Duke4.net Forums: WG THE ABYSS EPISODE FINISHED RELEASED. - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WG THE ABYSS EPISODE FINISHED RELEASED.

Posted Image

Finished and released. Download here.
https://www.moddb.co...ds/wg-the-abyss

Description : Requires eduke32, this level uses TROR and uses expanded limits.
WG The ABYSS is a 4 level episode by William Gee for Duke Nukem 3D in the spirit of the original E1L5 "The Abyss" level. This episode requires Eduke32 for True Room over Room and expanded limits.
This episode works in any graphics mode but is best played in Polymost and that is recommended.

Follow Duke through a dark, twisted alternate reality of The ABYSS, with fantastic 3D shading and lighting and 3D use of eduke32's TROR, with some fun gameplay.
Took me 1 month to build this 4 level episode.

* Installation *
Install a new snapshot of Eduke32 and Duke Nukem Atomic Edition.
Extract this folder to your Eduke32 folder, and select the WGTHEABYSS folder in your eduke32 startup menu.

This post has been edited by William Gee: 20 May 2021 - 02:14 AM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I have just blasted through the entire episode. Quite impressive showcase for the TROR feature. What I especially liked: Even though the maps are quite huge, I didn't really get lost and if I wondered what I had to do in order to continue, it wasn't for long.

It's a festival for Octabrain and Protoslimer lovers for sure. I would have wished for more RPG ammo at some point since that's my weapon of choice when dealing with such huge amounts of those foggerz, but pipebombs did the job as well (even though not as quickly as I had hoped). The last map was just insane in its dimensions and I can't recall a Battlelord encounter that epic, at least not for a long time. If I understood correctly, this is like a "what if The Abyss had not just been one map, but a series of maps leading to the ep.1 boss", and as such it's both entertaining and rare (since not many authors choose this "alien rock" style in their maps).

Still hard to believe you managed to get all of this done in merely a month. Two thumbs up for both creativity and productivity!

User is offline   jkas789 

What a fucking legend, I'm gonna play this as soon as I can. :D

Thanks guys. Funny I was thinking the levels were small/medium size since they take around 15 minutes each to play, I even tried to force myself not to make them BIG! At least they are way smaller than my DT levels, around half the size really. :D :D :D

This post has been edited by William Gee: 20 May 2021 - 12:20 PM

• The Truth is in here

To me the levels seemed huge, but rather regarding dimensions, not playtime. I think the longest I took for a map was a bit over 20 minutes, but probably more because I played during daytime and reflections on my screen prevented me from seeing which part of the map just blew up. There are a lot of explosions in this one (there can never be too many).

Tradition continues - anything starting with "WG" in the title delivers, regardless whether it's just one map or an entire episode.

User is online   Ninety-Six 

I was the beta-tester for all four maps, and WG kindly gave me permission to make the gameplay footage I recorded public.

Spoiler

If you were curious what they looked like before, here you go. Recorded in classic due to eduke's inexplicable tendency to lock up on me when using polymost.

It's actually not as glitchy as you'd think. The TROR works surprisingly well in classic. Not perfectly, but minor visual glitches at worst. The renderer was really well done.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 20 May 2021 - 10:39 PM

User is online   Ninety-Six 

Maps 3 and 4 because duke4 doesn't let me post more than two.

Spoiler

User is online   slacker1 

I'm exited to play through these. I so far have only played the first level in the series and really enjoyed it. Can't wait to carve out some time to play the rest!

User is offline   Merlijn 

Congrats on the release! I've only played the first 2 so far, will try out the entire episode soon. :)
That last screenshot looks really cool!

User is offline   Aleks 

Once again, congrats on the release! Just played the final map and it's really massive in pretty much every aspect. My favourite part was the alien ship that could be seen from the outside (particularly love how TROR was used there - I also really dig how you used that large bricks with green alien tentacles stuff and pal 24 for the outside of the ship near window (as on that 4th screenshot) :D The end was also insane, reminded me a bit of that Sumo Sky Castle from SW with the levitating pyramid thing, just 1000x more impressive. The sentry drones were a bit of a nuissance there around this maze though, as they kept descending really low or hiding under the TROR layer. On the other hand, final battle was really funny and well executed - great job and definitely a good way to top off the whole episode!

User is offline   Maarten 

Awesome! Congrats on this quick release!
Since I'm busy finishing the last AAP2 stuff, I didn't play your new maps yet.. so I'll download this whole episode when I'm going to play!
Nice theme choice as well. In fact I was planning on mapping E1l5 styley as well someday haha. It's a awesome map!

User is offline   Sangman 

Excellent stuff, quite a few memorable locations for sure. However it's also a good showcase that flying enemies and TROR layers currently don't work well together :( Hope this gets fixed at some point

• The Truth is in here

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. However, considering how much stuff is flying around in these maps, it's maybe better if monsters cannot get everywhere. It gets pretty busy one way or the other. :D

User is offline   Sangman 

Nah, the bigger problem with it is that hit detection is all kinds of wonky if an enemy is present in two TROR layers simultaneously. This has been bugged for a while but basically the part of the sprite in the top layer will not detect any hits, and indeed I've had plenty of rockets go through Fat Commanders in this episode :P

This post has been edited by Sangman: 27 May 2021 - 02:12 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm currently away on holiday that's why my reply is late. I even pushed this episode out knowing I was going away the day after it was released. :P
Yes there is a issue with not being able to shoot enemies when they are crossing the portal, or when they are in it, I presume everyone has had the same problem. I do hope this gets fixed as I do want to make more levels using TROR like this. I guess in the future I will be more carefull with flying enemies and TROR, so far nobody has complained about that in my AA Boss levels.
I also noticed a bug where a projectile will create a blocking sprite if it hits the floor close to the portal, at least that was my experience at the steps going down to the hollow chapel.

Thanks slacker1 I hope you enjoy the rest as much as you enjoyed the first.
Thanks Merlijn No rush but hope you enjoy the rest. :D
Thanks Aleks for your comments, I had planned for the BOSS level to be in space, but after I had started the space area it made no sense as your already so far underground, so I changed the sky to lava like your in the earths core. That TROR area was super challenging, took the most effort to make and didn't even last long to play. Hopefully one day I will make something space themed with TROR, but it is challenging and kinda annoying to make.
Thanks Maarten I hope you enjoy it once you get to play it. :D
Thanks Sang, yeah that issue with the layers and flying enemies is annoying.

Here is a full play trough if anyone is interested to watch, and without saving as for whatever reason saves didn't work for this guy.
https://youtu.be/kPfxNQoRHQk

This post has been edited by William Gee: 28 May 2021 - 01:19 AM

MSDN review of maps 3 and 4. https://msdn.duke4.net/hotwgsp34.php

User is offline   Aleks 

No idea how Mikko managed to pass these in 10-15 minutes, I needed about 30 for each map :P Also I loved the final battle here, I feel like I have to say it once again :D

Thanks Aleks, I was worried that pillar in the middle was TOO MUCH cover, lol!
If anyone knows trooper666 he said he is gonna do a live stream tomorrow after work. Not sure what time that will be but I'm looking forward to it!

Here is his playthrough, lucky I turned up to watch just when he got stuck trying to find the fire teleporter.
https://youtu.be/38yo1znySBE
Anyways Trooper is fun and has a good attitude I like watching him.

This post has been edited by William Gee: 02 June 2021 - 01:33 AM

Played the first map & a bit of level 2. Loving the mood so far, lots of nostalgic E1L5 indeed!
I actually found a lot of Devestator ammo but didn't found the weapon itself (maybe I didn't search enough - although I did got at some "hidden" parts on the top of the mountain.
But no worries, I just beta boss1 with da freezer!

Got stuck (@ 48:00 on that video you just posted, I just didn't seem to see the hand-switch). Going to play more later :)

Hi Maarten, thanks for playing it! Merlijn also missed the devastator in the first level. Hope you enjoy the rest and don't get too suck. :D

Spoiler

I'm hoping to combine all of my duke stuff in my next project.
That being WG The Abyss, WGSpace, WGRealms1, WGCity, and a new episode + improvements on all of my old stuff.

Actually, I only missed the devastator in the 2nd map, I did find it in the first :D

I'm going to play the episode now! :)

Oh yeah I got mixed up haha. Hope you enjoy the ending!

I very much enjoyed the ending! Man, the kill count gets pretty high in those last 2 maps. :)
The final map was the best of the 2 for me, I really liked the design and layout of the first part. And then the second half is just mindblowing.
That spaceship inside the earth's core. That was great. The final fight is pretty hard, I barely survived but in the end the boss kicked the bucket before I did. :D

Some of the best usage of TROR I've seen, it's not just well implemented but also seamlessly integrated in the general layout. It never felt gimmicky or out of place.
Also classic mode runs it surprisingly well, only a few minor glitches.

Only minor complaints are monsters getting stuck in the TROR layers (as others have noted) and there's a bit too much button hunting for my taste.
But at least I never got stuck or confused, so like I said it's only a minor complaint.

The funny thing is there's some thematic overlap with this episode and the map I'm currently working on..
I feared they were going to be too similar, but luckily that's not the case. :)

Thanks heaps Merlijn, glad you enjoyed the ending. :D I hoped that people would get close to the end of their health before beating killing the boss, so I guess that worked for you. :D
I'm pretty happy with how well the TROR works in classic, and Ive been thinking that last boss scene is quite a big TROR area, with several layers but it has no lag issues, so that gives me hope we may be able to build larger areas using TROR.
This episode was really a way for me to experiment and learn some TROR tricks. Pitty about the enemies getting stuck, I could have used stayput enemies so it didn't happen so much, Maybe I will add a update for that one day.

User is offline   Aleks 

I don't think the issue with enemies getting stuck was that serious really. Maybe the sentry drones descending super low at the end around that maze then popping up right behind you were quite annoying, but other than that, it didn't really cause issues with combat that would decrease the fun :D

Finally finished your episode, I'll keep it short:

-Loved the episode, a lot of E1L5 styley which I really liked, although your own, bigger & impressive style got more present the future you get.
-I love the fact the episode really feels as one world, all maps are connected with start/end.
-The TROR was impressive and didn't feel "forced", the best TROR was the last level with these impressive big locations.
-I liked all puzzles too, creative!
-Gameplay balance was perfect: not too hard, not too easy
-Loved the end battle; I was lucky and beated the boss/enemies pretty quick, but that didn't bother me at all. It was still challenging!

So yeah..a lot of praise! :D I did notice some stuff which could have been more polished or even could have been more "complete", but these things are minor and really just a few things. Nothing anyoing at all. If you're interested, I can write them down. But then again, it's a personal thing and it's amazing how much you have done in just 1 month!

Good job, I'm glad I've played this episode!

Thanks for all the praise Maarten! :lol: Much appreciated, I'm glad you got a chance to play it, and enjoyed it too. :) I did push that out like crazy over that month. I'm not sure If I will ever do that again. :o

User is offline   NNC 

I decided to give this one a go, because the videos and the screens look so darn impressive, I couldn't miss it (and honestly, I love that there is some sort of renessaince of user mapping, so I think I will try Aleks and Maarten maps later too). However, after finishing the second map I quickly realised how many skills I lost during the last decade. Despite trolling on this forum quite often, I don't play Duke all that much, and if I do, mostly I focus on official levels I know by heart now. So playing through the first two levels was quite an exhausting experience, and I have done a lot better a decade ago in this.

What is already said, I echo as well: Congrats on these maps, Willy, you didn't lose your mapping skills at all. The atmosphere was absolutely phenomenal, and so was the impressive use of TROR, the great colours and shades, not to mention the sense of these abstract places. As a big traveller myself, the primary quality mark of a place I visit is memorability. If I remember the place I already visited without revisiting it, it was a good travel. And I really love some of the memorable locations here, especially the 2nd map with its main chapel area, or the amazing pillar puzzle or the surprising ending of the 1st map. While I haven't played much from the 3rd level, the starting mechanic area already impressed me a lot in a similar way. I'm pretty sure that I will remember these even if I won't touch this game for the next 40 years, and as a granddaddy who wants to relive old hobbies before calling it a day I WILL remember these segments and these maps in general, so take this as a compliment. :D

Some nitpicks as no Watchtower post without some:

It's a general rule of thumb that if you make a map on a bigger scale and use heavy details and shadows, you should make every quintessential stuff (including weapons, switches, keys) very clear, highlighting them or make the pathway linear. I know some disagree, but losing path is not fun, and I had troubles in both maps quite often. If I grab a key, I should know it (like the red in first map), if I push a button, the door it opens should be in visible sight, and not in barely visible sight, but unmistakably visible sight (I'm really looking at the first button in the second map, placed in one of the fire pillars). Also, the button should show its purpose: it should be obvious if it was for a one time use, an autoclose use, an activatorlocked use, etc. Sometimes I tried to reuse it only to get into deeper mess myself (yes, the losing skills are part of the problem, but grandiose projects should aim more at casuals as they give the effort a more rewarding exposure).

If an average player like me who is not used to play lots of maps is lost in such a huge map, pathfinding issues can be very punishing and tiresome. I think the second map's switch hell around the red pillar was also quite problematic, I don't think it added much to the level, except for annoyances. At least the pillar should rotate slower, and the switches should be highlighted more, not just lying silently on a dark wall.

Other thing is fall damage. The first map was very dark, and often I ran into fall damages, and health wasn't abundant to compensate. The biggest offender was the last dark corridor when I didn't see much, but fell into death, before I simply activated the god mode, and flied back and kept myself on god mode until the next level.

Also, I didn't find the devastator in the first map, but I'm pretty sure there is one well hidden in a tiny place between the large, dark, detailed rooms. It's another quintessential thing that should be in a more obvious place as it's a necessary weapon to beat the octabrain swarm and the battlelords in the end. Again, this is just a desperate scream of a casual, so it's probably my fault to not manage my ways better in larger levels. :D

Not exactly a criticism, it's more of a personal preference, but I think hitscanners didn't fit at all in these levels. Not thematically, and not gameplay wise (if they were used in large areas). If I was a beta tester I would have recommended a more analytical approach for monster placement. For example I would have used only liztroops and commanders in open areas, octabrains and slimers in dark, red, enclosed areas, and for big challenge, the functioning mini overlord for the challenging places. Oh, and newbeasts for the really dark areas. Somehow pigcops, enforcers, battlelords, turrets are not necessarily the best options, but again, the maps are still very enjoyable with the current placement, so it's more like a personal preference.

I will play the final two maps tomorrow, but I take a bow. I'm literally baffled how someone can construct such areas and atmospheres with such an old engine in this short time.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 25 July 2021 - 02:11 PM

Thanks Watchtower.

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options