Duke4.net Forums: .WAV Versus .OGG - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

.WAV Versus .OGG  "Which sound file format is better?"

User is offline   HELLMOUSE 

I'm not sure what file type is better.

Wav files are huge compared to ogg, but no data is lost in that format.
Ogg files are compressed, but isn't there a loss of data from that?

I made a 7-Zip file from 731 sounds. The size went from 172 MB to the compressed size of 110 MB. That's just the sounds! I would like to convert those clunky wavs to oggs, to save some space, but I don't want to damage any of the sounds.

I'm not sure how big something can be on MODDB, but I would imagine that the smaller the better.

I'm also not sure if EDuke32 needs more overhead or memory if it is reading from a compressed format such as ogg. What I'm getting at, is there are usually ups and downs; oggs are more compressed and less disc space is needed, but does is that more load on the cache? With wavs, is there less load on the cache, even though it takes-up more space on disc? I'm not sure about any of that. This is something else that worries me because I'm blind with what is actually going on. I don't really know how much memory is needed, because there is no monitor like some sort of cache meter similar to the frame rate monitor. I don't want to convert everything to ogg and find out there is a price to pay in terms of processing and memory (cache size).

I prefer developers to answer this because my second main concern involves details with EDuke32's...execution...performance...specifications (not sure what to call it), but if you know something that you think would help, post it.

You are allowed to start something with, "Well, it depends".

"Ogg files are compressed, but isn't there a loss of data from that?"

There are two kinds of compression, lossy compression and lossless compression. Lossy compression involves the loss of information, lossless doesn't. Ogg Vorbis uses lossy compression.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostHELLMOUSE, on 21 November 2019 - 04:47 PM, said:

Ogg files are compressed, but isn't there a loss of data from that?

Ogg Vorbis is a lossy audio codec. There's a loss of data by its very definition. That said, unless you use ridiculously low bitrates there shouldn't be a noticeable difference.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

You should use .ogg if you have a lot of sound data. Since everything goes into the cache, it's easy to exhaust the cache space by filling it with raw .wav data. This can cause all kinds of performance issues.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Encode them with the highest quality ogg setting and you won't hear a difference.

User is offline   HELLMOUSE 

Thanks to all of you for the information, I will convert those clunky, huge wavs to oggs.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options