Duke4.net Forums: Fallout corner - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fallout corner

User is offline   gemeaux333 

For me at that point the Fallout series is about Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas, but there is one I am waiting for from InXile and /or Obsidian : the original Fallout 3 that was codenamed Van Buren

To be honest I think I am done with Bethesda's Fallout travesties, I haven't even played Fallout 76 because :
-it definitly look terrible at first sight
-if I wanted to play a good Bethesda game without npcs I still could play Terminator Future Shock / Skynet, at least they had vehicle sections (surprising they didn't even put vehicles in their fallout games as the games after these and Daggerfall are just improved versions of the X-Engine, and Fallout 2 had vehicles too)

User is offline   jkas789 

Wasn't there a project to make Van Buren in the Fallout 1/2 engine?

Here's a mildly controversial opinion, I think every Fallout game after the first has been at least a little worse than the original. Every game after the original missed that Fallout wasn't set in a world where the '50s went on culturally forever, but rather what the '50s vision of the future was. Mind you I don't remember this getting bad until Fallout 3, but it shows up a bit in F2 and Tactics.
I used to think F2 was better, but it felt a bit silly the last time I replayed it, in addition to the slightly rushed nature of the title. Its not really that controversial for games afterward. I thought that Tactics felt leagues worse than Jagged Alliance 2, in both speed, AI, weaponry. It was kind of hard for me to continue playing after the first few missions. I don't know how I managed to complete the base game of 3, since that was possibly one of the most boring games I've played. Not bad, not good, just lifeless. That sort of put me off New Vegas and I can't see myself ever picking up F4.

New Vegas IMO is all right. It is not Fallout 1 or 2 but it god damn tries to be. And honestly after Fallout 3 it was enough. Fallout tactics is shit and I refuse to play it ever again myself. Personally I really like New Vegas both from a lore and gameplay perspective, but then again I first started modding bethesda games with FNV.

If you are not that interested in playing the new Fallout games, maybe you will be interested in the new Wasteland games (2 & 3, the remake of 1 is shit) or Underrail (fucking great!).

I will admit that gameplay wise, Fallout 4 is a good open world game. Not a good Fallout game, as in a fallout game heir to the original isometric rpg games. But the shooting feels a hell of a lot better in F4 than in vanilla FNV and F3.

Fallout 1 have some cut contents leading to brokent quests... did anyone ever managed to get the good endings for Disciples of Apocalypse and the Hub ?

Fallout 2 have even more cut content, but at least no broken quest, unless you are playing the european version without the children patch...
the reproach players are doing to the game is that it feels more like western than post apocalyptic, and with the futuristic setting its feels like the Borderlands universe (analogy)
the upside is the game have a much bigger lifespan than the original, there is even a restoration project made by fans to re-enable all the cut content

I doubt anyone ever went far in Fallout Tactics... but its hardly as messed up as Fallout Brotherhood of Steel on PS2 :

Fallout 3, New Vegas and Fallout 4 feels like clones of Elders scrolls games plagued with bugs, except New Vegas at least have been made with the same quality as old school Fallout games by original devs from obsidian and taking a lot of inspiration from Van Buren, the only upside I found in Fallout 4 is the possibility to build communities and make them flourish (but the construction interface is clanky as hell)... the biggest problem is open world that doesn't fit the Fallout universe : you could make encounters on the map depending on your Luck and "outside world" skill, way more interesting than scouting every single pebble to find something interesting and meeting ennemies you know as fact you have all your chances to make it alive...

I am playing Fallout 2 right now (after having played Fallout 1), and the strange thing is the game, when meeting special encounter "mountain cave", tend to parachute me into shitshows, although they are very profitable XP wise...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 14 August 2021 - 08:01 AM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

People say New Vegas is like the old Fallouts but I disagree. OK, it's fun and the side quests are really cool, but I always play these types of games with intelligence maxed out, and in Fallout 1 you get rewarded to the point of being able to get out of many situations through EXTENSIVE dialogue options. Not so in NV, which bummed me out. I hated the interactions you had with Mr House (that was his name, right? Been years at this point). That felt like a big moment that just fell flat because the options were to either kill him or join him. I uninstalled the game after that.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postjkas789, on 13 August 2021 - 09:15 PM, said:

I will admit that gameplay wise, Fallout 4 is a good open world game. Not a good Fallout game, as in a fallout game heir to the original isometric rpg games. But the shooting feels a hell of a lot better in F4 than in vanilla FNV and F3.

Yeah imo F4 is underrated. The atmosphere and sense of immersion is very good, especially on the first playthrough. The shooting is still meh, but at least it is not atrocious like FNV or F3. I think you can actually get 4 fun playthroughs out of it, if you consciously avoid certain areas/quests that you did in previous playthroughs to keep it fresh. The thing that made me give up on it for good (after playing it again recently), is the realization that I was working too hard to keep the game fun. You have to keep cranking up the difficulty, installing more mods, and then limiting yourself to certain tactics/weapons or the gameplay gets boring.

View PostDanukem, on 14 August 2021 - 04:42 PM, said:

You have to keep cranking up the difficulty, installing more mods, and then limiting yourself to certain tactics/weapons or the gameplay gets boring.

That really is the achilles heal of all Bethesda games post Oblivion, arguably post Morrowind. You have to constantly make the fun for yourself otherwise the games get boring eventually.

@germeaux333

Fallout 2 have even more cut content, but at least no broken quest

Have you tried the Fallout 2 Restoration project? It re-implements a lot of cut content to Fallout 2. For Fallout 1 I don't remember any cut content mod atm, but you may want to try Fallout et tu.

I use the gog versions of Fallout 1 and 2, and they contain bugs that crash the game to desktop... in F1 the game may crash randomly without any logical pattern but its very occasional, but in F2 its almost a festival where the game will crash systematically when you fail at stealing some items (shotgun shells, Morningstar actions, revolver,etc...), not to mention big performance issues at some places...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 16 August 2021 - 10:27 AM

The guys behind Project Mojave have dropped a trailer for their early access. Project Mojave is basically Fallout New Vegas remade in Fallout 4.

Looks all right. If you are interested in trying the mod out you can download it from the Nexis page.

As for myself, I'll be waiting before installing the game. I want to sniff around to see how stable it is and if they made unsolicited changes to the dialogue, story etc.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 24 October 2021 - 07:43 PM

So it's New Vegas with F4 """"rpg systems""""?
I'm sure the guys from No Mutants Allowed will love it :P

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 25 October 2021 - 12:20 PM

View PostLazy Dog, on 25 October 2021 - 12:08 PM, said:

I'm sure the guys from No Mutants Allowed will love it :P

NMA be like:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options