Duke4.net Forums: Custom 64-bit windows installer for my driver - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Custom 64-bit windows installer for my driver

User is offline   mike_s 

People are aware that I'm making a commit driver for DOS duke nukem 3D.

But what I want to do is make the setup super simple for people running new versions of Windows (like Windows 10). I want to create a one-click wizard.

I've been playing with different software packages (that microsoft now calls obsolete) to assist with the process under Wine (because my 32-bit PC is linux). I tried Visual Basic 5, and Visual Basic 4. Sadly, VB4 won't even install, and Visual Basic 5 crashes when typing a certain set of characters. This has been confirmed on WineHQ site.

One thing I did notice was that WineHQ states Visual Basic 3 can run flawlessly, however it is a 16-bit application, and I read Windows 10 cannot run it as-is without a 3rd-party software being run first. But I don't want guests to have to download and install a bunch of stuff separately).

So if I were to make a Visual basic 3 application for 16-bit windows, is there a utility I can use to convert the exe itself so it can run properly in a 64-bit environment?

I would like to be able to test things but I don't use or have a 64-bit computer.

User is online   Phredreeke 

If 32-bit capable versions of Visual Basic won't run in WINE can't you run them in a virtual machine?

User is offline   mike_s 

View PostPhredreeke, on 13 July 2021 - 05:23 PM, said:

If 32-bit capable versions of Visual Basic won't run in WINE can't you run them in a virtual machine?

I think that would involve installing a full version of Windows. Man this is an overkill just to get a simple program out there.

I'm so disappointed with microsoft. What's worse... Now they want to roll out Windows 11 which is almost essentially copying the Apple OS, and I read the requirements for Windows 11 include a camera installed on your device (unless you use a desktop PC). I winder what they will do next...

User is offline   dwtietz 

View Postmike_s, on 13 July 2021 - 08:42 PM, said:

I think that would involve installing a full version of Windows. Man this is an overkill just to get a simple program out there.

I'm so disappointed with microsoft. What's worse... Now they want to roll out Windows 11 which is almost essentially copying the Apple OS, and I read the requirements for Windows 11 include a camera installed on your device (unless you use a desktop PC). I winder what they will do next...

Installing a VM isn't a complicate task. I'd probably just use something like Inno Setup though to make a custom installer; I think they might still support 32-bit.

I'd also recommend upgrading to a 64-bit system in the near future - Even if it should happen to be a second hand beater machine. 32-bit architecture support hasn't entirely disappeared yet mind you, but it will dwindle over time until it is eventually phased out completely.

User is offline   dwtietz 

Oh wait... It's a pure/true DOS based application that you want to make an installer for? If so, I suppose that's nothing that a simple batch file wouldn't be able to do.

Then again maybe not... You did mention specifically building a 32 bit app and then wanting to convert it to 64 bit for Win10, so now I'm not entirely sure what it is exactly that you're trying to do, but if it's a 32 or 64 bit installer that you're trying to create, I'd just use something like Inno Setup as mentioned previously.

This post has been edited by dwtietz: 14 July 2021 - 07:53 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options