Duke4.net Forums: WG THE ABYSS EPISODE FINISHED RELEASED. - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WG THE ABYSS EPISODE FINISHED RELEASED.

User is offline   NNC 

I replayed the map and found it actually without the hint. Wow, how to get out of there without shooting the switch 23 times? Or did I do something wrong there? The door is just moving while I'm stranded in that side sector.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 25 July 2021 - 11:43 PM

User is offline   NNC 

I finished the whole episode. Wow, that was... interesting. While the maps used lots of one time sounds everywhere, it was the base architecture and audiovisual atomic blasts that gave me jumpscares many times. You really managed to lift the abstract level design and atmosphere into level 999. I usually don't like maps where switch hunting take over gameplay, but in the last two maps I not only got used to it, but I always anticipated (and feared) what comes next. A sentry drone hell, a commander hell, a battlelord hell etc. It was a really jumpscary, thrilling and amazing experience. And while the maps were maybe dragging a bit too long, they never really got dull. Also, I have to say that map 3 and 4 were much more clear than map 1 and 2 layout-wise, or I improved my skills, I don't know, but I never got lost in them. But despite playing map 1 twice already, I still got confused more in it, than in map 3 and 4.

Interesting, while many times I played with "is this switch opening that fucking main door now, or just another side trap is waiting for me", the levels always ended in places I never expected. Maybe map 1 was the exception as it really ended where it should have. Map 3 ending was just one of the many places. However (watchtower mode on) what was a true disappointment (as MSDN also pointed out): the final battle. Since the maps overwhelmingly used mini battlelords all the time, the big one in the end didn't add anything to the atmosphere. The only thing it added is a god mode on to me, as there was no cover to repel the hitscan hell. The map really should have used the overlord, despite not being Abyss's original boss creature. And different method should have worked maybe. Also, while the final floating pyramid segment looked beautiful, it occasionally looked glitchy, some monsters felt like they are rotating 2D elements, and drones due to their hardcoding always flew down, so it was hard to get them there. So that area, while looked absolutely wonderful, should have been polished a bit more both in gameplay and in visuals.

Overall, despite these flaws I mentioned I really enjoyed this episode. Good to have our own talents to counter Doomw*rld, and who can create such epic powerhouses. Probably the only really big flaw is the ending battle.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 14 August 2021 - 03:02 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options