Duke4.net Forums: [HELP] Blender 2.8 model export - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[HELP] Blender 2.8 model export  "How to export model for Duke 3D?"

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Hello folks. Recently I've dived into low poly modeling and I want to make a few models for my map, but I stuck at exporting. I've downloaded md3 script, but I'm not sure if I use it right.

I want to export this little chair:
Spoiler

Here is a list of questions I cant figure out:

- How to export md3 file in Blender?
- Before exporting in md3 I use "Triangulate Modifier", is that correct?
- How to make a model skin? For me it's easier to model and than put texture on model, without making UV map.
- Does new Eduke32 support models in Polymost?

I suppose I've made a def file right, so the problem is in exporting and UV map. I also checked HRP for how they define models and how the skin looks like (definitely not as my model).

Would be really nice if somebody could explain me this stuff on Discord. If you can do so, please add me - brullov#449

User is offline   MC84 

I'm by no means an expert on this but I have been using blender to make models for my project for some time now.

To export, I've been using photonic's blender import/export script. You may have to install an older version of blender if the newest one isn't supported. I'm still using 2.79. https://forums.duke4...-export-script/

I have never bothered with a triangulate modifier, however by default "triangulate" is checked once you click export on the md3 script. I usually click 'calculate eduke32 def scale' as well, although I don't believe it's essential. The other important thing to remember is that the mesh object's location, rotation are all set to 0 (press N in 3d view to bring up these options with object selected) and the scale is set to 1. I usually make the meshes pretty large, as Blender's scale seems much smaller than eduke32. But enlarge them in edit mode, so that the objects scale remains at 1.

The other important thing to remember is to remove all the extra keyframes, otherwise by default the export script will make your meshes have 250 frames, which will make the filesize WAY too big. To remove extra keyframes just make sure "start" is set to 1, and "end" is set to 1.

I'm sorry to say that there's no way around UV unwrapping... it's tedious and annoying but I don't think eduke32 supports multiple materials... perhaps the HRP guys can clarify this for you.

Yes Polymost supports 3d models, that's the renderer that I've been using in my project.. although there is a bug in recent versions (anything past 7657) where you can't select the 3d models in 3d mode. Kind of annoying, so you just have to position them in 2d mode and alter their spriteflags that way...

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

His latest script supports 2.8x.

EDuke uses MD3, which is an ancient model format. Whatever you think of, it probably doesn't support it.

Yes, you need to learn UV mapping. If you want, I can link some tutorials.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 19 December 2019 - 12:02 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Linking these here for reference:

Blender Portable - https://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures/blender_portable
Old versions - https://sourceforge.net/projects/portableapps/files/Blender%20Portable/

User is offline   Kyanos 

View Postconoklast, on 19 December 2019 - 02:11 AM, said:

I'm by no means an expert on this but I have been using blender to make models for my project for some time now.

To export, I've been using photonic's blender import/export script. You may have to install an older version of blender if the newest one isn't supported. I'm still using 2.79. https://forums.duke4...-export-script/

The lateset script is on the last page of the thread. This post, https://forums.duke4...post__p__333414
I can't change the topic title or update the original post.

View Postconoklast, on 19 December 2019 - 02:11 AM, said:

I have never bothered with a triangulate modifier, however by default "triangulate" is checked once you click export on the md3 script. I usually click 'calculate eduke32 def scale' as well, although I don't believe it's essential.

All that is out with the latest 2.8 script. Blender made too many major changes, I struggled to even port the old script this far. Maybe in time others will sort out some of these issues on Blenders end and I will take another crack at triangulate, the def scale calculator is gone though :lol:

User is offline   Kyanos 

To be clear you need to have triangle meshes or add triangulate modifier to the stack it should apply on export.

User is online   Mark 

If its a standard sized Blender model, scale of about 15-20 on export should be a good size for eduke32. If not scaled up some models get corrupted converting to md3. Also, Blender's front face export is 90 degrees off from Eduke's front facing. IIRC you should spin the model CCW before export. You may want to adjust model centering too before export as Blender models by default are centered in the model's center and not the model's bottom like eduke uses.

This post has been edited by Mark: 19 December 2019 - 04:27 PM

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Thank you guys, I will try this tomorrow and let you know if it works Posted Image

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Still no result. I've tried to export in latest blender and in 2.78c. My mapster log looks like that:

Loading "duke3d.def"
Warning: Failed loading MD2/MD3 model "res/models/cube.md3"

I'm trying to export simple cube right now. Cause I defenitely have problems with exporting or importing model to eduke.

My duke3d.def looks like that:

model "res/models/cube.md3" { 
   scale 1 shade 0 
   skin { pal 0 file "res/skins/chairskin.png" } 
   frame { name none00 tile 5888 }
}

EDIT:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by brullov: 21 December 2019 - 01:00 AM

• Polymancer

The line that says 'frame { name none00 tile 5888}. Your frame name is listed as 'none00'. The default frame name from the script is 'frame0' for the first frame and sequentially after that 'frame1', 'frame2', etc.

To check the frame name of your model, you'll need to open it up in NPherno's MD3 compiler.
Posted Image

That is a better UV map, but there is an awful lot of wasted space in there. You can try the 'Pack UV's' command to get stuff to sit tighter together. All that space is pixels you could be using on your skin. For a model like that, don't be afraid to share uv's over different texture areas. Such as have one strip of wood texture on your chair skin and map all your wood UVs to that strip.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 21 December 2019 - 01:15 AM

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Thanks Tea! Thats my first UV map ever, I gonna reorgonise it next time, thanks for the tips. I also gonna check frame name now.

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Great news everyone! It works, thank you all!

Posted Image

• Polymancer

Yayyyy! Glad it worked.

Here's what I mean about sharing UVs. All the turret tops and the widows are mapped to one part of the graphic so that they have higher pixel counts. All the stone work is mapped to one chunk of stone graphic for the same reason.
Posted Image

User is online   Mark 

Just so you know, the "none00" frame name is what the Misfit Model 3D program uses by default. Thats why you will see it in most of the defs in my projects. Its great to see another 3D modeller here. There aren't enough of us. :lol:

This post has been edited by Mark: 21 December 2019 - 06:10 AM

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Guys, everything work so smooth. Thank you a lot!! Script works with latest Blender 2.8, just add Triangulate Modifier before exporting. Now my hands are fully untied, I can make any geometry. FUCK YEAH

@Mark

Duke modding still lives. I was about to quit again, but it was worth it. Thank you for help!

This post has been edited by brullov: 21 December 2019 - 07:20 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options