Duke4.net Forums: Ion Fury support in the future? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury support in the future?  "Ion Fury in buildgdx?"

User is offline   RetroJaro 

So like the topic says is there any plans to support ion fury in the future? I know it's recent but It'd be nice to have all the build engine games in one place.

User is offline   Master O 

View PostRetroJaro, on 24 August 2020 - 05:12 PM, said:

So like the topic says is there any plans to support ion fury in the future? I know it's recent but It'd be nice to have all the build engine games in one place.

1) Create a discord account.

2) Go here and ask your question in the #buildgdx-general section:

https://discord.gg/mgMGX3r

Edit 8/25/2020: Fixed discord link above.

This post has been edited by Master O: 25 August 2020 - 08:37 AM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

3) get laughed in your face for asking in the wrong discord.

Anyway, to answer your question, don't count on it. It would require porting EDuke32 to Java. There's also a lot more going on under the hood in IF, any additional overhead from Java will be noticeable.

User is offline   Master O 

View PostPhredreeke, on 25 August 2020 - 07:51 AM, said:

3) get laughed in your face for asking in the wrong discord.

Anyway, to answer your question, don't count on it. It would require porting EDuke32 to Java. There's also a lot more going on under the hood in IF, any additional overhead from Java will be noticeable.

More likely, he'd just be pointed to the BuildGDX discord instead.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Unlike other Build games, the source release for Ion Fury is literally all of Eduke32 itself + Megabytes of CON.
Whole effort would be pointless as the base game already exists on an engine that runs on modern platforms, which eliminates the whole point of porting a game.

User is offline   RetroJaro 

View Postoasiz, on 25 August 2020 - 09:03 AM, said:

Unlike other Build games, the source release for Ion Fury is literally all of Eduke32 itself + Megabytes of CON.
Whole effort would be pointless as the base game already exists on an engine that runs on modern platforms, which eliminates the whole point of porting a game.

Ah. Thanks for the answers. Especially this one.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

To make sure we're on the same page; you mean support like troubleshooting support for the game or do you mean support like - run EDuke32 and select the game?

If it is the former then there is an Ion Fury support forum on Duke4. The creators of the game are active on the forums here and are always willing to help.

If it is the latter, here is your solution (assuming you have Ion Fury already installed through Steam or GOG already, otherwise you will need to manually place the IF files into the folder you will be creating). This will also work in getting Duke Nukem 3D to run:

• Unzip the contents to a folder somewhere that you can easily access. I prefer to put mine here:
    C:\EDuke32
    but you can put it anywhere that works best for you.

• Open the new folder.

• Double click eduke32.exe, a screen should pop up now confirming EDuke32 was "installed" correctly:
    Attached File  eduke32.png (63.33K)
    Number of downloads: 10 Your screen might have more or less options than mine in the Game section, but if you see nothing there or an error is displayed then you didn't install Ion Fury.
  • Select "Ion Fury", make sure that your Video mode option is at the right resolution and that you select the render option that you prefer or that your hardware supports before pressing start. Software is -often- the safest option if you have no clue what I'm talking about here, but even my HP laptop from 2014 can run OpenGL if I desire, so you can always give that a try and if performance is lacking then switch to software.
  • Press start to load up the game.

As you can see, EDuke32 allows you to select from the different games, at least between Duke and Ion Fury. What about SW and Blood? Well, voidSW is now included with EDuke32, and if you followed my instructions and unzipped that EDuke32 download link then you already have voidSW.exe in this folder as well! Simply follow the same steps as before with setting it up, just use voidSW.exe instead of eduke32.exe and you're good to go for SW.. So, you don't even have to download a separate zip for SW support. Now, onto Blood..

• Download NBlood - be sure to download the proper version for your machine, in my case it is the win64 option, don't worry about the debug versions. If you don't know which version to download then do a search in Windows for "System Information", click that and from there look for "System type" - if it is x86 then download the Win32 version, if it is x64 then download the Win64 option. If you can't figure this out then download one, see if it works, and if it doesn't then try the other one you didn't download first instead.

• Unzip the NBlood files into the same EDuke32 folder if you wish, and it shouldn't interfere with anything for just playing the games and addons. Alternatively, follow the same basic directions for setting up EDuke32, only you will have NBlood in a folder of its own. You could then create a shortcut to NBlood and copy/paste that into the Eduke32 directory for quick access if you wish.

Remember, you need to have the games installed through GOG or Steam. Otherwise, you will have to copy the game files necessary for play to get them running manually.

Now all the BUILD engine games that you'd want to play are in one place, and there is also a RR option but I haven't tried that out myself (lie, I have tried the source port but have found myself playing DN3D through it and haven't tried RR yet through it) so I won't cover that. Sure, you have three EXEs to use instead of one, but is it really THAT big of a deal? Do you not have the hard drive space? You could make it even easier and put shortcuts on your start menu or taskbar, even your desktop! Pretty sure it would even be possible to make a batch or com file that lets you select which EXE to run if it is really that hard to double click more than one EXE.

Oh, and go figure I typed all this out only to now realize this is asking about BuildGDX. Whatever, my advice is to try the above if BuildGDX isn't doing what you want it to.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options