Duke4.net Forums: Chocolate Duke - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Chocolate Duke  "Does something like this exist?"

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I've always had at least one version of Duke3D installed. Whether it was the DOS version or Eduke32. But I've never really explored other ports. Is there a lean and mean port akin to Chocolate Doom that I could use?

I'm working on a Duke Nukem project, and I want to be kept within the limits of the original game, but not have to run it through DOSBox to get that effect.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

There is a Chocolate Duke port but my first instinct would be to suggest RedNukem.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

There's this, but it appears it is no longer being worked on and has since been archived.

If you want things to be faithful to the DOS game but want something that is still updated regularly then you ought to try Rednukem.
edit - Jimmy got to it as I was typing !

This post has been edited by DNSKILL420: 10 February 2022 - 04:33 PM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Keep in mind that while Rednukem is as close to vanilla as we got, it still has extended limits compared to DOS Duke. This should have no consequence for simply playing the game, but if you're mapping and want to ensure the map runs in DOS you still have to test there.

User is offline   NY00123 

For the ones who don't know, Chocolate Duke3D was originally started as a fork of xDuke, the latter being created as a fork of Rancidmeat's Duke3d_w32. Duke3d_w32 itself was originally a derivative of Icculus' port.

A side-effect of this is that Chocolate Duke3D's demo compatibility should be inherited from xDuke, at least originally; And the latter isn't fully compatible with the original 3 demos from Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition v1.5.

As far as I know, Rednukem and DukeGDX are the only ports to modern platforms which should be compatible with these demos. Additionally, you can grab Duke3D v1.5's DOS game code, along with reconstructed Build Engine sources that match this version.

User is offline   jkas789 

Yeah Rednukem should be the way to go

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

There's also this:
https://github.com/G...ChocolateDuke3D

Seems to be a fork of the original Chocolate Duke3D which was last updated in mid 2020. Dunno how good it is since there doesn't seem to be a compiled build on that Github page, but looks like you can even make an x64 build from it.

*UPDATE*
Link updated. Looks like there IS a build now since 2022. Seems it's playable, besides flawed demo playback and crashes with DNCLIP.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options