Duke4.net Forums: Guess the map! - Duke4.net Forums

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Guess the map!  "Another funny and educational forum game for the whole family!"

User is offline   Dr.Panico 

View PostAleks, on 26 July 2021 - 01:24 AM, said:

No idea, but it definitely looks like some early pre-2000 map, probably themed around some hotel or just a town.

You're getting there. It's themed around a town.

User is offline   Sanek 

Does this map have bizzare/dream-like elements by any chance?

View PostSanek, on 26 July 2021 - 03:25 AM, said:

Does this map have bizzare/dream-like elements by any chance?

No. It's pretty standard.

Alright, here's a clue:

Spoiler

User is offline   ck3D 

Either Dark Alley or Urban Chaos by Vedran Jelenic?

This post has been edited by ck3D: 27 July 2021 - 10:04 AM

View Postck3D, on 27 July 2021 - 09:59 AM, said:

Either Dark Alley or Urban Chaos by Vedran Jelenic?

It's Urban Chaos!

User is offline   ck3D 

Great, I suspected I recognized his style from the get-go but wasn't sure. In the end after you dropped that hint I looked his maps up in detail and the creative use of the sky texture (with pal 17 or so it looks) gave it away.

Here's the next one, apologies for the presentation and resolution, away from my PC right now and so exceptionally I had to go off YouTube. In the future I'll try to avoid doing this.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Capture d’écran 2021-07-28 à 01.10.19.png

This post has been edited by ck3D: 27 July 2021 - 03:22 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

Alright, here's another screenshot (again off YouTube, please bear with me). Wouldn't be surprised if that one instantly gave it away, and if not then I have one last screenshot that definitely should.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Capture d’écran 2021-07-28 à 12.42.18.png

User is offline   ck3D 

*cracks knuckles* c'mon! Another golden oldie. Early impressive instance of room over room that took me forever to figure out the inner workings of as a kid I remember (when it's really simple). Funny-looking boxes at the end of corridors that otherwise lead into a gazillion of similar-looking rooms. Some adorable little spiral staircases.

The pictures are familiar, but I can't think of a name. Is it available on MSDN or CGS?

User is offline   ck3D 

I'm not sure it's on MSDN but it's most everywhere else, CGS, Arrovfnukem and used to be quite prominent on DN-R I think. Pretty sure it used to be included on all the shovelware CD's too. Name is basic.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 28 July 2021 - 12:00 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

Ok, giveaway time. It's a map by Stalker.

View Postck3D, on 29 July 2021 - 02:48 AM, said:

Ok, giveaway time. It's a map by Stalker.

It's Scum City.

Last time I've played this map was so long ago.

User is offline   ck3D 

Yep, that's the one. Ancient for sure but a classic nonetheless, no?

Your turn!

Alright! Here it goes:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.png

Here comes another pic:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.png

User is offline   Sanek 

Dude come on. There's a million maps with rooms like this.

Red sky in the city, hmm...one of MSSP maps by any chance?

View PostSanek, on 30 July 2021 - 09:24 AM, said:

Dude come on. There's a million maps with rooms like this.

Red sky in the city, hmm...one of MSSP maps by any chance?

No.

I try to pick pictures that are sort of distinct, but not enough that would give the map away. It doesn't help that this map in particular doesn't have many Kodak moments I can use, but it's not obscure.

User is offline   Aleks 

These screens do feel very generic to me as well, it's definitely not Mikko, since his style was pretty strict down from the 1st MSSP. I'm pretty sure this is an older map due to the scale being slightly too large/stretched and some quite weird/rushed texture choices (large stone bricks texture on the bathroom ceiling). I think it's cool people kind of showcase the older levels which they feel are significant in this thread as it helps gain them some more visibility these days, but then it's probably better to put more obvious screens for these maps, as most other people played them a long time ago if at all.

User is offline   ck3D 

Is it by Aaro Ruohonen? Dead Meat? Style looks too rough around the edges to actually be it, but for some reason that's the first thing coming to mind. Haven't played that map in a bit.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 30 July 2021 - 11:31 AM

This map is not that old. It's just one the author's first maps. That's why it looks kinda rough.

Is it by Aaro Ruohonen? Dead Meat? Style looks too rough around the edges to actually be it, but for some reason that's the first thing coming to mind. Haven't played that map in a bit.

Not that one, but it's from the same region of the world.

User is offline   Sanek 

Hot pro tip for guessing everyone:

https://www.arrovfnukem.com/en/

Use Arrovf's site for country-specific search. B)

User is offline   ck3D 

So Scandinavia in general? I just browsed through every Scandinavian map reviewed on Arrovfnukem but couldn't find anything close to it (except maybe City Of Despair by Thobias Fast?). For some reason I'm also very reminded of Juha Laaksonen's style but again in comparison to what I know of the guy's output, the style on those screenshots is looking a bit too rough to be from him.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 30 July 2021 - 12:00 PM

View Postck3D, on 30 July 2021 - 11:59 AM, said:

So Scandinavia in general? I just browsed through every Scandinavian map reviewed on Arrovfnukem but couldn't find anything close to it (except maybe City Of Despair by Thobias Fast?). For some reason I'm also very reminded of Juha Laaksonen's style but again in comparison to what I know of the guy's output, the style on those screenshots is looking a bit too rough to be from him.

Look at that, you got it. It's City of Despair.

User is offline   ck3D 

Cool beans, been meaning to post a screenshot since yesterday but I wasn't able to access my PC in the end and still will be for a bit longer today, so anyone feel free to use this turn and post the next screen.

User is offline   Aleks 

OK, so here's the next one:
Attached Image: duke0023.png

User is offline   Sanek 

BobSP 2

Instantly recognizable

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostSanek, on 01 August 2021 - 06:10 AM, said:

BobSP 2

Instantly recognizable

Yup - post the next one!

User is offline   Sanek 

Attached Image: duke0031.png

There's only a few hot maps that used this texture for doors, so it should be the easy guess.

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostSanek, on 01 August 2021 - 06:23 AM, said:

Attachment duke0031.png

There's only a few hot maps that used this texture for doors, so it should be the easy guess.

Looks very Merlijnish, I'd say Red 3 or Red 5, probably Red 5.

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options