Duke4.net Forums: DNF 2001 - Modding and Discoveries - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF 2001 - Modding and Discoveries  "Let the games begin"

User is offline   pitsloan 

ZimnyKartofel, on 16 May 2022 - 09:10 AM, said:

Hi all.

Does anyone know the lock codes for doors, containers etc.? I can't figure out the codes for bike container in "Matador" level and code for the level with Duke's throne.

The code for Duke's throne is on his computer located within an email. As for the container codes, I'm unsure.

There's a nearby trailer with a notepad in it. You get the container code by using the notepad.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

pitsloan, on 16 May 2022 - 11:01 AM, said:

The code for Duke's throne is on his computer located within an email. As for the container codes, I'm unsure.

I noticed that after seeing the guy and or visiting the trailer, you get the main container code in your SOS console.

User is offline   Raziel 

Well, not really a useful discovery, but I've wasted several hours trying to fix the hair issue.

My first suspicion was that it could be an issue with the alpha blending code and I've tried messing with various src/dest blending modes and other related settings in the code and while it somewhat made a difference, overall the hair glitching remained. My second theory was that it could be related to the fairly elaborate hair physics code they wrote, but I completely disabled that and it made no difference. I've also tried using the editor itself and made various adjustments to the texture and object data (like removing the skeletal mesh and LOD data), but again, no luck.

It looks like the hair geometry itself is glitching for some reason, but I just can't seem to figure out what's causing it. In short:
* It doesn't just seem like the alpha blending that's messed up
* It doesn't seem related to the hair physics code
* Based on how it's glitching, I don't *think* it's related to the hair model's normals either, but that would be worth checking if someone's managed to get the cannibal editor running.
* After my tweaks to the alpha blending code which makes the hair more or less solid (I wasn't able to disable alpha blending completely), bits of geometry will just disappear which leads me to believe the geometry itself is glitching, or perhaps the normals of the geometry is getting altered and causing some triangles not to be rendered.

I haven't figured out where it attaches the hair to the character models though, so it's possible that something weird is happening at that point. Overall it's a strange issue since it only seems to affect the hair, but at the end of the day, the hair isn't really that different from any other mesh in the game... I thought perhaps it was because the texture had an alpha channel, but even removing the alpha channel made no difference.

The glitching hair is probably the most annoying feature in the leaked build. So if anyone figures it out, please let me know.

This post has been edited by Raziel: 18 May 2022 - 08:55 PM

The hair issue seems to mostly be related to depth sorting, which is why the hair will sometimes render fine depending on where you're standing relative to the NPC. I did an experiment where I ported UTGLR to DNF, and the hair rendered fine:
Posted Image
That UTGLR port is very incomplete though (the game crashes very often with it, particles don't render, and transparency on some surfaces is completely broken).
UTGLR has a number of zbuffer-related tricks in it, so you could try porting some of those to DNF's DirectX renderer and see if that improves things.

User is offline   Raziel 

TheZombieKiller, on 19 May 2022 - 12:48 AM, said:

The hair issue seems to mostly be related to depth sorting, which is why the hair will sometimes render fine depending on where you're standing relative to the NPC.

Yeah, that'd make sense.

I don't suppose there's a way to turn off the alpha blending on the hair? I tried but couldn't figure out what's actually enabling the blending. If the hair was rendered as solid geometry without transparency, there'd be no reason to do a depth sort which would likely fix the issue. I assumed the texture having an alpha channel would be the thing enabling it, but even removing the alpha channel didn't seem to do it, though I might give it another try.

Looking at the E3 trailer at the end at the strip club, you can see the hair had alpha blending disabled, so I don't think disabling it is a massive issue if it means getting the hair working:
https://youtu.be/83aBCoLTuwI?t=135

This post has been edited by Raziel: 19 May 2022 - 02:32 AM

User is offline   Raziel 

Okay, I've got the hair rendering working around 90% in most cases. It still needs some work, cleanup and testing before I can get it out there though. But right now I need to focus on my actual dev job which I get paid for, so that's the priority.

This post has been edited by Raziel: 19 May 2022 - 02:57 PM

Raziel, on 19 May 2022 - 02:56 PM, said:

Okay, I've got the hair rendering working around 90% in most cases. It still needs some work, cleanup and testing before I can get it out there though. But right now I need to focus on my actual dev job which I get paid for, so that's the priority.

Wow well done!

User is offline   Scarred 

ZimnyKartofel, on 16 May 2022 - 09:10 AM, said:

Hi all.

Does anyone know the lock codes for doors, containers etc.? I can't figure out the codes for bike container in "Matador" level and code for the level with Duke's throne.

when you go into the trailer, there should be a notepad that you have to "interact" with and the code pops up in the top left corner of the screen ( where all the unvoiced dialogue goes )

User is offline   Raziel 

I've uploaded my hair fix to Mod DB: https://www.moddb.co...artial-hair-fix

The patch should fix the visibility of hair on most characters in the game, but there are some issues with the rendering code that isn't fixed by the patch:
  • Hair polygons are not properly sorted back-to-front which causes artefacts within the hair when viewed from certain angles.
  • When multiple characters are on screen, hair geometry often glitches out.
  • There are some lighting issues affecting the E3 girl's hair in Slick Willy, likely not a bug in the rendering code, I suspect it's caused by poor light placement in that map. Those lighting issues don't occur in the E3 version of the same map: !z1l4_2-retex.dnf

The patch doesn't fix every single character in the game, only the ones that were correctly set up in the editor with a hair mesh using the M_Hair actor or one of its subclasses like M_HairPhysics. I didn't want to go through and fix every level where a character wasn't set up properly, but this patch lays the ground-work for someone else to do so.

The patch isn't perfect, but it's a big improvement over the unpatched version and hair should at least be visible for most characters with some minor graphical glitches.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: HairFix.jpg

This post has been edited by Raziel: 21 May 2022 - 02:24 AM

User is offline   hiczok 

thanks!
btw - anyone found out any differences october/august ?

This post has been edited by hiczok: 21 May 2022 - 06:55 AM

I figured out how to fix save/load

After you patch and build your "October 26" folder rename the folder to "October"

I was looking at the logs and found this;

Log: Browse: LoadGame BEGIN: C:\Games\DNF2001\October 26\System\..\Players\Duke\Save\Auto0001\Game.dns? load
Log: URL: Original URL: C:\Games\DNF2001\October 26\System\..\Players\Duke\Save\Auto0001\Game.dns? load
Log: URL: Escaped URL: C:\Games\DNF2001\October 26\System\..\Players\Duke\Save\Auto0001\Game.dns? load
Log: LoadMap: C:\Games\DNF2001\October%2026\System\..\Players\ Duke\Save\Auto0001\Game.dns?Name=Duke%20Nukem?Class=dnGame.DukePlayer? team=0?Mesh=c_characters.duke?Face=?Torso=?Arms=?Legs=?Voice=dngame.MalePlayerSounds? Icon=p_portraiticons.p_NukeSymbol1?Spectate=?load
DevAudio: Galaxy SetViewport: WindowsViewport___0
Log: Inside appThrowf
Log: Can't find file 'C:\Games\DNF2001\October\System\..\Players\ Duke\Save\Auto0001\Game.dns'
Warning: Failed to load 'C:\Games\DNF2001\October\System\..\Players\ Duke\Save\Auto0001\Game.dns': Can't find file 'C:\Games\DNF2001\October\System\..\Players\ Duke\Save\Auto0001\Game.dns'
Log: Can't find file 'C:\Games\DNF2001\October\System\..\Players\ Duke\Save\Auto0001\Game.dns'
Log: Browse: LoadGame FAILED: C:\Games\DNF2001\October 26\System\..\Players\Duke\Save\Auto0001\Game.dns? load

It looks like it isn't translating the space properly for saves and can't find it. Change the folder name and bam, you can save and load properly.

As long as there is no space anywhere in its folder address you should be fine. So you could put it in it's own standalone folder without a space in its name and you should be good.

I literally made an account to add this, I love Duke, it was one of my earliest memories on PC along with Civ 2. I can't wait to continue to delve into this unreleased gem.

This post has been edited by LiquidOtacon: 21 May 2022 - 05:33 PM

The Computer in Duke's Study may have actually been an idea to send emails to yourself / others in the game. The log outputs;

Log: Can't find smtpserver.
Log: DnExec: Can't find smtpserver
ScriptLog: Console: Failed to send message.

User is offline   nino76 

LiquidOtacon, on 21 May 2022 - 05:56 PM, said:

The Computer in Duke's Study may have actually been an idea to send emails to yourself / others in the game. The log outputs;

Yes. On the forum 3d realms in 2003-2005, George Broussard wrote about such a possibility - sending email from the game.

I believe this was mentioned when some magazine, I think PC Gamer, saw DNF in 2005-2006. Talking about Duke typing an email with animated fingers. When the reporter got home he was dissappointed that no email had arrived But later, I think a month or so, he found the email in his spam folder.

User is offline   anpper 

LiquidOtacon, on 21 May 2022 - 05:16 PM, said:

I figured out how to fix save/load

After you patch and build your "October 26" folder rename the folder to "October"

I was looking at the logs and found this;

It looks like it isn't translating the space properly for saves and can't find it. Change the folder name and bam, you can save and load properly.

As long as there is no space anywhere in its folder address you should be fine. So you could put it in it's own standalone folder without a space in its name and you should be good.

I literally made an account to add this, I love Duke, it was one of my earliest memories on PC along with Civ 2. I can't wait to continue to delve into this unreleased gem.

Thx mate, thats a massive help, since making progress was hard haha. PS: just press ESC if u game is crashing after load

This post has been edited by anpper: 22 May 2022 - 07:38 AM

anpper, on 22 May 2022 - 07:36 AM, said:

Thx mate, thats a massive help, since making progress was hard haha. PS: just press ESC if u game is crashing after load

Happy I was able to figure it out! The only thing is it seems when you try to load a save in a level you are not currently loaded into it crashes. Going to try to dig into this more too

Kristian Joensen, on 22 May 2022 - 12:15 AM, said:

I believe this was mentioned when some magazine, I think PC Gamer, saw DNF in 2005-2006. Talking about Duke typing an email with animated fingers. When the reporter got home he was dissappointed that no email had arrived But later, I think a month or so, he found the email in his spam folder.

I found this.

Edit:

http://legacy.duke4....r/cgmay06/2.jpg

There is an unoffical community installer for fetching the repo for 2001 and applying differrent mods on the 2001 community discord.

Its a little complicated (requires some computer technicalness), and is still being worked on by me; Known on discord as ⚧Drāthianna⚥#7777

https://discord.gg/eRWJPe2WTx

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Screenshot_13.png
  • Attached Image: Screenshot_14.png

sorry wrong screenshots lol! I'm too tired after all of this.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Screenshot_3.png
  • Attached Image: Screenshot_4.png
  • Attached Image: Screenshot_5.png
  • Attached Image: Screenshot_6.png
  • Attached Image: Screenshot_7.png

User is offline   Lunick 

That should be linked somewhere other than inside some Discord

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

All I can think is "HEERRRE LEEZARD LEEZARD LEEZARD!"

If anyone needs this I dumped all of the audio in the dnf leak to wav files you can download it here: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options