Duke4.net Forums: GDX vs NBLOOD who wins - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GDX vs NBLOOD who wins

User is offline   Strogglet 

After trying all sourceports, this is what I think:

BuildGDX
This is what finally started an actual porting trend of Blood, so even if you dislike it, it deserves a mention.
Problem is, the mouse movement is horrible, frame pacing is just as horrible, VSync is just asking for extreme pain.
If that's not a problem, then I'm sure the video will be because it feels like a very weird mix of trying to be 2.5D and 3D, neither successful. Gives me vertigo.
Everything else is good, the mod support is amazing and the sound uses OpenAL that you can configure.

NBlood
This one has the flaws from EDuke32, but other than that, it has a slightly better mouse control, frame pacing is alright, runs VSync okay with it, not perfect but much better than BuildGDX anyway.
Problem is, it's hard to mod with it, doesn't even have a proper "autoload" function and the sound is just horrible, you can't change it much either.
I still prefer NBlood over BuildGDX though, mouse movement is important for me.

Fresh Supply
Worst port in all fairness.
I've had issues with enemy AI being incredibly stupid, way more than in DOS, what's with the Cultists being so slow and undetermined, the fat zombies having a tendency to get stuck? Doesn't help the sound sucks and the mouse movement is on par with BuildGDX.
And this is a nitpick, but not being able to disable palette emulation or enable level stats (You can't even see them on the map) is annoying.
Have to admit though, the "Full 3D" is done right and beautifully, I love it.

RAZE
I have my highest hopes on this one.
It's still pretty much "being born", but since it is based on GZDoom, well that's why I have my high hopes up.
It should have much better mod support, various methods to render, use sounds, create custom inputs and make mods.
I tried it myself, on Blood, the only issue I had is inaccuracy and the movement being too static.
Also don't get me wrong, it is "bad" for now because it doesn't have easy-to-access mod support, it's using NBlood's method for now.

So yeah, in short, I'm pretty much all in for RAZE, but I know how important BuildGDX and NBlood are, we wouldn't have Blood otherwise.
I just wish those "quirks" I mentioned were easily fixed, I have no trust in "Fresh Supply" getting better anytime soon though, I bet that reviewer Civvie is mad about it too.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostStrogglet, on 15 January 2021 - 10:33 AM, said:

RAZE
I have my highest hopes on this one.
It's still pretty much "being born", but since it is based on GZDoom, well that's why I have my high hopes up.
It should have much better mod support, various methods to render, use sounds, create custom inputs and make mods.
I tried it myself, on Blood, the only issue I had is inaccuracy and the movement being too static.
Also don't get me wrong, it is "bad" for now because it doesn't have easy-to-access mod support, it's using NBlood's method for now.

It's a misconception that Blood on Raze will be more moddable due to its relationship with GZDoom. You can't simply plug a scripting language written for one game into the codebase of another game and expect it to work.

Further, Graf has no interest in supporting software rendering. In fact one of the first things he did was to take that out. (I am assuming this is what you refer to by various methods to render)

View PostPhredreeke, on 15 January 2021 - 11:43 AM, said:

It's a misconception that Blood on Raze will be more moddable due to its relationship with GZDoom. You can't simply plug a scripting language written for one game into the codebase of another game and expect it to work.

Further, Graf has no interest in supporting software rendering. In fact one of the first things he did was to take that out. (I am assuming this is what you refer to by various methods to render)

Are you saying that it's virtually impossible to mod Blood the same way as Doom? So there can't be a mix of gameplay, weapons, monsters, UI and map mods?
That kinda sucks.

And no, I meant API renderers, but I was wrong, it's only either OpenGL or Vulkan, not bad and all but Fresh Supply made it first and it's not like they'll make a major difference overall.

I'm not saying Blood can't be modded, look at NoOne's No Hope in Sight. I believe the Raze devs are working on reimplementing the UI in ZScript, which should open up for UI mods. However "GZDoom-style modding" would require reimplementing the game logic in a scripting language. Fresh Supply already did this which is how Victorious Games was able to do his Extra Crispy mod.

As for APIs, Polymost in NBlood and BloodGDX already runs with FPS in the thousands on nVidia GPUs...

User is offline   jkas789 

For anyone stumbling upon this thread: NBlood gets cool custom moderntypes and stuff that gives mappers the ability to do really cool mods.

Case in point, No Hope In Sight.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Is that a reference to Doom's No End In Sight WAD?

UPD: Watched some of the demo level video at ModDB and wow. Very impressive!

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 18 January 2021 - 04:09 AM

From memory, I upscaled the vines/tentacles used, as well as the Heretic player character used for the boss (which Dzierzan then refined). I also did the painting found in the bathroom.

Saw NHIS myself already, played it, it was really fucking amazing. No doubt one of the best Blood mods, there's still plenty other good mods like Eviction and Death Wish though. (I miss "Rage Against The Machine", bring it back!)
Can't wait to see what will the author do with the later maps and episodes.

View PostPhredreeke, on 17 January 2021 - 06:53 AM, said:

I'm not saying Blood can't be modded, look at NoOne's No Hope in Sight. I believe the Raze devs are working on reimplementing the UI in ZScript, which should open up for UI mods. However "GZDoom-style modding" would require reimplementing the game logic in a scripting language. Fresh Supply already did this which is how Victorious Games was able to do his Extra Crispy mod.

As for APIs, Polymost in NBlood and BloodGDX already runs with FPS in the thousands on nVidia GPUs...

Oh, that's good news then, just too bad the RAZE devs will have to do some more extra coding to make it much more mod-compatible.

And I thought it was Polymost to blame for the bad mouse movement, VSync and screen rendering?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Polymost improved the mouse aiming, software renderer's camera is fully tied to the player. This means that you used to only have 2048 angles you could rotate the camera in X.
Y was limited to about 200 units up/down (due to how it just changes horizon and not actually looking up/down).

Vsync, tearing, etc.. are usually related to settings one might have.
If you have i.e. 120Hz Gsync monitor, your game play experience will be butter smooth these days.

Polymost mouse aiming was unchained back in 2018 and input handling was unchained from frame rate last year.
It's a night and day difference compared to older polymost experience.

User is offline   Jottle 

View Postoasiz, on 23 January 2021 - 12:27 PM, said:

Vsync, tearing, etc.. are usually related to settings one might have.
If you have i.e. 120Hz Gsync monitor, your game play experience will be butter smooth these days.

Resurrecting because maybe someone knows how how to fix this in nblood. I've tried turning vsync on, off, or adaptive, but I still get screen tearing. Any way to fix this? Have an old 60hz monitor. Turning vsync on usually fixes this on my games and on eduke.

open up the console and write r_vsync 2

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options