Duke4.net Forums: Ever wanted to play doom maps in duke nukem 3d - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ever wanted to play doom maps in duke nukem 3d  "Okay so, its only kinda. YOU NEED DOSBOX."

User is offline   superboo07 

Read the readmeforinstructions.txt for instructions.Attached File  Doom1-2toduke.zip (1.56MB)
Number of downloads: 331

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Wasn't there a WAD2MAP and WAD2ART that came with Duke3D? I remember playing Doom maps with tiny little Doom monsters in Duke3D in the 90s for some reason. But the palettes were all off a bit. I could be imagining this.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 07 November 2019 - 05:39 PM

User is offline   NNC 

There had been many attempts to remake Doom maps in Duke3D, but all failed. The games have different art styles, themes, atmosphere, not to mention the infighting dynamics. The same goes vica versa: I don't like cacodemons and hell knights in urban atmospheres. It looks out of place.

What seems to be pretty darn close to Duke3D/Build though is "No Rest for the Living". That somehow has a very "LA Meltdown"-ish art and progression style, I can actually see some levels like "March of the Demons" or even "Hell Mountain" in a Duke style game but with adaptations. The Castle's "Redemption of the Slain" also has this NRFTL style (he made the first half of NRFTL), some parts ot it felt like a genuine Build adventure. But all of these examples are exceptions and not a rule.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 08 November 2019 - 01:41 AM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 07 November 2019 - 05:39 PM, said:

But the palettes were all off a bit. I could be imagining this.

That's a given considering Doom and Duke Nukem 3D have different palettes. Same if you import Duke graphics to Doom.

FYI you can set "cycles=max" in your dosbox configuration file and speed up the conversion process. Just be sure to set it back to auto or whatever your settings were after you're done with everything.

This doesn't really produce playable maps by default with current eduke32 in svn but it gives a great starting point for editing in mapster32.

This post has been edited by comorbidity: 31 January 2020 - 11:41 AM

View Postcomorbidity, on 31 January 2020 - 11:40 AM, said:

FYI you can set "cycles=max" in your dosbox configuration file and speed up the conversion process. Just be sure to set it back to auto or whatever your settings were after you're done with everything.

This doesn't really produce playable maps by default with current eduke32 in svn but it gives a great starting point for editing in mapster32.

fwiw I tried this again and omitted the "-o" flag that extracts textures/assets from the wadfiles and it works!

there's a few issues, such as the exits not working and alignment of the keycard scanners... but that's easily solvable with mapster.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options