Duke4.net Forums: Will I basically lose my Google account? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Will I basically lose my Google account?

So a while ago I got the following email from Google:

"Your Google Drive storage plan will not renew

Hi Kristian,

We wanted to let you know that your Google Drive paid storage plan will be discontinued soon. This means that when your next billing cycle ends on Oct 6, 2020, your subscription will not automatically renew. But we have good news: once that happens, you’ll be able to purchase more storage by upgrading to Google One, our new membership for paid cloud storage.

To give you plenty of time to take action, we’ll let you keep your current storage for an extra 30 days at no extra cost once your billing cycle ends. Keep in mind that if you don’t upgrade to Google One and go over your free storage limit, you won't be able to store new files and you may not be able to send and receive emails at kristian.joensen@gmail.com.

If you have any other questions, please refer to the Google One Help Center."

The problem with this is that Google One is not supported in the Faroe Islands. I reached out to Google Support, but they have been less than helpful. I am not sure what to do. I have 965 GB of stuff on my Google Drive. I do have 3 TB Dropbox account, but there doesn't seem to be easy way to transfer all my data to Dropbox. It seems I need to download each file/folder individually to a computer or external HDD or soemthing and then upload it to Dropbox. I am pretty worried about this thing. The prospect of moving all that that data is not good, the prospects of no longer having automatic backups of my photos and videos on my phone is worse, as is the prospect of losing the abiliity to send and receive emails. What the heck am I supposed to do?

User is offline   jkas789 

Are you using google enterprise or something along those lines? Afaik email functionality should still remain if you aren't. Also the website from Google One says that as a free Google One user (which it seems is what you will default into) you "can back up data on your phone, and also free up space in your Google Account using the storage manager." and "Every Google Account starts with 15 GB of free storage that’s shared across Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos". I would assume that they'll kill your Google Drive but your mail and messages will remain untouched and usable. I would still make a new email account (which is a good practice anyway) just in case they go full nuclear.

I also received the email however when I contacted the my workplace about it they told me they'll pay for the upgrade.

Sorry I can't help you more, I feel for you. I think at this point if google help (or whatever their assistance service is named) doesn't respond I would start downloading as much as possible if I were you.

Also never trust the Cloud.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options