Duke4.net Forums: Last game you played - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Last game you played

User is offline   LAW 

Hello.

I liked this topic on the old AMC Forums, where we could write about our gaming experiences. I thought it would be nice to create something like this here. So I will start and I will continue soon :)

The games finished in 2018:
* Aliens Colonial Marines (Playstation 3): The game is just OK. It does everything right, but there is just no spice in it. It was really nice to meet the Hicks again or to visit a few, well recreated locations from the Aliens movie: the Sulaco, Colony or Derelict ship. The Xenomorphs were well made, especially the "blind" ones from the underground level. If only the game was longer and a bit special.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
* Assassin's Creed 1 (Playstation 3): The game which started the legend. However not everything is right. The missions become really repetitive after a while. The music and graphics are really good, but the huge draw distance comes at a cost on Sony's console. Namely I have never seen the screen tearing like in this version of the game. Also I don't like the game's protagonist that much, because he is quite bland.
* Assassin's Creed 2 (Playstation 3): Well, the sequel is now among my favourite games. This time the main hero named Ezio Auditore da Firenze is a very likeable person. The story is really good, even very touching at times. The music and graphics have been improved - no more screen tearing. The Renaissance scenery - including the marvellous cities of Venice, Florence and San Gimignano - looks gorgeous. The landscapes are so beautiful and detailed - it is a real pleasure to just roam free in this virtual world. The parkour segments, like in Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore where you have to climb to the highest point inside the dome, are literally breathtaking. The game's atmosphere is shrouded in mystery. There is a lot to do: you can spend money on paintings from the era or meet historical figures like Leonardo da Vinci or Niccolo Machiavelli. You will also learn a bit of history, because every location, every important building and person has a friendly description. I highly recommend this game to everybody.
* Crash Bandicoot Advance 1 (Gameboy Advance): The game is not as good as its famous Playstation predecessors, but it still delivers. The levels are mostly a reminiscences of the Playstation locations and due to the technical limitations, they are mostly two-dimensional. If you are a Bandicoot fan and if you have two hours of spare time, then you can give it a go.
* Crash Bandicoot Advance 2 (Gameboy Advance): Almost the same as above. After over two years I just don't remember that much from the game - and this tells a lot. I recall an another jungle level, a Persian level (like on the Playstation) and a pink boss, named N-trance.
* Doom Advance (Gameboy Advance): Everything is OK with this port, but there is a bit of lost content: less levels, no bosses and the music just doesn't sound right.
* Doom BFG Edition (Playstation 3): Yeah, the Doom 3 finally on Playstation. Too bad it's not on Playstation 2 though 😉 So how is this once unbelievable graphical marvel looking today? Well - not too bad, not bad at all. It is still a very good game and it has a lot of content: the main game, two expansions and two legendary prequels. Except the small occasional hiccups the games plays smooth even without the HDD install. However there are a few shortcomings. Firstly, why on Earth does the Playstation 3 version have the worse lighting and shadows than the old Classic Xbox? Also the physics is simpler - the fallen zombies just don't stack up on each other, some objects just don't move at all, but on the old Xbox they did. Now the biggest sin: some nice looking locations from the Resurrection of Evil are removed. Why, why? That's life I guess.
* Driver San Francisco (Playstation 3): It is an unusual game. It is not a racer and not a demolition derby, but somehow it is a sci-fi game, because you can morph into any traffic driver and get behind the wheel. The story is so-so and I don't buy it. What I love though is the hefty amount of licensed, classic cars. They look, drive and crush in a realistic way - it is a pleasure to ride free in a well crafted San Francisco. Also the additional missions let you relive some famous driving scenes from the classic movies.
* Duke Nukem 3D + Add-ons (Classic Xbox): The legendary game finally on Xbox, thanks to the efforts of the home-brew community. It works just like on the PC and playing the Platoon or Starship Troopers mods on the TV is a blast, really.
* Duke Nukem Forever (Playstation 3): So this game really exists, right? OK - no more jokes about that. The game is OK, but nothing more. Somehow the old version from the almost forgotten trailers or Duke Nukem Forever mod leave a much better lasting appeal. I like the Las Vegas, Duke Burger and Ghost Town levels, but some others are plain boring. Also the game doesn't have the Duke Nukem 3D atmosphere. Even the Duke Nukem himself is a douchebag and some of his one-liners are annoying.
* Far Cry 2 (Playstation 3): This game is considered to be the worst entry in the series. I think otherwise. It has the most realistic setting, without stupid monsters and mutants. The graphics is superb and the landscapes - including the jungle, savanna, desert and swamp - look great, especially with the dynamic time and weather cycles. True, the game has its slower moments. But for the exploration enthusiast like me it is a pleasure to wander around. A cloudless night on savanna with the Milky Way and thousands of stars on the sky. An old, rusty railroad track and a zebra passing by - I will never forget this particular moment from Far Cry 2.
* Shadow Warrior + Add-ons (Classic Xbox): I am admitting it with a feeling of shame - this is the first time I played Shadow Warrior with the music. I have always been loving this game, but with the soundtrack, the atmosphere is on another level. Gameplay is as good as on the PC, reaching its heights during the two mods: Wanton Destruction and Twin Dragons.
* Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection (Playstation 3): We all know that Tekken 5 was and still is a great game. The Dark Resurrection is even better. It has a few new characters, new arenas and new music tracks. Of course the old locations and old soundtrack is also available. The Playstation 3 version is an arcade port, so it is missing the story mode with its movies, but gameplay-wise it is a definitive edition. I recommend this to everybody - also because Jinpachi is not so cheap any more 😉

User is offline   jkas789 

Sure why not I'll post the games I played this year so far because my brain only stores medical stuff long-term. Everything else not related to medicine gets booted into short-term memory lol.

Starting in 2021, games I have completed and have fresh in my brain. In no particular order:

1.-Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Siwtch): Fun little OG Castlevania clone by Inti Creates and good old Koji Igarashi. It's very similar to the game it was "inspired" by so be warned as it has all the pros and cons of classic Castlevania. I would say it is a bit more lenient at times but then you unlock nightmare mode and that is a nope from me dawg.

2.-Doom 64 (PC port): I hated the horizontal mouse aiming and honestly there is some weird funky glitches going on to this day. As always Night Dive ports cool shit and then leaves it to die on a road somewhere. i did 100% this one though. Got all the achievements and everything however I don't recommend it to anyone else. Not because it is hard but because it is boring.

3.- Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (Switch): In preparation for the release of Monster Hunter Rise, I rushed to complete MHGU on Switch. Fantastic MonHun game, the last of the classic MonHuns pre Monster Hunter World and easily on my top three Classic Monster Hunter games (For everyone wondering it goes like this: 1.- Monster hunter 4 Ultimate, 2.- Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, 3.-Monster Hunter Portable 3rd). I'm kinda burn out on it though. :P

Thankfully I have Monster Hunter Rise to ease the burn, and oh boy what a game it is!

4.-The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS): In theory I should like it , however IMO it is one of the weaker Legend of Zelda games. Don't get me wrong I like, but not as much as other "2d" Zelda games (which is a category on its own IMO). I was definitely not fond on the whole rent your own weapons gimmick.

5.- Ion Fury (Switch port): I love it lol. I definitely think this is the way to go in regards to build engine games (and its spiritual successors wherever a indie dev is cooking them up) and I'm very excited for the upcoming DLC.

Have a dancing singing sexy doctor Heskell while you are at it:

6.- Blasphemous (Switch): Fucking fantastic metroidvania that has very good Spanish voice acting. That last bit my friends is so rare that I though I was hearing a youtube video or something on the background at first. 10/10 would definitely play again. in fact, i will play it again on PC and I'll try to 100% it.

7.-Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Switch): Pretty good IMO, not that great as Symphony of the Night and obviously not that good looking as it is in 3D and not 2D. However it has some solid gameplay and I will definitely play it again on PC (the superior port as always).

By this point I imagine you all can figure out that I love metroidvanias lol.

8.-Duke Nukem 3D 20th anniv. World Tour (Switch port): Really, really wish that World Tour was not shit on PC because I actually like dynamic lighting gimmick. I still can not believe this is the definitive port of this version of the game. Fuck this fucking clown world we live. FUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

9.-Grim Dawn (all expansions on PC):

Boy did this game burn the fuck out of me. I love it but Jesus Christ the Grind was just... Say what you will about Diablo 3 but at least the grind does not feel as harsh as Grim Dawn's does. Fucking excellent world building though.

10.- Diablo 3 (Switch port): ...I'm thrash.

And finally. The one, the only:

11.- Record of Lodoss War: -Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth- (PC only): What is that you say? A Record of Lodoss War metroidvania game with tight gameplay, beautifull art and it is actually good!? Yeah that is the good stuff. PUT A LINE DIRECTLY INTO MY VEINS. FUCK IT MAKE IT A CENTRAL, I DON'T EVEN CARE!

And that is all. I'm currently working on finishing Doom Eternal, however work has been making it impossible to play the game on PC. Unsurprisingly, the most time I spent gaming was on portable consoles. It's easier to play for me on my daily commute, were I have like 30 minutes - 1 hour to kill.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Tend to play very few games that are recent. In the last 2 years I've played a bunch of Blood mods that I found out about through pagb666's channel (most were pretty good), HROT EP 1 (Soviet bleakness supreme), Carmageddon Max Damage (highly recommended if you played 1-2 back in the day), Thief Deadly Shadows (mostly meh, with some good moments), Klingon Honor Guard (fuck yes), Clive Barker's Undying (still really good, but gets annoying near the end), GTA 1 (harder than I remember it being, bit of let-down, really) and finally Montezuma's Return, which is a pretty interesting albeit janky first person platformer with action elements. Here's a video of the latter:

(looks better with Glide emulation)

Oh yeah, been playing Twisted Metal 2 online with some folks. There's some kind of source port we're using.

This post has been edited by Immanuel Cunt: 12 April 2021 - 12:29 AM

User is offline   LAW 

View Postjkas789, on 11 April 2021 - 08:25 PM, said:

2.-Doom 64 (PC port): I hated the horizontal mouse aiming and honestly there is some weird funky glitches going on to this day. As always Night Dive ports cool shit and then leaves it to die on a road somewhere. i did 100% this one though. Got all the achievements and everything however I don't recommend it to anyone else. Not because it is hard but because it is boring.

4.-The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS): In theory I should like it , however IMO it is one of the weaker Legend of Zelda games. Don't get me wrong I like, but not as much as other "2d" Zelda games (which is a category on its own IMO). I was definitely not fond on the whole rent your own weapons gimmick.

5.- Ion Fury (Switch port): I love it lol. I definitely think this is the way to go in regards to build engine games (and its spiritual successors wherever a indie dev is cooking them up) and I'm very excited for the upcoming DLC.

8.-Duke Nukem 3D 20th anniv. World Tour (Switch port): Really, really wish that World Tour was not shit on PC because I actually like dynamic lighting gimmick. I still can not believe this is the definitive port of this version of the game. Fuck this fucking clown world we live. FUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Have you played the original Doom 64? I guess you also wouldn't like it.

I plan to play the first Zelda game in my life - and it will be Ocarina of Time.

I haven't played Ion Fury yet. I don't like the color palette and I just don't like the protagonist. In the real world I would not touch her even with an ugly stick ;)

What is wrong with the PC version of World Tour, because I am about to play it someday? So is it really better on Switch?

User is offline   LAW 

View PostImmanuel Cunt, on 12 April 2021 - 12:07 AM, said:

Tend to play very few games that are recent. In the last 2 years I've played a bunch of Blood mods that I found out about through pagb666's channel (most were pretty good), HROT EP 1 (Soviet bleakness supreme), Carmageddon Max Damage (highly recommended if you played 1-2 back in the day), Thief Deadly Shadows (mostly meh, with some good moments), Klingon Honor Guard (fuck yes), Clive Barker's Undying (still really good, but gets annoying near the end), GTA 1 (harder than I remember it being, bit of let-down, really) and finally Montezuma's Return, which is a pretty interesting albeit janky first person platformer with action elements.

Oh yeah, been playing Twisted Metal 2 online with some folks. There's some kind of source port we're using.

Yes, there are so many nice maps and mods for Blood. I haven't tried them, because there was no source port. Now there is, so I have to check it out.

Thief Deadly Shadows is on my list on the Classic Xbox. I have the feeling that it will be better than the Thief from PS3 era.

Twisted Metal 2 is a great game. I have been playing it with buddies, my sister and now I play it with a 12 years old girl :) Everybody loves Twisted Metal 2. So, is there some kind of modern Twisted Metal 2 port? I looked at the video: it has TM2 characters and TM1 levels. Could you tell me more about this?

This post has been edited by LAW: 12 April 2021 - 01:07 AM

• banned!

Main issue I had with Ion Fury is it gets too busy for its own good sometimes. There were many times I was being shot at and didn't know where the bullets were coming from. Enemies tended to blend into their environment more and I think partly it's an issue of the increased texture resolution. Differently colored blobs are easy to discern from a low res background.

View PostLAW, on 12 April 2021 - 01:04 AM, said:

Twisted Metal 2 is a great game. I have been playing it with buddies, my sister and now I play it with a 12 years old girl :) Everybody loves Twisted Metal 2. So, is there some kind of modern Twisted Metal 2 port? I looked at the video: it has TM2 characters and TM1 levels. Could you tell me more about this?

I am not sure I can link the actual port as it contains all the game assets as well, but if you follow the comments under the video I shared, you'll see a Discord channel mentioned, and there you can find everything you need. Failing that, just send me a PM and I'll help you out.

This post has been edited by Immanuel Cunt: 12 April 2021 - 01:20 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

I've recently replayed Duke Nukem I and Duke Nukem II after like 20 years since I played them for the first time. Had some fun with them, although Duke II was quite difficult on the hardest difficulty - not sure if it was the DOS Box thing, but some levels were particularly difficult and the final boss took me way too many tries before I found a good strategy to beat him (which still required to play the level almost perfectly). I really appreciate a lot of level design aspects of Duke II especially though, there's a lot of stuff that was certainly well thought of (also seems Allen H. Blum was the guy responsible for level design).

Also in the recent months I've started my first ever playthrough of Shadow Warrior. Finished the main game and Wanton Destruction. I liked it especially for some clever level design ideas and new tricks possible with Build that weren't there in Duke, but overall I think it's a good, but also a much weaker game than Duke and probably having played it back when it came instead of Duke, I wouldn't get so involved. The combat was challenging at time, but mostly rather annoying than funny, with a lot of weird AI from the enemies (also most enemy designs look like crap, sorry). The levels, safe for some, felt quite generic, which was a bit of a letdown considering the potential they had. I liked the crazy guns though - definitely was fun to use them all!

• banned!

View PostAleks, on 12 April 2021 - 01:31 AM, said:

I've recently replayed Duke Nukem I and Duke Nukem II after like 20 years since I played them for the first time.

Had the same idea, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I found a port for Duke 2 called Rigel Engine which allows you to play in widescreen, although it also makes the game easier. Perhaps playing it on hard will balance things out?

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostImmanuel Cunt, on 12 April 2021 - 01:39 AM, said:

Had the same idea, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I found a port for Duke 2 called Rigel Engine which allows you to play in widescreen, although it also makes the game easier. Perhaps playing it on hard will balance things out?

Haven't used it, but might be a good idea if you don't want it to get annoying at any point. There were few levels I'd have to retake like 3-5 times, very few that required like 10 tries (level 5 of first episode and penultimate level of 4th episode come to mind), then final level required me to un-learn everything I've seen in a YouTube video of someone playing it and come up with a more robust strategy - I'd usually try it like 3-5 times in a row, then get angry and drop it for a few days really :P The game also allows you to adjust its speed, which doesn't seem to have direct relation on the difficulty - for example, on higher speed it seemed like you needed faster reactions, but also could fire more rapidly and deal with a lot of things right away.

View PostLAW, on 12 April 2021 - 12:58 AM, said:

Have you played the original Doom 64? I guess you also wouldn't like it.

I plan to play the first Zelda game in my life - and it will be Ocarina of Time.

I haven't played Ion Fury yet. I don't like the color palette and I just don't like the protagonist. In the real world I would not touch her even with an ugly stick ;)

What is wrong with the PC version of World Tour, because I am about to play it someday? So is it really better on Switch?

1.- Yes I have played the original version of Doom 64 and honestly the controls were jank as fuck.

2.- Ocarina of time is fucking Kino. Best version is the 3ds remaster, however to play it you need either a 3ds or emulator.

3.- You really should, IF is pretty great!

4.- Oh boy, were to start. Well at least in my system (Core i7 6700HQ, 16 GB ram, Nividia Geforce GTX 960M, 1tb ssd) it runs like ass. It can't run full screen, it stutters a lot, it crashes when i have fucking sound activated. It crashes when one of the ingame movies runs. it's a shit show. The episode Alien World Order honestly has grown on me. I recommend playing it with the eduke32 stopgap or other sourceport.

Also reminder to both Cunt and Aleks that the game boy port of Duke Nukem is another game on it's own and fall in it's own category like Duke Nukem Advance. Great games that sadly get written off as direct ports.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 14 April 2021 - 07:57 PM

Shovel Knight. Beat the Shovel of Hope campaign on Monday. Good times.

It is a very good action platformer. The other campaigns are also great as well.

User is offline   LAW 

View Postjkas789, on 14 April 2021 - 07:53 PM, said:

1.- Yes I have played the original version of Doom 64 and honestly the controls were jank as fuck.

2.- Ocarina of time is fucking Kino. Best version is the 3ds remaster, however to play it you need either a 3ds or emulator.

3.- You really should, IF is pretty great!

4.- Oh boy, were to start. Well at least in my system (Core i7 6700HQ, 16 GB ram, Nividia Geforce GTX 960M, 1tb ssd) it runs like ass. It can't run full screen, it stutters a lot, it crashes when i have fucking sound activated. It crashes when one of the ingame movies runs. it's a shit show. The episode Alien World Order honestly has grown on me. I recommend playing it with the eduke32 stopgap or other sourceport.

Also reminder to both Cunt and Aleks that the game boy port of Duke Nukem is another game on it's own and fall in it's own category like Duke Nukem Advance. Great games that sadly get written off as direct ports.

1. You know you could change the controls in Doom 64... I didn't have any problems, but I am a console gamer mostly.

4. Wow, shocking that the game runs badly on your PC. I like some elements of the fifth episode, while I don't like the others. The final boss was not epic or original.

I'm a dumbass. That is all.

But back on topic, I have recently played some other games.

Of note are:

Resident Evil Village: Not gonna lie, this felt pretty mediocre. It was like I was playing resi4 in first person with big tiddy milf vampire lady + co. I would go as far as to say that gameplay wise Resi 7 was better. Story was also pretty meh.

Subanutica Below Zero whatever the fuck it is named: It basically takes the first game then instead of taking the golden nuggets it already had (good progression, completely underwater exploration sim, lowkey horror of the unknown, story is basically lore but is not shoved in your face, mostly alien animals, etc) and basically poops on it. Why does my underwater exploration/survival sim has land on it? WHY?!. Why are there fucking penguins on a alien planet? Why is the story shoved in my face. 0/10 pirate the fuck out of it.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 14 May 2021 - 09:17 AM

User is offline   LAW 

That lady and the environment are the two factors pushing me towards Resident Evil 8, but I would have to buy PS4 :P There are a few games I would like to play on that console: said RE, Shadow Warrior, Doom 2016 and Far Cry Primal.

Edit: Oh and finally Duke Nukem 20th Anniversary.

This post has been edited by LAW: 14 May 2021 - 01:18 PM

User is offline   Šneček 

Last couple of days I played Forklift Truck Simulator 2009, that I saw as a child in a shop at a time, when boxed games were still being sold in supermarkets. Unfortunately, on the third day after download, the fun and joy of playing this game slowly began to leave me:-(

This post has been edited by Šneček: 10 June 2021 - 06:39 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I love point and click adventure games. I'm maybe 1/2 way thru Kathy Rain.
https://www.google.c...iw=1229&bih=588

User is offline   Šneček 

I finished Darkest of Days today and I enjoyed it a lot. I have it installed since August (I downloaded it as a birthday gift to myself). It was a FPS combination of diverse wars through decades.

User is offline   Šneček 

I almost forgot - while playing Darkest of Days, I managed to finish Chex Quest 3 at the same time. :-) Chex Quest 3 is, essentially, a kid version of Doom.

This post has been edited by Šneček: 20 August 2021 - 06:59 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options