Duke4.net Forums: The Wild Ride, T. Ray Isaac's story - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Wild Ride, T. Ray Isaac's story

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostKareBear, on Jan 16 2010, 01:17 AM, said:

The substantial leaks like the polt,high res screenshots,and footage were not leaked on purpose zchri9 found them.One the employees even asked this site to remove his leaked material.

Yes, I'm aware of that. That makes me even more suspicious. Still, it doesn't make much difference. They let it get out then they turn around and say they don't want it getting out. They had to have been briefed by George or Scott telling them not to let anything get out because of the lawsuit, but I don't see that being the case. It looks more like they were briefed and given the green-light to let some stuff out for whatever the agenda was/is. Hell, T. Ray was the one to first open the media floodgates. His media leakage was very substantial IMO.

I just don't want to fall for this hoax if it is a hoax. Better safe than sorry. If I was any person out there in the Duke community, I wouldn't opt into believing the official story to be true, nor believe it is a hoax. I would sit tight and stay tuned as I am doing. If they did take the time to plan out a publicity stunt with Take2, then they also had plenty of time to sculpt out their propaganda to release to the public to debunk the truth. Just remember, there has been no trial. There is just some documents/papers filed. A piece of paper is just a piece of paper. That stuff can be thrown-out at any moment if Take2 decides to. No big deal. When I see a trial happen, then I will know for sure. ;)

T.ray at the time said Take2 ordered to stop on the materials being released. Honestly, I doubt George or Scott would have liked the media coming out that way and it would be a disappointment.

View PostBenjamin Foley, on Jan 16 2010, 02:46 AM, said:

Honestly, I doubt George or Scott would have liked the media coming out that way and it would be a disappointment.

Precisely, I agree. That just raises even more suspicion. Come on, T. Ray was/is the top art guy at 3D Realms. Surely, he knew better than to leak stuff while a lawsuit was going on. Same goes for everyone else who let media get out.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

They were not 'leaking media', they were posting media to help them get a new job. That's what a portfolio is for, to show a potential employer their skills.
It was necessary to show media from Duke Nukem Forever to help them get employed. They couldn't just tell an employer that they had the ability and were proficient at doing something without showing examples of what they can do.

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on Jan 16 2010, 05:12 AM, said:

"They respected DNF enough to leave it with pride."

Really? Leaking the plot, screenshots and footage directly after the company gets sued is leaving it with pride? LMFAO! Whether the lawsuit is to be a hoax or not, one thing is certain. They were definitely ordered to leak that stuff by George or Scott, whatever the motive may have been for doing so. If the lawsuit is seriously the "real deal", then leaking all of that stuff must have been an attempt to spoil the game and make it less likely for Take2 to try to take it from them. But, if this turns out to be the biggest hoax in gaming history, then, well, you know why they leaked it. ;)

man this is really getting strange. I agree with your conclusion. WTF they leaked the whole plot and he says "they respected DNF enough to leave it with pride"....

WTF is going on here guys?!

:P

User is offline   peoplessi 

• Honored Donor

NUKEMDAVE, things don't come true just because you believe in them. Even hinting that the lawsuit isn't real is beyond absurd.

View Postpeoplessi, on Jan 19 2010, 06:01 PM, said:

NUKEMDAVE, things don't come true just because you believe in them. Even hinting that the lawsuit isn't real is beyond absurd.

The lawsuit is very real. ;)

But, if you analyze all the news and data we've got so far, you will find things that doesn't seem right. That leaking of the plot is one of the biggest things that can be pointed out. I can't see a former employee letting something like that out unless they were asked to do so. Employees have come and gone over the years and nothing like this has ever happened. Maybe it has, correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, all I'm saying really is that there's a high chance of that plot being leaked intentionally for whatever reason. No, it doesn't confirm the lawsuit is fake.

View PostJobi-Wan Kenobi, on Jan 16 2010, 11:19 AM, said:

man this is really getting strange. I agree with your conclusion. WTF they leaked the whole plot and he says "they respected DNF enough to leave it with pride"....

WTF is going on here guys?!

;)

The plot leak was a mistake.

User is offline   Green 

The Ride Continues!!
http://talkinrealatyou.blogspot.com/2010/0...-continues.html

Blog post about the continued development of Duke Nukem Forever
http://talkinrealatyou.blogspot.com/2010/0...wake-freak.html

This post has been edited by Mr. Green: 04 September 2010 - 03:01 PM

User is offline   Psyrgery 

View PostMr. Green, on Sep 5 2010, 01:00 AM, said:

The Ride Continues!!
http://talkinrealatyou.blogspot.com/2010/0...-continues.html

Blog post about the continued development of Duke Nukem Forever
http://talkinrealatyou.blogspot.com/2010/0...wake-freak.html

Interesting! So the pc version was 85% done when the dev teak was let go, very close to what I've thought so far (I've always said the game was about 90% done by the closure date)

Isaac's right, Gearbox are being taken as the saviors, even though their work on the game has been mininum.

User is offline   TJR 

View PostPsyrgery, on Sep 4 2010, 04:11 PM, said:

Interesting! So the pc version was 85% done when the dev teak was let go, very close to what I've thought so far (I've always said the game was about 90% done by the closure date)

Isaac's right, Gearbox are being taken as the saviors, even though their work on the game has been mininum.

Both sides (former developers and Gearbox) are going to be inclined to overstate their roles a little. Self-promotion doesn't hurt, so I wouldn't be surprised if the truth were somewhere in the middle.

As for Gearbox, they've ragged on 3D Realms for years, so they're naturally going to boast about how they do things right and how Apogee did things wrong. The fall of 3D Realms vindicates their past decision to break off (Apogee and Randy Pitchford may be friendly now, but they parted during an ugly staff rebellion and were at odds with each other for years. Pitchford's departure was not amicable), which makes this deal a sweet victory for them.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Very interesting. Im not quite sure how I feel about that just yet.

User is offline   peoplessi 

• Honored Donor

I'm still bit awestruck at how close they actually were. If 9 guys can finish the game to near completion in 1 year - that's something. I still wonder how the money ran out, they needed +2mil to finish the game. It didn't come as a surprise that's for sure.

I'm most sorry for the whole 3D Realms team - who worked so hard on DNF and to see it slip away so near the completion. Glad that most of the guys got to work on DNF even after that, and the fact those Triptych guys had the dedication to finish the game. Bringing it to a state where 2k games / Gearbox had a perfect change to get the rights and almost finished game. I'm sure it wasn't cheap, but I'm still wondering what this means for 3D Realms - they have not much left on the IP side of things. Prey was sold, Duke Nukem is sold... there's not much top IP's left. Well Shadow Warrior, but I doubt we will see a sequel to that.

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

I think the credits situation could potentially be a mess with the number of people who've worked on
the game over the years.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I remember when I first played Metal Gear Solid 3, I killed hundreds of people. When I got to the Sorrow, it took over an hour to sort through all those I had killed (only to learn at the end I didn't have to wait through all of it.) Alas, I think the credits would much be like that.

User is offline   3dwizard 

New story from T. Ray !!!
http://talkinrealatyou.blogspot.com/2010/0...discussion.html

The other side of the discussion..
This individual states another point of view....

"I understand how frustrating this would be when you work so hard to get a game out and become so close to finishing it only for it to basically be given to another studio. But I do think you're being harsh.

Randy and Gearbox are not even half as bad as you're making them sound. During the Gearbox panel he actually mentioned Triptych employees as the people who got the game done and you guys got an ovation. So you're not forgotten, your contributions are not being ignored and from what I can tell the majority of your complaints stem from a very brief press release. Which is probably valid but its a press release, it isn't meant to be a huge description of the development of DNF, which is probably far too long for a release. The Kotaku article is based on the booth presentation that Randy gave inside the DNF booth where he said way more than what Totilo posted.

Randy isn't a bad guy, he isn't denying you guys helped out, he gave you guys a huge mention during the Gearbox panel, But give him some credit at least, if it wasn't for his desire (whether hes doing it for money or for the love of Duke) to have gearbox get it done it probably wouldn't ever be released. Gearbox has the backing of T2, which probably helped getting this done. He at least deserves credit for that. Does he deserve credit for getting the game done? Probably not.

We get Duke, you're getting your credit and everyone should be happy."

Well said "High-Lander" <---that's not his name, just made that up) Anyway, I've only met Randy a couple of times. I can not tell you if he is a good or bad guy with any certainty. My beef is not with the man, Randy Pitchford. I took issue with his "initial" statements during the live feed and in the press that day. If he then mentioned Triptych after those statements were made (to the press) then I guess this bloggin' stuff does work. I would like to think that i had something to do with that but I don't think so.

Again, this is about getting those guys credit for what they did. Those guys took huge risks and put their homes and families in jeopardy to complete this title. That took BALLS OF STEEL, so i have to give them props for that. Anyone that gains from that sacrifice, should be the first to give them their proper due.

Thank you "K-dog" for the email

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Gearbox stepped up the cash to enable Triptych to complete the game, so they DID save Duke. Triptych did the last stretch of the game, but they certainly wouldn't have done it for free after 3DR went splat.

Except Triptych was started in June 2009 and worked on DNF before Gearbox entered the picture.

User is online   Outtagum 

If it wasn't for Triptych keeping the torch going and then Gearbox lending a hand for the last lap, I doubt we would have been seeing this game any time soon if at all.

This is like watching someone trying to figure out what's going on in the locker room based on the action on the field.

Every time you state that X would or wouldn't have happened you are making speculations... and your position is only being informed by well intentioned but specious info at best... and outright incomplete or fabricated information at worst.

Everyone is free to guess, but arguing with each other about it as if either side has any real tangible info to form a genuinely confident position... just no. Even the MOST informed Duke fans out there like Kristian barely have the picture. Even my own is incomplete and it's certainly far more complete than people in here. Trammel's picture is incomplete as well... etc etc. Even George and Scott's aren't entirely complete (and ALL of them are colored by our own personalities and priorities).

This post has been edited by Wieder: 09 September 2010 - 12:04 AM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostWieder, on Sep 9 2010, 04:01 AM, said:

Everyone is free to guess, but arguing with each other about it as if either side has any real tangible info to form a genuinely confident position... just no. Even the MOST informed Duke fans out there like Kristian barely have the picture. Even my own is incomplete and it's certainly far more complete than people in here. Trammel's picture is incomplete as well... etc etc. Even George and Scott's aren't entirely complete (and ALL of them are colored by our own personalities and priorities).

Thats what makes the Duke Nukem Forever section in this forum so fun. :D

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

I refuse to believe there isn't anyone out there with a complete picture.

User is offline   3dwizard 

View PostSplat, on Sep 9 2010, 10:55 AM, said:

I refuse to believe there isn't anyone out there with a complete picture.

George and Randy have the complete picture but they both refuse to tell it as it REALLY is.
Their side of the story is going to be biased in order to better represent their interests!
I believe the complete picture can be assembled by people that listen to all the versions of the story.
The truth is in the middle! What we do know is that George admits DNF was dead until Gearbox came to save it.
So what this means is that, what we were actually waiting for in these forums, was to hear George tell us how the game actually failed for real.
The Gearbox thing really was a surprise. Everybody who said that George killed DNF was right, the miracle of Gearbox(be it selfish or not) saved this game from death. The game wasn't close to death, it really was dead.

The big problem with this game being dead is that like everything else, after it died we all know it starts to rot and decompose. I wonder how much did this game get to rot while being dead, before gearbox took it's corpse and brought it back to life?
If the game was dead for too long, we could risk getting a zombine or a FrankenDuke lol.

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 09 September 2010 - 08:34 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options