Duke4.net Forums: Windows 11 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows 11  "Microsoft's new and upcoming OS."

Is anyone looking forward to Windows 11? What are your thoughts on it? My PC's got the requirement for it to run 11. You'll need a TPM 2.0 module for it to run or it might not work after all. Here's the AMD and Intel Windows 11 supported links posted below. Any CPU not on that list won't run.

Windows 11 supported Intel processors.

Windows 11 supported AMD processors.

Also. Has anyone is having concerns that 32-bit apps like eduke32, DOSBox and non-DOS 1990's/2000's games that won't work on 11? I hope and pray that everything old works fine on there. Are you gonna upgrade when it comes out on October 5?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Freaking liars. Microsoft said Windows 10 would be the last version with just perpetual updates. What changed?

I watched a video of 2kliksphilip who tried out the currently available Windows 11 preview or beta or whatever it is. He said it was loaded with glitches and there are a bunch of little useful things to do with navigating or something that Microsoft (in true Microsoft fashion) has removed for no reason. Every version of Windows they release they remove something that was really useful and intuitive. I don't remember exactly what it was (or what they were) but here's the video anyway:

I'm not excited about it.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 September 2021 - 05:08 PM

User is offline   Hank 

Posted Image

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 September 2021 - 05:05 PM, said:

Freaking liars. Microsoft said Windows 10 would be the last version with just perpetual updates. What changed?

I watched a video of 2kliksphilip who tried out the currently available Windows 11 preview or beta or whatever it is. He said it was loaded with glitches and there are a bunch of little useful things to do with navigating or something that Microsoft (in true Microsoft fashion) has removed for no reason. Every version of Windows they release they remove something that was really useful and intuitive. I don't remember exactly what it was (or what they were) but here's the video anyway:

I'm not excited about it.

Windows 11 is the reason I'm finally taking steps to go full Linux. My trusty potato can't afaik update to windows 11.

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postjkas789, on 20 September 2021 - 12:20 PM, said:

Windows 11 is the reason I'm finally taking steps to go full Linux. My trusty potato can't afaik update to windows 11.

And with all the advancements in Proton for SteamOS 3.0 coming to us courtesy of the Steam Deck (all of us, not just the Steam Deck owners), it's more viable than ever to game on Linux. This doesn't help me however as I depend on Windows for at least my audio production software and plugin library which I'm not convinced will work under Linux even via WINE. I'll likely have to dual-boot. I certainly won't be updating to Win11 though until I absolutely have to.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 September 2021 - 07:06 PM, said:

This doesn't help me however as I depend on Windows for at least my audio production software and plugin library which I'm not convinced will work under Linux even via WINE. I'll likely have to dual-boot. I certainly won't be updating to Win11 though until I absolutely have to.

I also use some medical software to view CAT scans and the like, however I believe there should be a Linux so I'm not that worried. At the end of the day the thing keeping me in Windows is gaming.

Windows 11 is rolling out today. I might give it a shot when it's available.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostDustFalcon85, on 18 September 2021 - 06:48 PM, said:

Also. Has anyone is having concerns that 32-bit apps like eduke32, DOSBox and non-DOS 1990's/2000's games that won't work on 11? I hope and pray that everything old works fine on there. Are you gonna upgrade when it comes out on October 5?

Both EDuke32 and DOSBox have 64-bit builds. However Win 11 only running on 64-bit systems doesn't mean it won't run 32-bit software. AFAIK the 32-bit version of Win 10 still supports 16-bit Windows programs.

I'm not updating to windows 11. Too heavy and bloated, there is some issues with gaming on it and I'm not a fan of all the bullshit hoops Microsoft is making me jump to make me upgrade. I'll ride Windows 10 for a while then finally switch to Manjaro permanently when I get the time to do it.

Fuck Windows.

• The Sarien Encounter

I have very few limbs still on the Windows train myself. It won't take much for me to abandon it as my main usage system and only go back to it for my necessary programs that I need to work in a 100% true Windows environment.

I jumped ship at home when 7 support ended and went to Linux Mint. My work PC is on W10 but can't use W11 as the CPU is too old (2013); my home PC is a 2008 Dell Xeon machine so not a hope in hell even if I wanted to run Windows on it. For me, Windows has jumped the shark anyway Posted Image

User is offline   Tekedon 

No windows 11 for me. I5 6600 cpu here :(

Could? Yes.
Would? no way in hell. I'm tired of Microshit BS.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 08 October 2021 - 01:24 PM

User is online   Ninety-Six 

View Postjkas789, on 23 September 2021 - 07:56 PM, said:

At the end of the day the thing keeping me in Windows is gaming.

I'm stuck in the same trap. I've wanted out since Microsoft pulled their malware tricks with 10. Not that I was happy with them before. 7 was the pinnacle, and everything after it got worse and worse. And Microsoft knew that which is why they tried to force 10 onto people.

The trap's teeth are even sharper for those of us who are more into the retro or more obscure gaming scene, for which a lot of the older software or even emulation just isn't as supported on other platforms.

I'll probably move to 11 kicking and screaming, but that won't be for a while yet because of the rather steep hardware reqs.

View PostNinety-Six, on 13 October 2021 - 03:14 PM, said:

The trap's teeth are even sharper for those of us who are more into the retro or more obscure gaming scene, for which a lot of the older software or even emulation just isn't as supported on other platforms.

Speaking personally, I've had more issues with old games in Windows 8 than in Linux. Which isn't to say I haven't had issues in Linux, but I've had less. Though I must admit my issues in Linux tend to be much more random than my issues in Windows. Games work just fine in some WINE versions, but don't in others. And most of the ones that don't work in WINE period tend to be ones that were unstable in Windows to begin with. Modern games tend to be more of an issue for me, especially Unreal Engine 4 titles, which never work properly, ever.

View PostMorpheus Kitami, on 15 October 2021 - 06:21 PM, said:

Speaking personally, I've had more issues with old games in Windows 8 than in Linux.

To be perfectly fair, Windows 8 isn't a high bar. Even by Windows standards.

Well, I went straight from XP to 8, so that's my standard on modern Windows compatibility. It had less issues than you would think, but ultimately a virtual machine was the better choice for most '90s Windows games.

View PostMorpheus Kitami, on 16 October 2021 - 07:59 AM, said:

but ultimately a virtual machine was the better choice for most '90s Windows games.

I've debated about getting one set up. I do know they're ideal. I think I'm just waiting to find one that I absolutely need to play and has no better option.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options