Duke4.net Forums: TROR tutorial thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TROR tutorial thread

User is offline   Mark 

I've been using TROR for years but up until now I've never had a need to copy/paste a section. How do I select the upper and lower sections together? I'll be pasting them to a different map if that has any bearing on how to do things.

This post has been edited by Mark: 27 December 2021 - 07:37 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMark, on 27 December 2021 - 07:29 AM, said:

I've been using TROR for years but up until now I've never had a need to copy/paste a section. How do I select the upper and lower sections together? I'll be pasting them to a different map if that has any bearing on how to do things.

Same way you normally copy-paste map sections

i usually select the lower sectors first, then move to the upper sector and use the alt-ctrl-' to select the sectors occupying the same space as the ones below (they will look "double" highlighted).

there's probably an easier way by selecting bunches or something, but i don't do this very often and i'm too lazy to look it up.

just a simple example:
gonna get down there in the lower section
Attached Image: capt0000.jpg

Attached Image: capt0003.jpg

and we'll just select it all with rt-alt
Attached Image: capt0004.jpg

This post has been edited by Forge: 27 December 2021 - 08:50 AM

User is offline   Forge 

now the 'fun' bit (the more sectors you have to snipe, the 'more funner' it gets)

we'll now just get ourselves into the upper section
Attached Image: capt0005.jpg

yup. those dang lower sectors are still glowing at us
Attached Image: capt0006.jpg

that's fine. just fine. Time to pull out the ol' rt-ctrl+rt-alt+' key combination and get the + symbol next to out cursor
Attached Image: capt0007.jpg

start sniping those sectors, including the ones already glowing, for that extra sunshine glow. Gonna make that map sparkle like new
Attached Image: capt0008.jpg

This post has been edited by Forge: 27 December 2021 - 08:52 AM

User is offline   Forge 

so there I was, working on my carpal tunnel....
Attached Image: capt0009.jpg

3 hours later. not really, but really. Finally got all those pokies
Attached Image: capt0010.jpg

then we just opened up and that new map and let the mapster program do some magic tricks
Attached Image: capt0011.jpg

User is offline   Mark 

Bah, in the time it took me to fail I probably could have rebuilt this church instead of trying to copy it over. The closest to success I had was the church copied with it's tror intact but the whole thing, sectors, sprites and interior models flickered in and out like crazy. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I created the inside of the church using scissoring. The church started as just a building for decoration but later I wanted it to become player space. Thats why the shortcut of scissoring.

Or maybe I just screwed up somehow during the process. I'll try again later when the frustration wears off.

Thanks Forge.

This post has been edited by Mark: 27 December 2021 - 09:42 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Holding rctrl then rshift will allow you to select ALL sectors within the rectangle.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMicky C, on 31 December 2021 - 03:59 PM, said:

Holding rctrl then rshift will allow you to select ALL sectors within the rectangle.

have i been doing it wrong or something?
rt ctrl + rt shift on my setup selects sprites only without selecting vertice
been like that for awhile, but i haven't updated my snapshot in quite some time

ah.
it's rt alt + rt shift on my rig

yes. convenient for the simple example
with my snapshot:
the layers still have to be selected separately - that key combo does not grab both layers

I gave the more tedious key combo because not every instance is going to be easily grabbed squares isolated from the rest of the map.
In some instances it'd be easier to bulk grab a layer, then use rt ctrl + rt alt + ; and remove the sectors they don't want copied.
But yes, if the mapper has done some advanced planning and makes the desired layers to be copied in a place they have easy access to, then that key combo will save some time.

This post has been edited by Forge: 01 January 2022 - 02:46 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Not to mention the difficulty of reaching with my left hand to do the awkward rt-ctrl+rt-alt+' key presses. Every combo of finger positioning I tried was uncomfortable. ;)

User is offline   FlashPW 

Hey people, I came back to use mapster after a long time without using it and I got interested to use TROR feature but I'm having an issue.

I'm playing to make a dukematch map inside a mall with two floors, it's going okay but I needed to lower the TROR level from the top sector and I need delete some inner sectors of a escalator of the bottom one, when I do, makes the entire TROR of both sections being removed.

Now I'm trying to join these sectors again but I'm getting stuck how to do since have that small inner sectors of escalator from bottom to join with the top.

Some idea or I'll have to redo that escalator? :mellow:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 1.png
  • Attached Image: 2.png
  • Attached Image: 3.png
  • Attached Image: 4.png

• Honored Donor

You need to select sectors in both the top layer and bottom layer to join then press ctrl-j.

Note that the overall shape of the two selections, including vertices on the external edge, must be the same.

User is offline   dandouglas 

Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere, but is there a way to copy sectors and paste them into different TROR layers? Every time I try it gets messed up. What I'm doing is holding Alt, selecting sectors, hitting Insert to copy, then hitting Page Up/Down to move through layers, then Alt again to paste. I never get the prompt to make the outer walls red though. Any tips? Cheers!

• Honored Donor

If you want to paste it into a TROR layer, then make sure that only the relevant layer is editable, with everything else greyed out.

Note that if you want some sectors to be pasted into a TROR portal surface, then those sectors need to be flat (and possibly the same height as the portal).

User is offline   dandouglas 

Thanks Micky C! I'll give that a shot.

User is offline   Ghostwar 

I have a slightly different question... is it possible to copy TROR sectors from one map to another without breaking the effect?

This post has been edited by Ghostwar: 12 May 2022 - 11:41 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostGhostwar, on 12 May 2022 - 11:33 AM, said:

I have a slightly different question... is it possible to copy TROR sectors from one map to another without breaking the effect?

yes.
if you follow the instructions starting at the top of this page and highlight all the sectors in all the desired layers, then open the map you want them copied to, they will automatically copy.
It works the same was as normally highlighting sectors with alt and then opening a new map.

But it has to be stand-alone.
You can't copy a tror constructed building and dump it in the middle of an already made city that doesn't have matching tror layers.
Technically you 'can', but it most likely will be 'broke' and will require a lot of surgery to 'un-break' it.

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 May 2022 - 10:06 PM

User is offline   Graphics 

I hope this is okay. I thought this tutorial I made, might help any new TROR mappers. But even if you're experienced with TROR. It doesn't hurt to read.

https://www.moddb.co...-vector-slicing

It's all about fixing a common rendering glitch with TROR. Related to platforms and holes with a 360 degree view. I really hope it's okay to share here.

This post has been edited by Graphics: 13 December 2022 - 09:55 PM

User is offline   jimbob 

so, if i want to add a sector, and attach it to the previous TROR rooms i did, is this possible? say i made a large street area and added a TROR layer and everything and then decide that i want to go around a corner, or add a alleyway somewhere, is it even possible to simply draw the new sector and make it a part of the old TROR layer? it would make my life much easier if it did :P

Yes. It helps if the TROR layer you are editing is only visible and the same level/height as what you want to add.

User is offline   jimbob 

so how do i go about it? just like adding a regular TROR layer?

because when i add a sector, then make a TROR layer out of it this happens

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0000.png

This post has been edited by jimbob: 07 March 2023 - 03:27 AM

User is offline   Sangman 

Go into 2D mode and click one of the points of the separating wall. That should turn it from white to red.

User is offline   jimbob 

:o

User is offline   jimbob 

any way to reduce rendering errors like this?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0005.png

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Lol, I forgot how to select a single sector without selecting the surrounding sectors, I mean from inside not with the marquee box, This is in order to extend it.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMike Norvak, on 07 December 2023 - 08:18 PM, said:

Lol, I forgot how to select a single sector without selecting the surrounding sectors, I mean from inside not with the marquee box, This is in order to extend it.

you mean alt-ctrl-' ?
you press all the keys at once, then let up on the alt key

• Music Producer

View PostForge, on 08 December 2023 - 12:12 AM, said:

you mean alt-ctrl-' ?
you press all the keys at once, then let up on the alt key

Probably yeah! I need to try it. Thanks Forge!

• Music Producer

It worked, thanks! Some of the shortcuts come to me instinctively while others I have a hard time trying to grasp them, better I just search for them

I made this basic tutorial around a year ago and have re uploaded it.
https://youtu.be/pAw...UYeL_N9GpQUTXIL

• Music Producer

Does TROR work on Polymost now with no vissible glitchs? Or just with convex sectors?

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostMike Norvak, on 27 January 2024 - 07:35 AM, said:

Does TROR work on Polymost now with no vissible glitchs? Or just with convex sectors?

You still get glitches in Polymost with "concave" angled walls, but this can be mitigated 100% by properly dividing the portals (i.e. creating a separate sector at each "TRORed" wall where the angle to the next wall is significant enough to cause visible glitches, then extending all of these sectors separately to create more than a single bunch). Probably looking at how I made the platform "floating" in Der Zorn Gottes would explain it better if needed.

• Music Producer

I see, thanks Alex! I'm gonna check the map.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options