Duke4.net Forums: Completing Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project 100% - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Completing Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project 100%

User is offline   Rekinok 

I got back after years to "Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project" and wanted to get it 100% completed. I already beat the final boss, got all Nukes, found all secrets and kill every enemy on all three difficulty levels (weird that doing this just on Hard isn't enough to earn every badge, but I guess that was the design choice). I also defeated Wozma on Hard difficulty. I know there is one icon more on the right side, under the text in the save, given for using cheat codes, but I specifically don't want it there. Are there any more icons or badges to get? And if so, how to get them? From what I can see there is a space for one more icon on each difficulty level, but I was unable to find what could it be for.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: DN.png

User is offline   FistMarine 

Congratulations for beating the game 100%! I personally never managed to beat it 100%, although I beat the game on all 3 difficulty levels when I was a kid and I got all nukes (more than 241 actually) because of a glitch that made the blue laser (that spawns a robot enemy that drops nuke, in Orbital Oblivion Part 3) to reappear upon loading the save, so what I did was activate the blue lasers, kill the spawned robots, save, then load and that way I could get more nukes collected to make up for those I missed in some parts of the game as I was never able to find all secrets and nukes in all parts and chapters, I had most levels done with all 10 nukes collected (and 11 in last part of the game, as far as I remember and judging from screenshot having 241 nukes instead of 240) but I was always lacking 1-2 nukes on some parts in chapters 4-7, which is why I did that glitch (although in a later playthrough). I don't remember all the details as I haven't played the game since back in 2007-2008 and sadly I don't have it anymore. :lol:

I also remember the game having some weird glitches that occurred in Chapter 8 Part 2 where some forcefields are reappearing in visited labs after being disabled and some forcefields not disappearing in next labs despite getting notification that next lab is open so you get stuck and require REPLAYING the level and the worst glitch was falling in space upon entering a previously visited level (usually after you already cleared it, I think it happened in lab 2, I also remember getting out of level myself by jumping to the right at the gate from beginning).

So anyways if you are wondering, my copy of game was original DVD copy that I got as birthday present (or Christmas present) but I think it was the initial 1.00 version which not only explains those issues mentioned earlier but also why I was missing some enemies and secrets in some levels, as I read a few years ago about patch 1.01 fixing most/all these issues mentioned.

I don't know if I got officially all kills but I remember using a trick to try to kill some off camera insects in some levels by putting a lot of pipebombs in same place (max was 8 pipebombs) because otherwise you couldn't get all kills in that level, it may have worked in at least one or two levels I tried. I think I even saw someone doing that trick on a YouTube video in past few years when I was watching random Duke Nukem videos.

Another trick I found by myself (though a bit unrelated to the topic) was throwing 8 pipebombs before your weapons get taken away in Chapter 8 Part 1, so you have a bit of an advantage until you get your weapons back.

As for cheats, speaking of which, on last playthrough from 2007-2008, I remember seeing cheat codes on my manual and decided to try some of them but the game was already easy enough and I decided to only cheat with all weapons at start of game and right before the final boss area, I typed "give secret" in console to get the remaining secrets I needed ( ;) ), maybe this is how I got the secrets icon (assuming I ever got it, along with the kills icon, not sure about these two but as said above I definitely remember getting the icons upon completing the game on all 3 difficulties and the nukes icon from that glitch with respawning enemies).

As for badges, I don't remember the cheats badge and how it looked, however I definitely remember the 3 main rewards (Stronger Kick, Half Damage and X-3000 weapon) and their badges but sadly I never found WOZMA secret boss, I wish I did because I would have been blown away!
I remember I found its existence first time back in 2010 when I saw a Duke Nukem Manhattan Project video on YouTube and after reading the description, I was shocked that this wasn't found earlier (apparently it wasn't a well known secret), I wonder how well I would have done against it, as the impression I got from that video is that it has a shit ton of health and takes forever to kill it but at least you have infinite ammo during that fight.

I hope one day I will return to this game after buying another copy (I will see in next couple of months, I'm looking for a physical copy on eBay at a good price at least in Very Good condition and I'm not finding one I want, in past months I have seen some cheap ones but sadly I didn't get) and try to complete it 100% properly.

To answer to your question, no I don't know of any extra badges existing and if you would like to get the cheating one without affecting your main save, I recommend making a backup of your save game and keep it safe (as that save game you have is very nice to have as a trophy) and then have separate one with cheat badge (hope you don't mind this suggestion).

I have one question though: What version of the game you have? 1.00 or 1.01? And is it original CD/DVD copy or digital copy from GOG/Steam? Just curious because since you were able to get 100%, it should be the updated version 1.01 but I'm still curious about the game itself, because if you have digital it may have came already patched or maybe an exclusive patch to the digital version. Thanks!

View PostRunningDuke, on 27 March 2020 - 09:01 AM, said:

I have one question though: What version of the game you have? 1.00 or 1.01? And is it original CD/DVD copy or digital copy from GOG/Steam? Just curious because since you were able to get 100%, it should be the updated version 1.01 but I'm still curious about the game itself, because if you have digital it may have came already patched or maybe an exclusive patch to the digital version. Thanks!

I have a version with the Patch1.0.1 and it's a Steam copy. Even though it's patched it still has some issues, mainly sometimes the number of killed enemies shown at the end of the level is different than the one added to your save file and you can't double jump unless you switch your graphics driver to OpenGL. But, in the end, I'm just glad that the game works on Windows 10 and none of the achievements are blocked.

Thanks for clearing it out for me, I was getting a bit anxious thinking that I must have missed something and there are more badges to find.

Originally when I played it, I had a DVD copy from a magazine about video games, but I lost it years ago. I didn't finish it back then, but I remember replaying the first three stages a lot. It felt nice to bring back some of those memories.

User is offline   TC MDan 

Hi, there. Wait, are there achievements on Steam? Hmm, I don't seem to see them, or perhaps there is more than one version of the game on Steam.

Congrats on finishing it 100%. I think i completed it but with cheats when younger, too. Do you get the blue tank shirt after finishing the game in any difficulty?

Also, blue tank Duke reminds me of S.W.A.T. Duke action figure, hehe

This post has been edited by TC MDan: 28 March 2020 - 01:52 AM

View PostTC MDan, on 28 March 2020 - 01:49 AM, said:

Hi, there. Wait, are there achievements on Steam? Hmm, I don't seem to see them, or perhaps there is more than one version of the game on Steam.

There are no Steam achievements in this game, no. That's just what I call the icons that appear on the save file.

View PostTC MDan, on 28 March 2020 - 01:49 AM, said:

Do you get the blue tank shirt after finishing the game in any difficulty?

Yes, you get it after finding all Nukes on all levels on Normal difficulty. Comes with getting half the damage than you would in the red shirt.

User is offline   TC MDan 

Nice.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options