Duke4.net Forums: Duke Begins "footage" - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Begins "footage"

When I heard the song, I thought Duke would start skateboarding.

User is offline   JohnBlade 

View PostYatta, on 08 August 2021 - 04:13 PM, said:

There is a treasure trove of woke culture bullshit to parody today. Duke was all about parodying stuff from films and pop culture, right? Well, America today is all about woke culture ESPECIALLY in Hollywood film/TV, so there's your target.

All the Chinese CCP dick sucking going on, all the Covid bullshit, all the focus on transpeople participating against women in Olympic (and other sports) events, all the "America is bad and defund the police" bullshit from crazies like AOC, all this shit needs to be parodied. We need to cancel the "cancel culture" and Duke would be the perfect "All-American" character to do it shamelessly.

Imagine all the negative press and death threats the producers of such a magnificent game would receive, but all that bad attention would still generate controversy, which in turn would generate $ which is what these pussy-ass woke corporate bastards want in the first place, but are too cowardly and stupid to pull off.

Yes this is a game I would buy.

After all these flops with Duke Nukem - how much do you think the "Duke Nukem" brand is currently worth? Maybe there is enough mad Duke fans to fund a kickstarter campaign to buy the rights to this thing and finally build the Duke game this community wants...

User is offline   Poorchop 

View PostYatta, on 08 August 2021 - 06:16 PM, said:

The fact that I find ample logic in both of your points simultaneously gives me sadness and courage. Sadness that the transient nature of time truly means all good things must come to an end, but courage that it is all the more reason to be brave and make a game like that against all odds. This old video comes to mind:

https://www.youtube....h?v=r47UqYMDN2k

Video games don't have to be made for teenagers alone, and yellow journalism has always existed.

I guess that we have to be the change that we want to see, although that's not entirely feasible for those of us who aren't in the business of making games. I agree with MusicallyInspired that if there is to be any change, it's probably not going to come from a major studio but from someone without much to lose:

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 08 August 2021 - 07:07 PM, said:

Which means an already established AAA company/studio is not going to be the one to do it, despite Duke Nukem being the perfect vehicle to deliver the message. It's gotta be someone with nothing much to lose who doesn't have a reputation to uphold. Some upstart who's going to dare to change things because the establishment won't (because they depend on it) and win the hearts of the next generation who are always poised to rebel against the former. Like Rock and Roll.

I don't even even know if it's that important that a game be over-the-top in its efforts to parody the prevalent hypersensitivity and all of the garbage that has come along with it. It would be nice to just see some games made by nerds again, people without any specific agenda or concern with aligning with the views of the loudest clowns on Twatter. These days, it seems like we can't even get something simple like Chex Quest without the final boss being the protagonist's own penis.

Looks like they used Linus Tech Tips cosplay as the bases for the model lol
pretty good pitch though

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMalgon, on 07 August 2021 - 10:42 PM, said:

Sorry for the necrobump, but stumbled across this video which Gregor just posted on his channel. Looks like more of the footage from the first post:

https://www.youtube....h?v=XiZHM1CLVy8

Who is chosing these fucking songs?

If you have no taste in music, slap the Megadeth version of Grabbag on there and be done with it. It's a damn reel.

On the content therein, of course we saw quite a bit of this back when this thread first started but I gotta say.... I see what they were going for.

They were turning Duke into a "modern" version of an action hero. Whatshisfuck from those games Naughty Dog made. I can't even remember. That's what they're going for. More Brendan Fraisery. Somewhat aloof.

That's just not Duke. Can you imagine an origin story for Arnold Schwarzenneger's Last Action Hero character?

The artistry itself is fine. The animation itself is fine. The context of it all is just fucking terrible.

Also, the gameplay looks generic as fuck and nothing like what a Duke game should play like. What is this aim at dual targets shit? That's not Duke. That's John Woo/Max Payne.

Duke's emphasis should be on power, and physical prowess. Not speed in this sense.

I don't know. It's really weird. I tried to step back and be objective about it. I'm just glad it didn't happen.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostOpenMaw, on 09 August 2021 - 04:23 PM, said:

Also, the gameplay looks generic as fuck and nothing like what a Duke game should play like. What is this aim at dual targets shit? That's not Duke. That's John Woo/Max Payne.

I'm not sure if that even was gameplay, or if it was like placeholder footage. The reason I'm unsure is that the animation in those segments seems unnaturally stiff and not unified. It looks like every frame was manually animated by the team following basic descriptions of what the gameplay would look like, to be replaced with real gameplay once there was something to show.

I could be wrong, but those "gameplay" segments just don't look at all like gameplay to me.

• Judge Mental

Oh, no, they're definitely not "Gameplay" in the sense that there is no game being played. That's all assets being animated and pre-rendered to give a general idea of what the game could look like.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostOpenMaw, on 09 August 2021 - 04:23 PM, said:

Who is chosing these fucking songs?

Yeah, the theme song of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 does not fit with Duke Nukem.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

If all future Duke games are supposed to be like this, I am glad we did not get more so far. Hell, even DNF would not be possible any more now due to the SJWs and Cancel Culture.

User is offline   Multiplexa 

the concept video of the game that was suposed to follow DNF get leaked as Embracer Group owns both Gearbox AND 3D Realms. The comspiracy about his return it's making Jesus look tame

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Dacoolguy 

A Duke nukem reboot in the style of the last 2 Doom games that also made subtle fun of political correctness but instead have it poke fun on feminism and woke culture in general, could potentially destroy woke culture's impact and turn it into a world wide joke in the eyes of most people.
A good looking and playing Duke game that also makes great jokes about woke culture, would be detrimental for the neo marxists that are running the show right now.
I dare to say that a great new duke nukem game that doesn't censor itself, would be banned, and portrayed as a fascist/terrorist propaganda.
Duke Nukem is as forbidden as the Swastika itself in this day and age!

Unless a civil war in USA or WW3 happens and the liberals lose, I can guarantee you that Duke Nukem will never in our life times ever come again untainted and the way we want it to come.

This post has been edited by Dacoolguy: 11 August 2021 - 01:38 AM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Seing the gameplay phases and pacing, it would rather make a decent VR game on the same pattern as the Serious Duke 3D mod, afte all in a VR game slower pacing is excusable and even justified as with such a level of immersion players tend to develop a longuer reaction time...

User is offline   jkas789 

Personally I'm not so sure how I feel about this one. As a concept it is fine but the vertical slice looks pretty fucking jank. Also I cringed so hard when I heard that Rage Against the Machine song playing in a Duke Nukem trailer thingy. That was truly a hello fellow kids moment.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 13 August 2021 - 07:30 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

HAHAHAHA. DUKE LOOKS LIKE A TWINK AND THE MUSIC IS WRITTEN BY COMMIES.

Truly God has blessed us because Duke Nukem is dead.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

I was gonna say "this looks like it was made by Europeans" but then I saw Dallas, TX and was left scratching my head.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Texas is pozzed as fuck.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The music is pretty horrible, but I'm not sure that was part of the pitch video. I think that was added later just for YT.

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 17 August 2021 - 03:24 PM, said:

The music is pretty horrible, but I'm not sure that was part of the pitch video. I think that was added later just for YT.

tbh, it is bad even without music.

Why does Duke have to lose the Ray Bans? Duke Forever did it, and they did it here too- douchebag wrap around shades. Ray Bans are still stylish, still in vogue, instantly evoke images of Schwarzenegger in the Terminator films, and Duke wore facsimiles of them in every game after Duke 3D. Putting him in more modern sunglasses instantly knocks him down from 'cool' to 'jackass' in my mind. I know it's petty but it seriously irks me.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah the Raybans are a staple. I don't get it.

• Judge Mental

Fresh young artists get it in their minds that they have to change everything to make their own "mark" on it.

Hence things like the Abrams rebooted Trek films completely redesigning everything from the ground up, unless nostalgia was needed in which case we'll rip it straight out and slap it in there.

I guess the shades are just "old man wear" now or something.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostOpenMaw, on 21 August 2021 - 01:02 PM, said:

Fresh young artists get it in their minds that they have to change everything to make their own "mark" on it.

Hence things like the Abrams rebooted Trek films completely redesigning everything from the ground up, unless nostalgia was needed in which case we'll rip it straight out and slap it in there.

I guess the shades are just "old man wear" now or something.

Actually, the Star Trek 2009 stuff looking different was more to do with licensing because Paramount owned some of Star Trek and CBS owned the other and there was some kind of adherence required to make it distinctly different to a degree without copying the original look/props/costumes/ships/etc. At least "25% different" was a rumoured number floating around. But it was mostly contract-based. Not that artists didn't want to redesign everything.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'd only support changing the Ray Bans to Pit Vipers.

Regarding the ray bans, didn't Duke's in-game render (sprite, stat screen, E1 cutscene) use a different style that was also sort of wrap around?

• Judge Mental

View PostNinety-Six, on 23 August 2021 - 07:48 AM, said:

Regarding the ray bans, didn't Duke's in-game render (sprite, stat screen, E1 cutscene) use a different style that was also sort of wrap around?

They appeared to be based on the Gargoyles that Schwarzenegger wore in The Terminator.

User is offline   Poorchop 

SkyNet never endorsed Ray-Ban. Arnold wore Gargoyles in the first film and Persols in the second. Fortunately he stopped at a bar in the second movie and not at a frat house.

Gearbox has nuked the video.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

So they still have Duke Nukem Begins in their backlog ? It would never happen otherwise.

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 26 January 2022 - 10:10 AM

View Postgemeaux333, on 26 January 2022 - 10:08 AM, said:

It would never happen otherwise.

Oh, it most certainly would happen otherwise.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options