Duke4.net Forums: Come Get Some Mod for Half-life 2 - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Come Get Some Mod for Half-life 2

View Postfuegerstef, on Jul 13 2009, 07:29 PM, said:

Which shows that thinking is not really one of your true strengths.

Tumbleweed

User is offline   peoplessi 

• Honored Donor

I apologize Timian, if you have changed the name at don't aim to copy-cat Duke Nukem 3D - then I have been wrong. As for Sangman & Captain Awesome, you two have double standards with your replies.

Captain Awesome - "The most constructive thing I can offer is that this guy either gives up or actually learns to use Source. His logo has basic photoshop filters."
Sangman - "Very sorry, your opinion is still not important."
Captain Awesome - "Not I, this mod just sucks. Piano Man is just a troll and he'll probably get banned."
Sangman - "Oh relax, genius. Of course I realize this mod wants to mimic Duke Nukem to a large extent. But mimicking to an extent is not the same as being the same as the original. Therefore the voice does not need to be exactly the same as the original either."

More can be read in this very thread. Going ad hominem is silly(see below). That basically shows the level of discussion we are having here.

View Postfuegerstef, on Jul 13 2009, 09:29 PM, said:

Which shows that thinking is not really one of your true strengths.

You work or worked on MODs or even in the professional gaming industry and know how creative stuff in both areas work? Probably not!

How does these two things correlate? Have you worked in professional gaming industry? What, there is no sense in your post to be frank.

This post has been edited by peoplessi: 14 July 2009 - 12:54 PM

User is offline   Sangman 

I'm sorry if my "ad hominem" attacks bothered you, sometimes I just kinda feel like being a dick but yeah you weren't really deserving of such a treatment ;)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I don't really see how my posts are a double standard.

User is offline   ---- 

View Postpeoplessi, on Jul 14 2009, 01:35 PM, said:

How does these two things correlate? Have you worked in professional gaming industry?

They do correlate.

I still do, btw, that'S why I know how similar mods and profesionnal developing can be.

Yeah, minus the whole stress, deadline, money, making an entire game from scratch and big consequences of not being succesful part they are pretty similar..

User is offline   ---- 

View PostSangman, on Jul 16 2009, 04:29 AM, said:

Yeah, minus the whole stress, deadline, money, making an entire game from scratch and big consequences of not being succesful part they are pretty similar..

We were talking about content-creation and inspiration ;)

Even so, modmakers don't usually have deadlines or creative/artistical restrictions enforced by a certain publisher.

Both modmakers and professional gaming industry fellows create content for games, sure, but apart from that I don't reckon the development processes are very similar at all. The end results could be, but that's something entirely different.

User is offline   peoplessi 

• Honored Donor

View Postfuegerstef, on Jul 16 2009, 08:46 AM, said:

They do correlate.

I still do, btw, that'S why I know how similar mods and profesionnal developing can be.

How do you know that? Of course there are similarities, but professional environment is totally different.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostSangman, on Jul 16 2009, 07:57 AM, said:

Even so, modmakers don't usually have deadlines or creative/artistical restrictions enforced by a certain publisher.

Both modmakers and professional gaming industry fellows create content for games, sure, but apart from that I don't reckon the development processes are very similar at all. The end results could be, but that's something entirely different.

Concept stages are very similar.

If the developer is still free to think of what they wish (if it's their first game or something) then sure. I doubt Infinity Ward or Treyarch have as much freedom in thinking of concepts, though.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostSangman, on Jul 17 2009, 04:09 AM, said:

If the developer is still free to think of what they wish (if it's their first game or something) then sure. I doubt Infinity Ward or Treyarch have as much freedom in thinking of concepts, though.

THat's why you get one uninspired, uninnovative, boring, bland shooter after the other from them. And that's why they are successful. The masses likes uninspired, simple, dumbed down games as much as they do like uninspired, simple music, films and books. :blink:

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 18 July 2009 - 10:01 PM

Yeaaah perhaps but that's not what this was about.

User is offline   leilei 

Publisher: Make new sequel to our successful game for the lowest common denominator. YOU GOT 1 YEAR!
DEVELOPER: OKAY time to crunch! MONEYS!!

--

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options