Duke4.net Forums: Come Get Some Mod for Half-life 2 - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Come Get Some Mod for Half-life 2

User is offline   Timian 

Hello everyone,

I am new to these forums, although i have read some stuff while updating my knowlege on Duke Forever.

By the looks of things, we're not gonna see it for a while if at all.

Therefore, i have revived a mod I worked on a while back for the source engine.

It is called "Come Get Some". It is loosely based on the Duke Nukem character, but by no means will have "DUKE NUKEM" in it.
It will have similar scenarios as seen in Duke Nukem 3D and what we have seen so far for Duke Forever.

Reason for informing you all of this, is to find some volunteers to help out with the mod.

I currently am looking for modellers and animators who can make models of guns, characters, monsters and props who are also capable of porting
into HL2.

Please visit www.comegetsomemod.webs.com for some early screenshots.

Kind regards,

Timian.

User is offline   ryche 

3DR will shut this down man. Can't port jack of their's to anything...even their own games.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View Postryche, on Jun 15 2009, 07:34 PM, said:

3DR will shut this down man. Can't port jack of their's to anything...even their own games.

No, it's obvious that the guy is aware of the copyright laws....notice he said it will be "loosely" based on Duke.

Just like Duke was "loosely" based on Evil Dead and the Terminator etc.

Just because a game/movie/book is vaguely derivative of another, it doesn't have to mean there is any theft involved.

Paying homage to something or satirizing does not equal plagiarism.

To the OP- I think I communicated with you via e-mail years ago. Were you known as "timophey" on the hlworld forums?

If so, I remember you had a similar mod(with the same title) in production back in 2005ish. I assumed the mod was long dead, but it's great to see you're back and alive.

Did you simply start working again after a super long hiatus? Or did you completely start over recently?

The shots you posted on hlworld were pretty amazing. The new stuff looks neat, too.

Well whatever the case may be, I sincerely hope that you actually release something this time......I've had just about all the Duke-related disappointment one can take for a lifetime. Seriously. :)

Good luck, and I can't wait to see more!

User is offline   Babe 

Anything based on Duke wil be bluntly shut down by 3DR. Remember George when it comes to Duke is very overly protective.

User is offline   Timian 

I am not planning on porting anything from duke3d. I am not even considering remaking any levels. I am simply doing an "homage" if you will.

And yes "Duke Rocks", it is me. I have reccently just restarted the whole thing after a huge break due to work/studies and the like.
Are you still making stuff for hl2? Mind giving me a hand? hehe

thanks so far..

User is offline   Timian 

View PostBabe, on Jun 15 2009, 09:09 PM, said:

Anything based on Duke wil be bluntly shut down by 3DR. Remember George when it comes to Duke is very overly protective.

Oh, what's George gonna threaten me with? A handful of poker chips? An empty Duke Forever DVD case perhaps?
Either way, they can't shut down this mod, for many reasons. Mainly because they owe the third party community the right to make something along these lines. Especially now, after their notorious flop/scandal/conspiracy/publicity stunt/missinformation/i dont know why or what...

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostTimian, on Jun 15 2009, 10:11 PM, said:

Oh, what's George gonna threaten me with? A handful of poker chips? An empty Duke Forever DVD case perhaps?
Either way, they can't shut down this mod, for many reasons. Mainly because they owe the third party community the right to make something along these lines. Especially now, after their notorious flop/scandal/conspiracy/publicity stunt/missinformation/i dont know why or what...

Law suit. They don't "owe" us anything legally. You have no legal footing to stand on here. If you proceed with this you are liable to waste your time. I know what im talking about.

You can take whatever kinds of precautions you want, but game modifcation in regards to anything like Duke is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN. 3D Realms are very protective of Duke.

Just because you feel betrayed or whatever, that doesnt give you any special rights. Believe me, as someone who thought I wasnt doing ANYTHING wrong when I was working on DukeHL, I KNOW. Don't go down the road at all, create your own character. Game mods do not have the protection of other mediums when it comes to copyright. If you were doing something like Fan Fiction or an animation, or something along those line the story would be entirely different.

User is offline   Timian 

Ok Commando Nukem, I see you have a point there.

Big respect by the way; how was that incident anyway?

The thing is, the is no mention of Duke in this mod. The mod will simply have a similar "duke feel" to it. By this I mean: imersed interactivity, urban/country landscapes, aliens/monsters/mutants, silly people and strippers. No mention of "Duke Nukem" or anything like that. I will be updating the website soon with concepts for characters, weapons and levels.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostTimian, on Jun 15 2009, 08:44 PM, said:

And yes "Duke Rocks", it is me. I have reccently just restarted the whole thing after a huge break due to work/studies and the like.
Are you still making stuff for hl2? Mind giving me a hand? hehe

thanks so far..

Sorry, but I never made stuff for HL2!! You must be confusing me for someone else. If I did know Source, I'd apply in a second if I myself weren't busy with my studies and whatnot.

There's a good few around here and the 3DR forums who might be very happy to volunteer.

I'd also ask around on other mod-recruitment websites. There's bound to be at least a few Duke fans hanging around....

View PostTimian, on Jun 15 2009, 09:11 PM, said:

hahahaha!!!! lol! Funny, because that's pretty much all GB is sitting on right now..... :)

View PostTimian, on Jun 15 2009, 09:49 PM, said:

The thing is, the is no mention of Duke in this mod. The mod will simply have a similar "duke feel" to it. By this I mean: imersed interactivity, urban/country landscapes, aliens/monsters/mutants, silly people and strippers. No mention of "Duke Nukem" or anything like that. I will be updating the website soon with concepts for characters, weapons and levels.

If what you say is true, I don't think you have anything to worry about, legality-wise.

Can't wait to see the new stuff!! :D

User is offline   leilei 

Don't bother clearing up the confusion. "Come Get Some" will just incite Duke Nukem in most player's heads like "Shazbot" does for Tribes (rather than Mork & Mindy) no matter how non-Duke your mod is.

I one time led a project called Dave3D to make an 100% independent, non-dukey compatible GRP file. Guess what all the accusations were of? YOU CANT REMAKE DUKE!!! NO NUKEM 4 U!!! even though I wasn't! heh. It ultimately hit the can even though I was being clear it wasn't based off non-GPL 3DR IP. Even for my super anime far-different SW-src-based departure "Ling" where you play a female chinese warrior without any lame sexual humor... got the axe. With Dave3D it was more going to be a parody of corny '94 era games rather than being badassed. Think of Capstone Games. Dave wore jeans only due to the fact every hero in a Build game must wear blue pants, but he had slacks for shoes to kick with.

If I can't do it involving their source then i'll just go next gen (from using BUILD that is).

Pick apart Duke3D. What makes it "Duke"?

- Womanizer hero
- Shrink gun
- Mirrors, and using them to compliment yourself
- Freeze gun
- Holographic self-image projectors
- Big explosion of a nuclear blast for everything exploding
- Tripmine traps
- Remote detonating explosives
- gib jib quotes
- Urban environments
- Trash cans that can explode, buildings exploding
- Compulsively cracking knuckles with impatience
- etc. etc.

Did they patent any of these design ideas? They didn't. If they did, the GPLed source code for the game wouldn't have even happened. But I do suggest the changing of the title from "Come Get Some" to something unrecognizable of the Duke3D IP or even Bruce Campbell's ego. You're kinda treading on a thin grey line there.

This post has been edited by leilei: 15 June 2009 - 10:52 PM

User is offline   Raziel 

Might I suggest using Quake 3's or 2's engine instead? Q2 is simpler than Q3 to get your head around, but it's up to you. This allows you to make it a standalone release rather than relying on something like HalfLife 2. It also allows you to alter the source code to add new features if you want them.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

View Postleilei, on Jun 16 2009, 08:29 AM, said:

I one time led a project called Dave3D to make an 100% independent, non-dukey compatible GRP file. Guess what all the accusations were of? YOU CANT REMAKE DUKE!!! NO NUKEM 4 U!!! even though I wasn't! heh. It ultimately hit the can even though I was being clear it wasn't based off non-GPL 3DR IP. Even for my super anime far-different SW-src-based departure "Ling" where you play a female chinese warrior without any lame sexual humor... got the axe.

Why did you end up cancelling it anyway? You can do whatever you want with GPL/BUILDLIC source code as long as you're not redistributing assets that you don't own or assets that convey intellectual property that you don't own, and you weren't doing any of this. Did you get an official response from 3DR stating that they would C&D you if you kept going? And I don't mean Joe Siegler saying "No, this isn't allowed." to everything without even looking at what it actually is and/or having the authority to do so. Besides, he's not with 3DR anymore. Did George or Scott explicitely tell you to can it? If so, I'm very interested about what they said.
I personally think you should keep going. BUILD is obviously the more logical choice to get the same feeling. And they need to understand that releasing something under the GPL isn't just for doing ports. :)

User is online   Sangman 

You say you're only loosely basing it on Duke, yet this area

Posted Image

Looks might similar. It looks like you have an adult book/movie store in there as well and I guess that's the backroom of it. In here you didn't just loosely base it on Duke, you stole the entire concept of the adult store in E1L2.

Apart from that yeah I can see why you need modellers and texture artists. To be fair it looks more like a HL1 mod than an HL2 mod.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View Postleilei, on Jun 16 2009, 02:29 AM, said:

Dave wore jeans only due to the fact every hero in a Build game must wear blue pants, but he had slacks for shoes to kick with.

He didn't look like this, did he? Haha! :)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3rHd3DYQn64

User is offline   SpitFire 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on Jun 16 2009, 10:01 PM, said:

He didn't look like this, did he? Haha! :)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3rHd3DYQn64

This video makes me lol. The way he says "I'll rip yeh head off n' shit down yeh neck" is hilarious.

Anyways, go ahead with the mod, if they say stop, then stop. Same principles as feelin' up a beautiful dame.

This post has been edited by SpitFire: 16 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostSpitFire, on Jun 17 2009, 01:24 AM, said:

This video makes me lol. The way he says "I'll rip yeh head off n' shit down yeh neck" is hilarious.

Anyways, go ahead with the mod, if they say stop, then stop. Same principles as feelin' up a beautiful dame.

Yeah, me too! :) Wait until you see the full-length Dave Nukem Movie I could possibly be making soon!

Agreed! Go for it, leilei! Be sure to base your Dave character off of my Dave Nukem if you want! LOL, J/K! That would be cool, though! I could get Dave to do all of the voice work for your mod! :D

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 16 June 2009 - 10:15 PM

User is offline   SpitFire 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on Jun 17 2009, 02:14 AM, said:

I could get Dave to do all of the voice work for your mod! ;)

Them aliens stole his beer for the last time.

User is offline   ThePinkus 

I'll help out with the level design

I love working in Hammer

User is offline   Timian 

View PostThePinkus, on Jun 17 2009, 04:09 PM, said:

I'll help out with the level design

I love working in Hammer

good to hear.

email me at ce.timophey@gmail.com with some pics / special skills in hammer.

Im working on a video, will upload to website soon and post a link. It should hopefully clear up the commotion about what this mod is.

This post has been edited by Timian: 17 June 2009 - 06:44 PM

Timian: you better change the title of the mod, since "Come get some" is a registered trademark by 3DRealms (look for it on USPTO).

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Well I have to say this is by far the worst looking Source mod I have seen. To have it based on the Duke Nukem franchise, even loosely, is making the screws tighten in my brains.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Kinda looks more like a cartoon. Why are his hands so shiny? Did you just change the skin from the HEV hands to that?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

This sucks.

User is offline   peoplessi 

• Honored Donor

Not to mention the rip-off "egometer"... I'm sorry, but this looks subpar and riding on the "Come Get Some" is too much.

User is offline   leilei 

You expected it to be perfect, complete and finished since it revived on June 16? Wow, fussy. Everyone's got to start somewhere.

User is offline   zwieback 

good luck. ;)
see you in 2 years.

User is offline   peoplessi 

• Honored Donor

View Postleilei, on Jun 21 2009, 08:39 AM, said:

You expected it to be perfect, complete and finished since it revived on June 16? Wow, fussy. Everyone's got to start somewhere.

Non-issue here.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postleilei, on Jun 21 2009, 01:39 AM, said:

Don't post SHIT unless you expect to be told it's shit. Simple as that. Everytime some moron starts a shitty mod we shouldn't cater to them every time they have a brainfart and decide it's time to post a terrible screenshot.

User is offline   Delekhan 

View Postleilei, on Jun 20 2009, 09:39 PM, said:

I don't expect it I demand it!

User is offline   zwieback 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Jun 21 2009, 10:28 AM, said:

Don't post SHIT unless you expect to be told it's shit. Simple as that. Everytime some moron starts a shitty mod we shouldn't cater to them every time they have a brainfart and decide it's time to post a terrible screenshot.

;) ;) :P ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

anyway, i just wish him luck and that the outcome will be great ;)

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options