Duke4.net Forums: re: a save problem in Duke Nukem Manhattan Project - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

re: a save problem in Duke Nukem Manhattan Project

User is offline   reble11 

I have Duke Nukem Manhattan Project installed on my Dell Inspiron 15-3541 laptop, OS Win 10 Home Pro 32 bit. I completed Episode 1, part 1. I started Episode 1, part 2 then I hit save so I could take up where I left off. When I hit the load saved game, the game took me back to the "start" Episode 1, part 1. Why? Am I doing something wrong in saving where I left off?

Steve

User is offline   Player Lin 

View Postreble11, on 28 January 2020 - 12:08 AM, said:

I have Duke Nukem Manhattan Project installed on my Dell Inspiron 15-3541 laptop, OS Win 10 Home Pro 32 bit. I completed Episode 1, part 1. I started Episode 1, part 2 then I hit save so I could take up where I left off. When I hit the load saved game, the game took me back to the "start" Episode 1, part 1. Why? Am I doing something wrong in saving where I left off?

Steve

1.Try running DNMP exe file with Windows 98 or XP compatibility level.

2.Avoid put your (any of older) games on "X:\Program Files\" or "X:\Program Files(x86)\", where X is the drive latter of your Windows installation. Since this game was very old so it may not a good idea to do so, as it may still try to write your savegame on %your DNMP installation%\base\save\ directory but Windows won't let it do so. Try install the game directory on something like C:\DNMP\ or other drives or everywhere else beside the Program Files shit.
(I know Windows would try put the save files on other directory if the program try to write something on Program Files directory but for some old programs is may not working and just failed to save the files so you lost your savegame so I never put old games on THAT directory unless I know its savegames/settings will write to other place, even that I still strongly recommend do not use Program Files directory for your games)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 28 January 2020 - 05:45 AM

I have the game saved at C:\games\DN manhattan project . I have all my MSDOS games that run on the Dosbox emulator under C:\games\dgames then in the games individual dir's. I am going to try and run DNMP under the XP compatibility mode and see what happens. Question. In DNMP where is the default game save file dumped to if nothing is changed during install as far as where the files are installed to?

View PostPlayer Lin, on 28 January 2020 - 05:40 AM, said:

1.Try running DNMP exe file with Windows 98 or XP compatibility level.

2.Avoid put your (any of older) games on "X:\Program Files\" or "X:\Program Files(x86)\", where X is the drive latter of your Windows installation. Since this game was very old so it may not a good idea to do so, as it may still try to write your savegame on %your DNMP installation%\base\save\ directory but Windows won't let it do so. Try install the game directory on something like C:\DNMP\ or other drives or everywhere else beside the Program Files shit.
(I know Windows would try put the save files on other directory if the program try to write something on Program Files directory but for some old programs is may not working and just failed to save the files so you lost your savegame so I never put old games on THAT directory unless I know its savegames/settings will write to other place, even that I still strongly recommend do not use Program Files directory for your games)

Well the problem is solved, I don't know how or why. But when I went to save from the menu via hitting the Esc button then save from the menu, the game isn't asking for a file name 1st. When I save via the quick save (F5) then the game asks fore a file name then saves. Then the load the game from the menu picks up from the saved point.

BTW I didn't have to run the test in the XP compatibility mode. Also when I run the game on my Sony laptop OS Win 7 Home 32 bit. The game will ask for the file name to be typed in from the save button in the main menu.

Steve

User is offline   Player Lin 

View Postreble11, on 28 January 2020 - 10:36 PM, said:

Well the problem is solved, I don't know how or why. But when I went to save from the menu via hitting the Esc button then save from the menu, the game isn't asking for a file name 1st. When I save via the quick save (F5) then the game asks fore a file name then saves. Then the load the game from the menu picks up from the saved point.

BTW I didn't have to run the test in the XP compatibility mode. Also when I run the game on my Sony laptop OS Win 7 Home 32 bit. The game will ask for the file name to be typed in from the save button in the main menu.

Steve

Well, considering this game was from 2002 so weird thing on modern Windows may happens.

Make sure the game did ask you about the name of your savegame, it should be happens when saving the game on new game I think.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options