Duke4.net Forums: Bickering about something (split from Devolver Digital / Sarkeesian) - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bickering about something (split from Devolver Digital / Sarkeesian)

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostSangman, on 28 May 2021 - 03:22 AM, said:

Is refusing to still spend money on Devolver products because they associate with someone who holds opinions you don't like this cancel culture I've been hearing so much about?

Arrr, that be boycotting
if you want their product, then sail the high seas to go get it, matey

you want first-hand accounts of a company getting woke pushback, ask the Ion Maiden Fury devs.
My preferred method is to ignore the crying and poo flinging and buy whatever the hell I want. Marketing target demographics change as often as the tide. Mostly it's just a method to get attention, good or bad.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostKralex, on 26 May 2021 - 09:07 AM, said:

Hey maybe compare mass shooting and school shooting stats from America to Australia. No but we're the fools.

Forgot to mock the cherry picking

the U.S. pretty much has the most guns per capita on the planet, but ranks around 90 out of the 192 countries that track homicide statistics. High, but still below 'average'. If correlation = causation, it should be higher on the list.

User is offline   Sangman 

I don't know the statistics you're referring to, but usually when people make arguments like that, they're talking about the "developed" world. So I guess you have to pretend the majority of the planet doesn't exist or something. So you're only allowed to take into account North America, Western and Northern Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and a few select Asian countries that support the argument :P

My preferred method is to ignore the crying and poo flinging and buy whatever the hell I want.

Yeah, pretty much. Not that I don't understand the sentiment behind wanting to boycot stuff but I think as soon as you get on that ride you'll find a reason to be pissed off by most companies...

This post has been edited by Sangman: 28 May 2021 - 08:33 AM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostKralex, on 26 May 2021 - 09:07 AM, said:

All the grace and maturity I would expect from you. (also no one cares kinda just proves what I was saying about stupid, shitty, selfish Americans) at least I live in a first world country that didn't elect an insane, narcissistic reality TV star as president lmao. I take solace in the fact that the bubbling pot that is the current American political climate means you'll probably all kill each other with your beloved guns. First amendment baby, what a bunch of racist white people decided over 100 years ago definitely means that it's good and healthy for you all to have guns. Hey maybe compare mass shooting and school shooting stats from America to Australia. No but we're the fools.

Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

View PostSangman, on 28 May 2021 - 08:30 AM, said:

I don't know the statistics you're referring to, but usually when people make arguments like that, they're talking about the "developed" world. So I guess you have to pretend the majority of the planet doesn't exist or something. So you're only allowed to take into account North America, Western and Northern Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and a few select Asian countries that support the argument :P

if you only count the 'developed' countries, it's still not the top of the chart

what people like to do is skew the criteria so the results fit their narrative.
if you only count violent crimes / homicide / suicide that involve guns, then the u.s. is in the top 5 (#2 behind russsia, iirc)
So we pretend all the homicides / crime / suicide that didn't involve guns doesn't exist.

The argument that guns make it easy and convenient is gaslighting. If that were the case, then the country with the most guns should have the most homicides, but that isn't true.
Without guns, people simply use whatever else is available.

https://worldpopulat...rate-by-country

older, but not a lot has dramatically changed (except the violent crime rate in the U.S. has gone down, while the gun ownership rate has gone up)
https://crimeresearc...ross-countries/

This post has been edited by Forge: 28 May 2021 - 11:51 AM

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostJesus Christ, on 27 May 2021 - 10:20 PM, said:

I saw you touching yourself at night, hence you get the 1000 year plague.

Keep doing that and I will convert to the cult of the Holy Death. Were they have blackjack and hookers.

Arrr, that be boycotting
if you want their product, then sail the high seas to go get it, matey

This post has been edited by jkas789: 28 May 2021 - 11:17 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostSangman, on 28 May 2021 - 03:22 AM, said:

Is refusing to still spend money on Devolver products because they associate with someone who holds opinions you don't like this cancel culture I've been hearing so much about?

No. That's just commerce. Individuals and companies have different rules. If you're actively trying to take down one person's livelihood because you don't agree with them that's cancel culture. And by that I mean trying to get them fired, get their Patreon/Paypal/Youtube/Twitch/etc accounts banned, get their credit cards cancelled so they can't make any money whatsoever and can even make themselves a living so that they can't survive and ALSO make sure as many people as possible dehumanise and demonise them so that nobody will give them a helping hand even out of pity. All out of some twisted sense of "justice" (read: vengeance) because they had the audacity to believe something you disagree with. That's cancel culture and it's freaking evil. Not buying something from a company because you don't agree with their decision to financially support a person or a cause that is politically divisive is no where near the same reality as that. People should have contrary political opinions without those consequences. Companies are kind of the opposite. It's best to stay out of politics. The business entity is there to sell stuff that people want. You don't tick off your consumer base. At least, you shouldn't. Because it's your money they're effectively using to fund these people. If I would not fund a person myself why would I give a company money to do it for me? A person wouldn't be going out of their way to destroy Anita's life, but not wanting their dollars supporting her if they don't philosophically agree with her is something entirely different.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 28 May 2021 - 08:16 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 28 May 2021 - 08:12 PM, said:

All out of some twisted sense of "justice" (read: vengeance) because they had the audacity to believe something you disagree with.

Or worse, because they were accused of something without evidence.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yes. Perhaps even more importantly that.

User is offline   Kralex 

• Removed

View PostHendricks266, on 27 May 2021 - 06:01 PM, said:

Then why are you posting on a Duke Nukem forum?

Are you implying you LOOK UP to Duke Nukem? Lol That is my main point there are a bunch of scary people who see characters like Duke and Doom guy and then obsess over guns being cool and seemingly wanting to kill things or worse people IRL. It's fucking bonkers. The level of autism is worse than in the Sonic community, and at least they're autistic about talking animals not wanting to be an idiotic 1980s macho man killing machine.

This post has been edited by Kralex: 29 May 2021 - 02:34 AM

Oh you little tiny dick

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostKralex, on 29 May 2021 - 02:27 AM, said:

Are you implying you LOOK UP to Duke Nukem? Lol That is my main point there are a bunch of scary people who see characters like Duke and Doom guy and then obsess over guns being cool and seemingly wanting to kill things or worse people IRL. It's fucking bonkers. The level of autism is worse than in the Sonic community, and at least they're autistic about talking animals not wanting to be an idiotic 1980s macho man killing machine.

Alright I didn't want to weigh in but there is an entire warehouse full of things that are completely wrong with the crap you're spouting.

Point 1.) Hello, the 1990s called. They want their pearl-clutchers back. Are you seriously bringing in that ancient and utter bullshit "video game violence causes real violence?" Or is it just certain people are allowed to enjoy it like quote-unquote "normal" people that get your panties in a bunch?

Point 2.) According to you it's wrong to look up to people who...do what, exactly? Put their lives on the line to save the world, in an idealized form without any of the shade real life heroes have? Or is it because they save the world, *gasp le gasp*, with violence that you take issue with? I mean I can't imagine any other reason you decided to drag Sonic into this. People look up to Sonic, oh shock, oh the horror. Sonic is violent. Or is it because he's fictional that you're throwing yourself an utter titfit? People can't look up to fictional characters? What's the fucking point of fiction then, son?

Point 3.) You know what's funny. I usually see talk of how badass the character is over their weapons. Sure, Doom has its SSG and BFG (neither of which can function at all in real life, as one would destroy the gun and the other does not physically exist). Duke meanwhile doesn't really have any signature weapons, save perhaps, maybe, POSSIBLY, the golden desert eagle that appeared in like two games. The only time I ever see the guns brought up is when actually discussing their tactical data in relation to the game.

The characters are discussed and celebrated because they're fucking one man armies. One single person, with the balls and courage to face down legions of demons and aliens by themselves, pull it off, and look good while doing it. Just like the action movies that inspired them. Is it wrong to look up to those characters? For doing the same? Often saving the world because they're the only motherfuckers bad enough to do it.

but oh no fictional characters use guns wont someone please think of the children

cant have little timmy thinking its okay to wield a dual-barreled miniature rocket launcher that carries more ammunition in its barrels than someone can carry on their entire person

Your profile picture has never been more fitting. Have a good one, Jack Thompson.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 29 May 2021 - 03:18 AM

User is offline   Kralex 

• Removed

View PostNinety-Six, on 29 May 2021 - 03:17 AM, said:

Alright I didn't want to weigh in but there is an entire warehouse full of things that are completely wrong with the crap you're spouting.

Point 1.) Hello, the 1990s called. They want their pearl-clutchers back. Are you seriously bringing in that ancient and utter bullshit "video game violence causes real violence?" Or is it just certain people are allowed to enjoy it like quote-unquote "normal" people that get your panties in a bunch?

Point 2.) According to you it's wrong to look up to people who...do what, exactly? Put their lives on the line to save the world, in an idealized form without any of the shade real life heroes have? Or is it because they save the world, *gasp le gasp*, with violence that you take issue with? I mean I can't imagine any other reason you decided to drag Sonic into this. People look up to Sonic, oh shock, oh the horror. Sonic is violent. Or is it because he's fictional that you're throwing yourself an utter titfit? People can't look up to fictional characters? What's the fucking point of fiction then, son?

Point 3.) You know what's funny. I usually see talk of how badass the character is over their weapons. Sure, Doom has its SSG and BFG (neither of which can function at all in real life, as one would destroy the gun and the other does not physically exist). Duke meanwhile doesn't really have any signature weapons, save perhaps, maybe, POSSIBLY, the golden desert eagle that appeared in like two games. The only time I ever see the guns brought up is when actually discussing their tactical data in relation to the game.

The characters are discussed and celebrated because they're fucking one man armies. One single person, with the balls and courage to face down legions of demons and aliens by themselves, pull it off, and look good while doing it. Just like the action movies that inspired them. Is it wrong to look up to those characters? For doing the same? Often saving the world because they're the only motherfuckers bad enough to do it.

but oh no fictional characters use guns wont someone please think of the children

cant have little timmy thinking its okay to wield a dual-barreled miniature rocket launcher that carries more ammunition in its barrels than someone can carry on their entire person

Your profile picture has never been more fitting. Have a good one, Jack Thompson.

lol no I think looking up to any fictional character is retarded, I don't think video games cause real world violence I just think LOOKING UP to DUKE NUKEM is stupid lmao. Do you go out in public wearing a red tank top telling people to blow it out their ass lol? What exactly are you looking up to. He's the facilitator for some silly and fun gameplay. I mentioned Sonic because the fanbase is notoriously autistic and obsessive.

This post has been edited by Kralex: 29 May 2021 - 03:26 AM

View PostKralex, on 29 May 2021 - 03:22 AM, said:

lol no I think looking up to any fictional character is retarded

That's your prerogative, but I will strongly disagree. But I've said my piece.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I look up to Duke Nukem because he can run at 60kph and jump 2 meters in the air all day long while carrying heavy equipment and never get tired. I'm pretty sure if I could do that I would rule the world. Or at least save on gas for my car. That's why I have modeled my life after him. I keep a Duke Nukem sound board with me at all times and I have sworn off using my own voice so that I can communicate entirely using his one-liners. It gets a little awkward at work when I accidentally press the wrong button and tell a client or coworker to "blow it out your ass" but I can usually recover from this with lines like "Let's Rock!" accompanied by a cheerful fistbump.

there are a bunch of scary people who see characters like Duke and Doom guy and then obsess over guns being cool and seemingly wanting to kill things or worse people IRL

Those darn scary people are really scary and if only they hadn't seen those pixelized guns in 90's video games they wouldn't have known that guns were cool and got ideas about killing things with guns. I dig it how you are bringing that 90's political vibe to a forum about a game from the 90's -- I feel like I have been transported back in time to the congressional hearings in '93. It's fun to make baseless claims, which is both retro and on trend. Good work!

User is offline   Kralex 

• Removed

View PostNinety-Six, on 29 May 2021 - 03:26 AM, said:

That's your prerogative, but I will strongly disagree. But I've said my piece.

So you're stance is that there is no way video games can encourage real world violence but at the same time it's okay and healthy to LOOK UP to someone who doesn't exist? Those two sentiments are at odds with each other. One implies a sensible understanding of fiction and reality and the other... well.... Just be careful with how far you take your escapism is all I'll say. Go and read Open Maw's thread about Duke Nukem being dead and tell me that he has an emotionally healthy relationship with the fiction he enjoys (enjoyed?)

This post has been edited by Kralex: 29 May 2021 - 03:31 AM

View PostKralex, on 29 May 2021 - 03:28 AM, said:

Those two sentiments are at odds with each other.

Not...even at all.

It's really quite simple

you see

characters like duke nukem

characters like doomguy

are you ready for this

im serious this shit will blow your mind

be careful

dont say i didnt warn you

alright lean in close

closer

closTHEY DON'T SLAUGHTER INNOCENT CIVILIANS.

Has to be. Or this is Jack Thompson's trolling account.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

People who can't tell the difference between your and you're aren't worth responding to.

User is offline   Forge 

did someone who admits going to sonic forums just call people on a duke nukem forum 'autistic'?

that's some internet gold right there

Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

There's nothing wrong with admiring and aspiring to the personification of an ideal. In fact, cultures have been doing this FOR MILLENNIA. Why do you think we call them HEROES? You seem to be generalizing big time by referencing only a subset of people that go way overboard and have other issues and damage that makes them want to believe in the actual fiction and fantasy more than the ideal. That's not the same thing. One is healthy and the other is very not. Duke Nukem does not exist and his character and personality are over the top because it makes it more fun. But the core of his allure is that he's a super meta-human with all the right ideals that people aspire to: heroism, justice, etc. Those are the qualities people "look up to" by your definition. Not the fictional character. He's the personification of good with a little sprinkling of humour, wit/cheese, and pomp to make us laugh at the same time. That's why super heroes, action heroes, and the like exist. It's a winning formula. Don't take things so literally.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostForge, on 29 May 2021 - 04:59 AM, said:

did someone who admits going to sonic forums just call people on a duke nukem forum 'autistic'?

that's some internet gold right there

Posted Image

You gotta admit, the autism in here is reaching unprecedented levels, something you could only find on Sonic forums

User is offline   Kralex 

• Removed

View PostJesus Christ, on 29 May 2021 - 04:55 AM, said:

People who can't tell the difference between your and you're aren't worth responding to.

Not an argument.

• banned!

View PostKralex, on 29 May 2021 - 05:17 AM, said:

Not an argument.

I don't argue with 13 year olds.

User is offline   Kralex 

• Removed

View PostJesus Christ, on 29 May 2021 - 05:22 AM, said:

I don't argue with 13 year olds.

Just act like one?

• banned!

Sure, on occasion.

OK here goes:

Haha u guyz are in love with Duke Nukem or something. Faaagz!

User is online   ck3D 

What I don't get personally is coming on here to point out a lack of sophistication when you yourself use homosexuality and autism as insults. I do understand the general sentiment, but that doesn't especially help clean up the look of the place at all either, if that's what you're really concerned about. Personally, at this point, I just got used to the idea that a lot the Internet in general really is the mental cesspool of humanity, regularly bringing out the worst in people (until they actually start interacting with each other instead of talking to themselves). It can be scary at first because it's the perfect mirror of human imperfection - no flaw can escape its reflection for everyone to see. But it's not a bad type of confrontation with more of the world than your immediate surroundings (again, once you start to actually engage, communication feeds personal development). Gotta accept your limits to know how break them. Also the occasional good in people gets its shine too.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 29 May 2021 - 06:36 AM

View PostKralex, on 29 May 2021 - 05:17 AM, said:

Not an argument.

Posted Image

View PostFox, on 29 May 2021 - 05:06 AM, said:

You gotta admit, the autism in here is reaching unprecedented levels, something you could only find on Sonic forums

Well, I mean we still have not gotten to male pregnancy, which is a big part of the autism on Sonic forums. Also babyfur. And inflation fetish. And fart fetish. And self inserts.

Yeah, I think we will be fine.

I'm definitely stealing that gif from forge.

lol no I think looking up to any fictional character is retarded

Tell that to Aragorn son of Arathorn II, heir of Isildur, the Last High King of Gondor and Arnor. Or Parn of Record of Lodoss War as well.

I don't think that looking up to fictional characters is retarded. I think that constantly seeking escapism in fictional works as a measure of acquiring happiness is retarded. But that is offtopic I guess.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 29 May 2021 - 09:43 AM

User is offline   Outtagum 

View Postjkas789, on 29 May 2021 - 09:35 AM, said:

Well, I mean we still have not gotten to male pregnancy, which is a big part of the autism on Sonic forums. Also babyfur. And inflation fetish. And fart fetish. And self inserts.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options