09 PM, said:

Facts:
- The distribution rights for anything DNF belong to 2K.
- 2K has always taken an anti-modding stance.
- The DNF leak includes the source code.

Inference:
With the source code from the leak and the assets from other builds, it would be possible to mod those builds, complete them and even make new games.
This is also valid for the Quake and Quake2-based builds, because Quake and Quake2 are open source under the GPL. Any id Tech-based release would require the source code to be also released, which would turn them into a playground for modders.

Conclusion:
That is an outcome 2K wants to prevent at all cost, and the only way is to never allow Gearbox to release anything DNF-related.

View PostFuturetime23, on 29 July 2022 - 05:09 PM, said:

Yes, that's why 2K has given Randy a sublicense to commercially redistribute DNF legacy content, and that this leak means nothing in the grand scheme of things of a collection or the existing sublicense still being valid. Otherwise where's the fucking reaction from 2k or gbx? we got more out of fucking George and Scott than any people who legally own any rights to DN or DNF.
The reality is that Randy is too busy with whatever media project he's working on (which may or may not also include the Duke movie) and GBX publishing or whatever branch or team or whatever the fuck was assigned to the collection (Randy IIRC mentioned Publishing in the 2020 stream where he confirmed again the collection + 2001 build was in the works, and this was after denying the build coming out during July 2019 just as an extra shits and giggles moment) and doesn't really care much about the collection or 2001.
He or whatever team assigned to it probably saw it was too much time and money involved and just bailed out or it's an extremely low priority project - Randy cares more and even has talked more about a Duke movie than anything else, and 2K gives zero fucks about DNF.
If the modders were to make money off DNF mods, sure I can see either company taking action against these specific modders, but otherwise lol no. They don't care.

This is largely accurate. Here's my previous post addressing this which remains relevant on this topic, and was also in response to yet another claim Altered Reality made on the basis of absolutely nothing factual.

Posted Image

To further add to this, here's another post of mine from 2018 that has several quotes from Randy Pitchford on this topic: https://forums.duke4...post__p__309926

and here's the latest word we have from Randy Pitchford himself on this content that once again repeats the point that they've got a license from 2K to publish this content, in reference to the old material, modding tools, and more: https://twitter.com/...010192659771393

The fact of the matter is Duke Nukem isn't exactly a profitable or popular franchise, there's no reason to go as far as to intentionally mislead people about possessing a license from 2K to handle this content - this has been restated several times. What is a matter of question is if Gearbox will ever bother following through and exploiting that license, or if they see little value or possible financial return in doing so. To add to this the situation evolved with Gearbox being acquired by Embracer recently - Embracer in the past have operated under the modus operandi of developing value in old disused or dead franchises as part of their business, it's quite literally in their financial reports when referencing how their company operates to develop value as part of their rampant acquisitions. If anything that increases the possibility of something happening, but I wouldn't be holding my breath as that could take many forms and could be a long way off. It simply opens up the possibility of a network of studios being able to pitch something related to that franchise, and the operators of that company looking to exploit the franchise to develop some value in it. It's just yet another tip on the scales towards there eventually being something related to the franchise releasing but it's not something anyone should be intentionally waiting for as if it'll occur any time soon.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Thats odd... lately on the Duke Nukem channel of the 3D Realms discord, Scott Miller have stated that the publishing licence they had with 2K was a 10-12 years long one (pre-Steam era when support always dropped after nearly a decade), and most likely have been reconducted by Gearbox when they got the rights, and theorising its the reason the leak was possible without 2K reacting, as Gearbox would be in full possession of the right for everything DNF related as of now... although he is not 100% sure, it would ask him to search deep into the legal documents

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 30 July 2022 - 10:48 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options