Duke4.net Forums: Is horizontal auto aim possible? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is horizontal auto aim possible?

So general question, would some degree of horizonal auto-aim be possible? I'm playing on a controller lately, don't have a desk setup at the moment, long story short.

Playing new games like Doom Eternal, they all tend to have generous auto aim which makes it more doable without the precision of a mouse. Duke and Doom classic have full vertical auto-aim, but it still can be tough to play these with a controller, especially newer maps that are difficulty tuned for mouse.

So if there was a way to have some degree of horizontal leeway as well, maybe say an enemy's hitbox is twice as wide, I'm not sure how it'd be pulled off, but was just curious. I know there are other things I can do to lower difficulty, but just getting the crosshair on the enemy is the main issue for me. And playing it fast and loose to explore the levels is my main interest.

Also, a little off the Duke topic, but Ion Fury is great, was ideal difficulty on normal on mouse. But on controller, I just can't hit anything in that either. Though the lock on pistol is great. So, controller talk, auto aim, it's something I'm looking into lately.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

There might be a solution using CON scripting, but if I were to make that (say, for my AA mod) then I would need to be able to detect whether the player is actually using a controller because that kind of aggressive autoaim would not be good with mouse and keyboard imo.

Cool cool. Could always use a console command or option to turn it on or off, like I think Half-Life has. Seems using steam's controller settings or xpadder to emulate keyboard/mouse via controller is half of how people play controller for these kind of games these days as well.

And that said, I don't know how to get a controller to work natively just with eduke32. If I have an Xbox One controller plugged in, I can press A to skip the intro cutscene, but not sure how to bind mouse look to the right stick for example. And for Ion Fury steam loads a thing to emulate mouse/keyboard that you set up. So I would typically use something like xpadder.

edit: that was on older eduke build, trying the latest one. This one (8791) by default has the right stick look up and down, but not side to side. And going into control settings and setting X-axis to either looking or turning etc, the x-axis still doesn't work at the moment.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 30 March 2020 - 06:06 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Both Duke and Doom have horizontal auto-aiming, it's just limited to an area.

Ah, right on. The horizontal auto-aim for Duke is on by default if set to "always" I figure? I'd heard Doom has it, sounds like it's pretty subtle. The zdoom guy on their forum said "But even so, it just fires 3 traces and takes the first one that hits." in a topic about disabling it for zDoom. Thanks for the info folks.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The main problem I have with autoaim in Duke is that it changes the trajectory of the projectile without making the player's aim change visually. So you get situations where you can clearly see the bullets/rockets/whatever firing off at a different angle from where the gun is pointed. Whereas in a modern game, the barrel of the gun is pulled towards the enemy.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You could possibly mitigate that problem by adjusting the x/y position of the crosshair.

User is offline   Dukebot 

The game already has some horizontal autoaim. It has a lot of vertical and some horizontal. You should not have trouble with the controller! This autoaim was designed for people who played entirely with keyboard which I think it's less precise than a yostick. Why don't u try to adjust your stick sensitivity so it's easier for you to aim properly? I remember playing Duke nukem world tour 20th anniversary on ps4 and had no issues with the default autoaim.

User is offline   Fauch 

I think world tour has a auto aim function, and I was wondering if I should turn it on after trying shadow warrior without it and it was unplayable (with a mouse), but in Duke it's fine without it, just have to be a bit more careful with your shots, with it, I think I can aim a bit to the side and still hit like I aimed at the center of mass.

I usually leave it on, it feels fine. But auto-aim off should be ok with mouse in Duke I think.

Dukebot, on 10 April 2020 - 09:33 PM, said:

The game already has some horizontal autoaim. It has a lot of vertical and some horizontal. You should not have trouble with the controller! This autoaim was designed for people who played entirely with keyboard which I think it's less precise than a yostick. Why don't u try to adjust your stick sensitivity so it's easier for you to aim properly? I remember playing Duke nukem world tour 20th anniversary on ps4 and had no issues with the default autoaim.

I don't have issues as much in World Tour, at least once I disable v-sync for that game via nvidia settings. Since it's sluggish with that on. The controller settings feel good in that overall.

In eduke32, I just have issues with the controller working. For some reason the right stick on my controller only looks up and down not left and right in eduke32. So I've tried messing with xpadder, which makes it work, but doesn't feel great. Messing with dead zones, sensitivity both there and in-game etc. I like how steam lets you mess with stuff like what curve or percentage of the stick moves it what percent etc and stuff like that, which I've messed with for games like Half-Life.

That all said, my question or mod idea while niche could be handy. Could call it "Sloppy Duke" or something. For the Duke who just can't aim, but wants to rock.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 13 April 2020 - 10:39 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

PsychoGoatee, on 31 March 2020 - 05:15 PM, said:

Ah, right on. The horizontal auto-aim for Duke is on by default if set to "always" I figure? I'd heard Doom has it, sounds like it's pretty subtle. The zdoom guy on their forum said "But even so, it just fires 3 traces and takes the first one that hits." in a topic about disabling it for zDoom. Thanks for the info folks.

In Duke 3D, the horizontal auto-aiming is limited to an area of 48 units (8.4 degrees).

The vertical auto-aiming is true when the z distance is less than the x/y distance. That's close to 90 degrees, but not very precise due to how it calculates the distances.

I'm not sure what they mean by Doom firing 3 traces. Doesn't the game does a loop, and check which enemies are closest to the player? At least the BFG traces appear to work independently, but I could be wrong.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options