Duke4.net Forums: So, we have are getting a KOTOR remake... - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So, we have are getting a KOTOR remake...  "I'm feeling a disturbance in the force."

User is offline   jkas789 

So, a remake of KOTOR was announced in the Playstation Showcase 2021:

Now I know what you are thinking. It's KOTOR WOOOOOOOOOO! Except in the post show interview with one of the devs they mention this starting at 13:06:

This is a complete remake of this beloved Star Wars story...we are rebuilding from the ground up while maintaining that integrity of story and character.

...the original Knights of the Old Republic is a true classic and one of our favorite Star Wars stories ever. We want to honor that original story and make is as impactful for players today...

What is this? Is my spider sense tingling?

Attached Image: external-content.duckduckgo.com.png

As it turns out, Sam Maggs has allegedly been hired to re write the KOTOR story. If you don't know who that is, don't feel bad. Nobody really does.

TLDR:

Attached Image: Screenshot_3.jpg

If you want more information on how lovely of a human being Maggs is you can read the Twitter thread here.

So what do you think? Are you excited for the future of nu KOTOR? Or at this point you are like me and want to watch a trash fire burn?

Bonus Rounds:

This post has been edited by jkas789: 11 September 2021 - 07:47 AM

User is offline   Outtagum 

"maintaining that integrity of story and character"

Guessing this will not age well.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

KOTOR 1-2 are in my top 10 of all time and I feel nothing for this. Those games will always exist. They can't take that away from me.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I was hyped for all of 24 hours. Then I went back to not caring. I guess I will be pushing through the combat system in the original game after all (which I didn't like) to experience the story finally. With all the terminology like "modern audience", "changing character designs, dialogue, and more", and "deconstructing the game" to make things more "meaningful and impactful".....yeah consider me tuned out. At the very least I'm waiting for reviews on the remake.

Just egomaniac writers thinking they can improve on a classic that literally nobody complained about but apparently needs fixing and updating. Just trying to make their mark.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 11 September 2021 - 11:00 AM

I miss being excited by a Star Wars game. Wasn't there a new space fighter game from Star Wars that was supposed to be good? Or did I imagined that?

• The Sarien Encounter

Star Wars Squadrons. People liked it but jept saying there could be more content. And that it was better in 2D rather than VR apparently. Inhave it but have yet to play it...

IT KEEPS GETTING BETTER!

From a interview with StarWars.com:

We’ve been working really, really closely with Aspyr for a long time now to deconstruct what made KOTOR so great and bring that back to new audiences, because we want this game to be an incredible RPG,” says Kellogg. “We want this game to be just as beloved as it was before. Some of my favorite meetings to have in my week right now are to get into the nitty gritty with Aspyr and talk about, ‘Why did we make that choice in the original game and how does that play today? How do we expand that choice and make it even more meaningful and impactful?’ We think about, literally, every word of dialogue and [other choices] down to the clothes that the character is wearing.”

“We trust Aspyr, we trust the team that’s working on it, and we’re doing the work ourselves to dig in, deconstruct, and reconnect to why people love it because we don’t want to mess with that. We love it, too, and so we want to do it right. We hope everybody feels we’ve done this game a service when all is said and done.”

Guest_Bubble Gum Chewer_*

SOYTOR? Just another day of parasites making their nests everywhere.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I never played the original KOTOR games, are they worth the while? I'm not a super big fan of SW except for Dark Forces, and from watching a few videos of both KOTOR1 and 2 I could not figure out if I wanted to actually play it.

Sometimes I pick an old game at GOG that I remember being praised back in the early 2000s or so when it was new, play for a while and it feels boring.

• banned!

View PostMrFlibble, on 15 September 2021 - 02:22 AM, said:

I never played the original KOTOR games, are they worth the while?

Admittedly it's been years since I played them, and I was a sad lonely teenager that cared more about living through stories and characters back then, but yeah, they were fun. Felt like a better Star Wars story-wise than the prequels or any of the newer films.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostMrFlibble, on 15 September 2021 - 02:22 AM, said:

I never played the original KOTOR games, are they worth the while? I'm not a super big fan of SW except for Dark Forces, and from watching a few videos of both KOTOR1 and 2 I could not figure out if I wanted to actually play it.

Sometimes I pick an old game at GOG that I remember being praised back in the early 2000s or so when it was new, play for a while and it feels boring.

It's really the world-building and the storytelling that people loved it for I think. It was also the first Star Wars game to take place in an era other than during the life of a Skywalker. Plus there's this really big twist as you go through the story that people still talk about. I'm sorry it was blown for me because honestly it's pretty cool and I wish I'd have experienced it while playing the game for the first time instead. But as for gameplay, it's an RPG. I don't find it particularly fun. I guess it's the characters and story that people love it for the most, which seems typical of a classic Bioware game I guess.

The second one has its fans as well. I know even less about it though. They're both likely got the best storytelling of all Star Wars video games.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 September 2021 - 05:27 PM

• banned!

I really don't even think of it as an RPG with turn based combat, it's more like an interactive movie where you occasionally perform actions. That isn't to say that the gameplay isn't good, but like MusicallyInspired said, that's not what people remember it for. KOTOR 1 is the clear winner, but the sequel is great too. KOTOR 2 was most memorable to me for the ability to find and re-assemble HK-47. Felt like that was driving most of my actions in the game, lol.

This post has been edited by Futa Orc: 16 September 2021 - 10:01 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options