Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Total Meltdown preview prototype - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Total Meltdown preview prototype

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostPhredreeke, on 21 January 2020 - 04:41 PM, said:

Do any PS1 emulators have the ability to use more than the default 2 MB RAM?

I have looked, I haven't seen any option to increase the limit

Of course it's possible they didn't put any limit to begin with...

User is offline   nukemania 

So, yeah while it's not known if the emulators keep the 2 MB RAM limit, at least that ended up not being the cause of the prototype not working. That was due to something related to the game booting up.

We will put up an announcement on Friday for what we have planned as far as the release is concerned. It's going to be updated.

Alright. Some are wondering about the release of this prototype. As you (may not) know, prototypes end up being really expensive to buy. Save for luck, there's no easy way of acquiring them nowadays. This disc was no exception to acquire, in fact it was pricier than prototypes usually go for. So here's our plan for the release.

We do want to get this disc out there, but making back some of the cost of purchase goes a long way. We're looking to get a very reasonable $5,500 to help cover the release. Once the goal is reached, the download will become available. We've got the donation page set up with cool details about the prototype. The link is below.

Even if you're not going to donate, there's still plenty of reason for you to check out the link because it's got a lot of cool images and footage not shown in this thread. If you think this is ludicrous, just check out the link you're guaranteed to at least find the info and/or the footage great and hopefully that will hold you over until the goal is met.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/duke-nukem-tmd-prototype

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

We'll release the betas, but first, we'll need a small loan of a million dollars... :rolleyes:

User is offline   Fox 

I donated $5,000 from the VoidPoint BETA preservation fund.

User is offline   Fox 

Of the new maps, Trackside Tragedy is very different from the final version

The new enemies are not there yet, so we got Pig Cops instead of the new pigs, etc.

Trackside Tragedy is filled with Recon cars, obviously a placeholder for this enemy:

Posted Image

Even if they couldn't make the new enemy work, it's a real shame they removed the Recon cars, the map was clearly designed to fight them.

I read some article that the game would have pigs dressed like Lara Croft and with the Reservoir Dogs suits. Since the enemies were placeholders, I'm guessing they couldn't make them in time and the Pig-in-a-Dress was just put in Nightmare Zone. I'm just guessing, but the Pig-in-a-Dress must have been intended to serve as waitresses in the café from Pulp Fiction. The pigs in a suit would also fit Alien Rendezvous, which would have made the X-Files reference more clear.

https://imgur.com/a/smMyG7I

2 particular issues that were found and we're looking to get more information:

-The track Nick's Bass Is Old seems corrupted. It plays on E2L11 (same as retail), as well as E4L6-L9. It just keeps repeating the starting second or so of the tune.

-E4L3 Gates Motel, the doors to the room with the blue card remain locked and I can't find the trigger to unlock them, if any. In the retail, IINM they unlock by going through the hedge maze.

This post has been edited by nukemania: 24 January 2020 - 10:34 PM

User is offline   Fox 

Actually they unlock along with the library door, the maze is unnecessary to complete the map

That trigger is broken in this prototype, it looks like. The room doors stay shut and this blocks progress in the map

View PostFox, on 24 January 2020 - 10:18 PM, said:

The new enemies are not there yet, so we got Pig Cops instead of the new pigs, etc.

Am I mistaken, or is the Assault General in this version just with regular Trooper sprites? It seemed like the enemy took 2 shotgun blasts to kill

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

This is great news! :rolleyes: Thanks for delivering.

I was able to rip the CON files using my tool. I'll post an update to it very soon. I haven't analyzed them deeply but a cursory look shows that at this point they still contain stuff from The Birth such as NEWBEAST and BOSS4.

User is offline   Fox 

View Postnukemania, on 25 January 2020 - 10:21 AM, said:

Am I mistaken, or is the Assault General in this version just with regular Trooper sprites? It seemed like the enemy took 2 shotgun blasts to kill

As you said, they take 2 shotgun shots to kill. It's just that palettes do not work (and they made trooper sprites green).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Level select game shark for anyone who wants to jump around

300B5AC8 000X (Episode number, with values 0-3 corresponding to E1-4)
300B5AC4 000X (Level number, 0-A corresponding to L1-11 except for E1 that only has 8 maps).

User is offline   Fox 

DUKE256.TGA uncompressed:

Posted Image

User is offline   jet_nick 

View PostFox, on 24 January 2020 - 10:18 PM, said:

Of the new maps, Trackside Tragedy is very different from the final version

Trackside Tragedy is filled with Recon cars, obviously a placeholder for this enemy:

Posted Image

Even if they couldn't make the new enemy work, it's a real shame they removed the Recon cars, the map was clearly designed to fight them.

I read some article that the game would have pigs dressed like Lara Croft and with the Reservoir Dogs suits. Since the enemies were placeholders, I'm guessing they couldn't make them in time and the Pig-in-a-Dress was just put in Nightmare Zone. I'm just guessing, but the Pig-in-a-Dress must have been intended to serve as waitresses in the café from Pulp Fiction. The pigs in a suit would also fit Alien Rendezvous, which would have made the X-Files reference more clear.

https://imgur.com/a/smMyG7I

where can we find these articles?

User is offline   Fox 

This is the article that mentions the Pig Cops dressed with suits:

https://www.ign.com/...8/27/pulp-nukem

I have to find the one mentioning Pig Cops dressed like Lara Croft

View PostFox, on 27 January 2020 - 06:17 AM, said:

This is the article that mentions the Pig Cops dressed with suits:

https://www.ign.com/...8/27/pulp-nukem

I have to find the one mentioning Pig Cops dressed like Lara Croft

in the past I had imagined something like this, it would take small changes to improve this sprites sheet and maybe make a small mod

Posted Image

does Trackside Tragedy was a secret level?

User is offline   Fox 

View Postjet_nick, on 27 January 2020 - 03:32 PM, said:

does Trackside Tragedy was a secret level?

Not in the final version or prototype.

User is offline   Fox 

The labyrinth in Gates Motel is a bit different:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had no problem progressing after the library, but the switch next to the yellow keycard doesn't unlocks the door with blue keycard, making it impossible to complete the level.

At least this may explain why the area with the yellow access is not needed in the final version, the author planned to have the switch there, but forgot what his idea was.

This is where the switch is in the final version:

Posted Image

But it would make more sense if this switch without any tag did it:

Posted Image

There are also these unused RESPAWNs near the door with blue keycard:

Posted Image

Are there any differences in the inaccessible areas of Gates Motel in this prototype?

I noticed the area you fall into, at the end with the fake exit, there's no door leading to the hallway where the real exit can be reached (seen from the underwater area below the toilet).

This post has been edited by nukemania: 28 January 2020 - 09:51 AM

User is offline   Fox 

I couldn't get past that point, so I have no idea.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I've uploaded a new version of my CON bytecode decompiler, including the CONs from the proto, named SLUS_12345*. https://forums.duke4.net/topic/9922-/

They are close to vanilla 1.5 with only a few changes, such as the pal 16 LIZTROOP type, and shortening the Octabrain death animation.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options