Duke4.net Forums: Devolver marries Croteam - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Devolver marries Croteam

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

https://devolverdigi...ver-got-hitched

Devolver has acquired Croteam...or maybe Croteam has acquired Devolver...who could really know at this point in the relationship. What’s certain is that our future together is ultra exciting with new projects like The Talos Principle 2, more Serious Sam games, and original IP from Croteam and the Croteam Incubator studios. Croteam will of course keep total creative freedom and Devolver Digital gets to keep making dumb recommendations that Croteam just ignores - we prefer it that way.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 October 2020 - 07:55 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

So I guess the pertinent question is what does this actually change?

User is offline   Steve 64 

So who's getting knock up?

can't believe I just said that hehehe I'm going to get in trouble for that I know but I don't care.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

This is like when Albertsons and Safeway "merged" and people kept asking what changed.

Some of our shit became their shit, and some of their shit became our shit. Some paperwork says "Safeway-Albertsons" others say "Albertsons-Safeway."

In a situation like this I assume Devolver gets money, and that's about it.

• The Sarien Encounter

Honestly, a small part of me thought they were joined already to some degree.

User is offline   jkas789 

I'm okay with this.

Guest_Bubble Gum Chewer_*

Nothing to worry about, at least compared to Micro$oft acquiring id Software. Probably.

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh I'm not worried. And I know this means basically nothing for how things will be different. Just interesting news.

Guest_Bubble Gum Chewer_*

Just thinking out loud. Habit.

I still can't imagine why Microsoft would be any worse than Bethesda. For one thing, Microsoft software usually works around 70% of the time, whereas Bethesda software barely works 30% of the time. They're both shit. To this day I still don't really know where the hell Bethesda came from (of course I know where they came from geographically, that one is obvious), literally nobody had heard of them when they showed up in the early 2000s and started buying everything.

I also can't fathom why anyone gives a damn about ID, they're nothing and they've been nothing for a very long time. The ID of the 90s went away long, long ago and now it's just a name. Having any concern about this would be like giving a crap about Atari today and even then, thanks to the world being full of suckers, it would make no difference anyway, this industry is run by marketing firms and publishers now, neither of which really understand the medium at all, base their decisions on lord only knows what dumb statistics and contract people who have no love for what they're being made to do.
Some day, I swear, it will come out how there was a massive plot to subvert the industry around 20-25 years ago, to push out real innovators and quality developers and replace it all with the same, boring corporate marketing crap like you see today.

No idea who Devolver are, but sure, hopefully this doesn't change Croteam too much. Couldn't care less about Croteam's games, they were never my kind of thing, but I did at least like them as developers.

• The Sarien Encounter

Devolver are the ones who own Shadow Warrior right now.

And as far as I'm concerned, id Software came back strong with Doom 2016 and have been riding high as one of the top developers around since in my opinion.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 22 October 2020 - 07:14 PM

Well that seems fitting for them, given it was more Serious Japan (at least it wasn't Egypt) than Shadow Warrior.

Whether you like the game or not, it's not ID any more the same way Fresch & Co. is not 3D Realms, no matter how much they might pretend to be.

• The Sarien Encounter

Ah, I see. Yes, Id of the 90s is long gone. I don't really care. I prefer this new Id.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 October 2020 - 05:20 AM, said:

Ah, I see. Yes, Id of the 90s is long gone. I don't really care. I prefer this new Id.

Ditto.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostHigh Treason, on 22 October 2020 - 01:48 PM, said:

I still can't imagine why Microsoft would be any worse than Bethesda. For one thing, Microsoft software usually works around 70% of the time, whereas Bethesda software barely works 30% of the time. They're both shit. To this day I still don't really know where the hell Bethesda came from (of course I know where they came from geographically, that one is obvious), literally nobody had heard of them when they showed up in the early 2000s and started buying everything.

Microsoft has a history of, like EA, meddling with the studios they buy and then, when it blows up in their face, blame it on the developers and shut a good studio down. Bethesda is trash, but they seemed to leave id mostly alone.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 October 2020 - 05:20 AM, said:

That's insane.

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 22 October 2020 - 07:11 PM, said:

Devolver are the ones who own Shadow Warrior right now.

Too bad they don't have Duke.

• The Sarien Encounter

Duke, Lo Wang, and Sam under one roof. It's too perfect to become reality.

Maybe that's what Croteam and Devolver are planning. Pool their resources and buy Duke from Gearbox. lol

View Postnecroslut, on 23 October 2020 - 03:32 PM, said:

That's insane.

I never really cared as much for oldschool id as others did. I had more fun with Apogee and 3DR games. Commander Keen was fun and I liked Heretic and Hexen but they were more Raven games. Also, I do like the original Wolf3D. Id was fine, but I was never the big fan of them that others were. The Quakes didn't REALLY impress me (and I prefer the second to the first, I dislike 3 because it's MP-only, and Q4 I thought was a huge downgrade, even though that was Raven too). And when I first saw the Rage reveal I just rolled my eyes and continued moving on. Games like Duke3D and Half-Life distracted me from Id successfully and I got along just fine without them. I know the game industry owes them a lot and I respect the talent, but I wasn't a big fan. Doom 2016 and ultimately Eternal made me a big Id fan. I just believe they're more fun than the original Doom.

I think it's partially due to the fact that I wasn't allowed to play Doom at a young age because of the Hellish direction. While dad let me play Duke Nukem 3D with the parental lock on (which was more visually impressive and fun to play as well as map for than Doom). Also, Doom 2 was just basically a Doom mod with a couple more enemies. All through their years I just would look from afar at their games and thought "still nothing really great to see here I guess, moving along..."

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 October 2020 - 06:35 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 October 2020 - 06:29 PM, said:

Duke, Lo Wang, and Sam under one roof. It's too perfect to become reality.

Maybe that's what Croteam and Devolver are planning. Pool their resources and buy Duke from Gearbox. lol

People keep begging for this, but they still haven't convinced me they even know what to do with Shadow Warrior...

I never really cared as much for oldschool id as others did. I had more fun with Apogee and 3DR games. Commander Keen was fun and I liked Heretic and Hexen but they were more Raven games. Also, I do like the original Wolf3D. Id was fine, but I was never the big fan of them that others were. The Quakes didn't REALLY impress me (and I prefer the second to the first, I dislike 3 because it's MP-only, and Q4 I thought was a huge downgrade, even though that was Raven too). And when I first saw the Rage reveal I just rolled my eyes and continued moving on. Games like Duke3D and Half-Life distracted me from Id successfully and I got along just fine without them. I know the game industry owes them a lot and I respect the talent, but I wasn't a big fan. Doom 2016 and ultimately Eternal made me a big Id fan. I just believe they're more fun than the original Doom.

To be fair, classic id are slightly overrated -- but modern id even more so. The original Doom is still near perfect though.

• The Sarien Encounter

I guess I only really started to play Doom after playing Duke3D and by then it was such a downgrade from Duke I simply wasn't that impressed. I see more in Doom now, but that first impression won't go away. Whereas new Doom I'm having such a blast with.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 24 October 2020 - 07:43 AM

Devolver Digital is celebrating buy giving money to Anita Sarkeesian's latest feminist frequency fund raiser!

They just keep falling don't they HAHAHAHA

This post has been edited by Duke Legacy: 13 May 2021 - 12:54 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

What does that have to do with this thread?

Well I didn't want to make anew forum for this, Do you want me to make a new forum for this Fine I do it then.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Not big on the Shadow Warrior reboots, to be honest. I really tried to like the first one, but... Eh. Old Lo Wang was just way better.

I also really don't want all the classic games under one roof. Doom Duke Quake Shadow Warrior Blood Serious Sam... It's going to lead to some culling, or some Marvel Cinematic Universe "sameness." Part of what made some of the old games fun was the sort of friendly competition between the studios.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options