Duke4.net Forums: Rookie mapping contest for Duke 3D - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rookie mapping contest for Duke 3D  "A little something to encourage new mappers a bit!"

User is offline   jimbob 

i really wish i had more time :'(

User is offline   Aleks 

So, it's time to announce the winner of Rookie Mapping Contest! Congratulations to SilverScrub for delivering a level which met the criteria for the contest (and that is a very enjoyable map to play). The level's name is Industrial Factory and you can download it here.

I have just played it and must say it's a very good entry, especially for a first map. In fact, the Author managed to squeeze maximum out of these lousy 500 sectors and quite unpopular theme to produce a very entertaining level for 15-20 minutes. The highlights are very good sense of scale and "3D feeling" of the map, there's plenty of interconnections and navigation is easy and not obstructed in any place. The map feels very classic with how it handles the use of space and combat. My personal favourite places were the conveyor belts/cranes part and elevating the acid towards the end. Also the final was rather... Unusual and surprising :) The level might feel a bit rough around the edges, with some misaligned textures, lack of shadows or sounds for some doors, but it also has a very high "fun factor" and that nice 90s vibes to it, also it's very well planned. There's plenty of effects, some even a bit more advanced like the convex rotating doors or the mentioned acid elevation, all of them seem to work flawlessly. I really hope to see some more levels (and perhaps more activity around here) from the Author, as this is a very promising start!
Attached File  industrialbasefinal.zip (68.11K)
Number of downloads: 164

User is offline   Merlijn 

Well done Silverscrub! I hope it will motivate the others to finish their maps, even though it's too late for the contest it's always nice to see new authors giving mapster a shot.

I played the map this morning and it's a good entry indeed. Although it's perhaps a bit too big and ambitious for a first map which results in a few big empty rooms towards the end, but I realize there was a 500 sector limit. The interconnected layout works really well, right from the start there are multiple paths to take and there's a nice vertical element. I also liked the layout of the factory area, it reminded me a bit of Halflife.

So overall well worth playing!

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 20 November 2021 - 11:29 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

Mikko made the review of Industrial Factory, giving it a 77 score: https://msdn.duke4.n...rialfactory.php

Personally, I'd rate it a bit higher :)

User is offline   ck3D 

I'll check the map out when I get the chance, but I want to give kudos to SilverScrub for actually going through with the process from start to finish (and also to the others who genuinely tried but might have run out of time due to real life stuff; I hope that work isn't lost and can see the light of the day sometime, regardless of context). I hope being the only entry isn't too frustrating because regardless of such concerns, that's some welcome effort and positive energy that they just contributed to the community.

User is offline   Merlijn 

I'd say 77 is a fair rating when it's being reviewed as a regular map. You can tell Silverscrub ran out of time and resources towards the end. Which is understandable given the rules for the contest and it being his first map, but it's also understandable that it has an impact on the rating when it's being compared to other user maps. But still 77 really isn't so bad. For reference my first released map scored 71 points. ;)

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 06 December 2021 - 08:18 AM

User is offline   Bania 

View PostMerlijn, on 20 November 2021 - 11:29 AM, said:

Well done Silverscrub! I hope it will motivate the others to finish their maps, even though it's too late for the contest it's always nice to see new authors giving mapster a shot.

Wish I had known about this sooner... well, today I was playing the spiegul maps and wondered what could I do from the original street base, so after a quick google search hoping to find it (so I don't have to delete all the other sectors/sprites manually) I found the contest instead. So, even if it's over, now I feel more motivated to build some

User is offline   ck3D 

Not going to lie, if Merlijn ever found other abandoned bits of maps of his laying around and were to start a Spiegul 2022, I would be so game. I also would not rig the poll in my favor this time.

Maybe that's something to do with Fakir's recently released pack of unfinished maps? I have yet to check it out, but I'm sure it's good stuff.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 14 February 2022 - 03:31 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options