Join us on Discord https://discord.gg/jNrKdk5
Release date 15th Oct 2020

This post has been edited by William Gee: 15 September 2020 - 03:38 AM

User is offline   darkcaleb 

View PostWilliam Gee, on 15 September 2020 - 03:37 AM, said:

https://youtu.be/v-fLLNwX0ZQ
Join us on Discord https://discord.gg/jNrKdk5
Release date 15th Oct 2020

Looking good there WG! Keep up the good work! :)
Cant wait for the release!

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Comes out about a week after my birthday. Sweet!
Love what I've seen here.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I am incredibly excited for this. I had given up that WGR2 would ever be finished, right up until you came back and announced its resurrection.

WGR2 is something that grew on me a lot over the years and I'm so happy it's back to life. I also greatly appreciate that it is playable via the classic renderer. I know it won't look the prettiest, but until I get a more powerful computer it's about the only way I'll be able to play it. As such, the classic compatibility, even if it's ugly, is very much appreciated. When I do get a better rig, replaying this with its intended look is gonna be top priority.

Considering I've gone back to 1.2 (and even the original WGR1) multiple times over the years, I don't think I'll be objecting to replaying this all over again to see how it was intended to look. Chances are I might have gone through it a second time via the classic renderer by that time anyway.

I'm counting the days.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNinety-Six, on 17 September 2020 - 01:46 PM, said:

I know it won't look the prettiest, but until I get a more powerful computer it's about the only way I'll be able to play it. As such, the classic compatibility, even if it's ugly, is very much appreciated.

I'll give you a breakdown of the current state. If you start a game with classic renderer, you get a warning screen, but you can click OK and continue.

The main menu font will look horrible, the opening cinematic will be the old Duke 3D one, and the title screen won't look very good. The skyboxes will look pretty ugly. But the actual level textures and sprites in game will look fine. I did use models for firing the therminator (a beam weapon that can either burn or freeze) but it will show a line of sprites if you use classic. Certain things in the hud will look bad. For example, if you take damage, the damage direction indicators won't look right. We may be able to address some of these issues before release.

View PostNinety-Six, on 17 September 2020 - 01:46 PM, said:

Considering I've gone back to 1.2 (and even the original WGR1) multiple times over the years, I don't think I'll be objecting to replaying this all over again to see how it was intended to look. Chances are I might have gone through it a second time via the classic renderer by that time anyway.

Nice to hear.
The old episodes feel fresh in this version.

View PostDanukem, on 17 September 2020 - 02:01 PM, said:

I'll give you a breakdown of the current state. If you start a game with classic renderer, you get a warning screen, but you can click OK and continue.

The main menu font will look horrible, the opening cinematic will be the old Duke 3D one, and the title screen won't look very good. The skyboxes will look pretty ugly. But the actual level textures and sprites in game will look fine. I did use models for firing the therminator (a beam weapon that can either burn or freeze) but it will show a line of sprites if you use classic. Certain things in the hud will look bad. For example, if you take damage, the damage direction indicators won't look right. We may be able to address some of these issues before release.

Thanks for the heads-up. When I first start it I'll probably have Polymost on to see the cinematic and then switch back.

The broken skyboxes I'm not a stranger to. Back in 1.2, while it wasn't a problem with the main levels, Chaos Realms had a particularly broken sky texture in classic. Still, I sort of know what to expect in that department. I do seem to recall the Terminator gun from Alien Armageddon using a similar model/sprite projectile, which I was also forced to play in Classic.

And as long as the damage indicators don't do something like blind the player or anything, those should be fine too. It's not really the end of the world if they're off-center or something like that.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 17 September 2020 - 07:54 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I assume all the issues from the old version have also been fixed, so DT can completely replace the edited version I'm currently using in the Addon Compilation? I think the biggest change we made was the shotgun zoom fix, besides some minor con/def edits and widescreen graphics for some weapons.

Oh, and will the Knee-Deep addon be included as well?

View PostNightFright, on 18 September 2020 - 03:36 AM, said:

I assume all the issues from the old version have also been fixed, so DT can completely replace the edited version I'm currently using in the Addon Compilation? I think the biggest change we made was the shotgun zoom fix, besides some minor con/def edits and widescreen graphics for some weapons.

Oh, and will the Knee-Deep addon be included as well?

All weapons are widescreen compatible. The Knee-Deep addon and other offshoots of WGR2 are not included.

User is offline   Mark 

But not to worry. Some of us archived the older WGR2 project folder back when it included 3D models and some Polymer content.
Plus I'm sure there are still valid links online somewhere. This is just to assure the 6 or 7 players worldwide that like the older version that it will still be available. :)

This post has been edited by Mark: 18 September 2020 - 08:46 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Think of it as a new game that has some refurbished versions of the old levels ported over.

We have overhauled most of the game and added tons of new content. Fans of the old non-canon levels are free to make the necessary changes to them so that they work with this new game, after it is released. We would be doing those levels a disservice by including them in a broken state.

If some aren't updated, I do hope 1.2 will remain available if for no other reason than compatibility with the older mods.

Though at least as far as Knee-Deep is concerned, wasn't that standalone? Or am I remembering wrong?

Isnt Knee Deep a map?

It's two maps, one super massive one and then the E1M8 portion gets its own level. I think it was a custom boss as well, and I very distinctly remember Duke having Jedrik's dash. Also I believe the starting health was lower? Something like that.

So yeah it would have had to have been standalone. Answered my own question.

There is also Hectic Realms for ploymer lovers and it is standalone. https://www.moddb.co...s/hectic-realms

This post has been edited by William Gee: 19 September 2020 - 01:14 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostWilliam Gee, on 19 September 2020 - 01:13 AM, said:

There is also Hectic Realms for ploymer lovers and it is standalone. https://www.moddb.co...s/hectic-realms

IIRC Hectic Realms should work just fine in polymost too.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Well, I dunno about the original Knee-Deep release, but the version in the Addon Compilation definitely requires WGRealms2 due to shared resources. Won't run without it. My concern is that with the new WGR2 coming up, this addon won't be compatible any more (however, I can't imagine it will be that hard to make it work again if file paths haven't changed in general).

View PostNightFright, on 25 September 2020 - 08:50 AM, said:

Well, I dunno about the original Knee-Deep release, but the version in the Addon Compilation definitely requires WGRealms2 due to shared resources. Won't run without it. My concern is that with the new WGR2 coming up, this addon won't be compatible any more (however, I can't imagine it will be that hard to make it work again if file paths haven't changed in general).

I would suggest keeping Siege Breaker and Demon Throne separate. Many aspects have changed, including the maps, weapons and almost all of the enemy sprites, and the code changes will most likely make Knee Deep incompatible with Demon Throne as it stands.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

https://www.moddb.co.../meet-the-cast1

I will try to make more articles in the coming days highlighting various aspects of the game. No promises, though -- I still have my full time job and if bug reports come up those will take priority over making articles.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The file is uploaded and is set to release in four hours as of this posting. That would make it 12:00AM east coast time. I'm actually on the other coast, but to be fair it's been the 15th where William lives for some time now.

i am the excite

+ Competition +
If you win one of the following Categories we will add your avatar / face to a NPC in the next DLC for Demon throne. Just send us a pic after proving you have won. There are a total of six places to win in three different categories.

+ Categories +
(1) First player to complete the game on "its a good day to die".
(2) First two players to complete the game on "more guts more glory".
(3) First three players to complete the game on "come get some".

To prove you have won one of the Categories take a screenshot of your game stats after the end game credits have rolled and upload it to our Discord server. https://discord.gg/jNrKdk5

One more thing: Please don't cheat. We have a few safeguards, but we know that players can bypass them if they really want to. Let's keep it fun and fair for everyone.

This post has been edited by William Gee: 14 October 2020 - 04:39 PM

I see there's a new difficulty selection this time.

So what's the difference between them this round? More damage taken stuff?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Piece of cake was eliminated -- no one uses it anyway.

Let's Rock is the "easy" difficulty. It's actually normal in every way but enemies do 75% damage.
Come Get Some is normal everything.
More Guts More Glory adds random auras to most of the harder monsters.
Good Day to Die has the auras, plus in some cases monsters are replaced by harder variants, plus monsters do %125 damage.

User is offline   Hank 

... downloading right now.
Many Thanks :wub:

This post has been edited by Hank: 14 October 2020 - 08:11 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

An update. There is a crash to desktop upon loading the second gameplay map. It was caused by the latest change to userbyteversion (the internal version numbering system for the game). I have removed the line of code that changes the internal number and that has fixed the crash. The updated main file is now uploading to Mod DB. For anyone who already downloaded and would prefer a patch, all you have to do is replace WGR2PLAYR.CON (which is inside of the WGR2 folder) with the one attached to this post.

Attached File(s)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options