Duke4.net Forums: Quake 4/Doom 3/Prey PBR interaction shader - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quake 4/Doom 3/Prey PBR interaction shader

Hey,

This is non Duke related, but I've created a PBR interaction shader for Quake 4/Doom 3 and Prey.

Video:

Interaction Shader for Quake 4/Doom3/Prey and CG source along with batch files(you need Nvidia CG to compile the shaders to interaction.vfp).
https://github.com/j...l23/idtech4_pbr

Screenshots
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

-Justin

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 25 August 2019 - 07:38 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Looks cool other than the overactive shine.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It looks like everything has been smeared in cum.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Doom 3's shader model is very different from PBR.

ICD, any chance of doing this for Polymer? It won't 'fix' the thing, but it will improve a raft of problems.

View PostJim Rockford, on 25 August 2019 - 02:01 PM, said:

Oh how I miss Duke 4 feedback :(.

View PostTea Monster, on 25 August 2019 - 03:22 PM, said:

Doom 3's shader model is very different from PBR.

ICD, any chance of doing this for Polymer? It won't 'fix' the thing, but it will improve a raft of problems.

The data was definitely designed for phong lighting. Modifying the math to do PBR is only half of the equation, the data has to be modified as well(which is why everything looks very glossy). I'm hoping someone down the line will create proper PBR textures for Prey, Quake 4 and Doom 3, now that I've made a shader for it.

I can defiantly add this to Polymer, but your going to run into the same issue, your lighting/textures that were designed for phong lighting are going to look very glossy and shinny(or even noisy), until you do a full PBR pass.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostJim Rockford, on 25 August 2019 - 02:01 PM, said:

What if it's a part of the plot?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

What about adding some of this to polymost now that they've started incorporating shaders there?

• Polymancer

View PostMicky C, on 26 August 2019 - 02:47 AM, said:

What about adding some of this to polymost now that they've started incorporating shaders there?

That is a better idea.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 26 August 2019 - 03:39 AM

What are the software and hardware requirements for this?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMicky C, on 26 August 2019 - 02:47 AM, said:

The Polymost rendering algorithm would need to be entirely replaced to add lighting effects.

View PostAltered Reality, on 27 August 2019 - 09:32 AM, said:

What are the software and hardware requirements for this?

I've had people e-mail me and say this runs on hardware from back in 2007.

I uploaded a quick playthrough of Prey with my shader enabled.

Committed a quick fix, the BRDF contribution is now multiplied by the light attenuation/falloff images, and metallic is no longer hardcoded. The specular image is now used as R=Roughness and B=Metallic.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 30 August 2019 - 12:48 AM

• Polymancer

How do you set up and name maps? Are any ports using this?

I have done a lot more work on doing Quake 4 HD work. I've been doing a bunch of memory injection, code detours, and such, I now have a Framebuffer Object that all of the world renders into, the first render texture in the render target is a HDR 16bit image which is used for lighting, the second render target is for the 8bit albedo. With the lighting and the albedo seperate, the lighting looks A LOT better compared to the original. Then on top of that, CaS is now applied to the Albedo render target, and yields way better results. Also I ran the textures through ESARGAN as well.

https://github.com/j...e/master/quake4

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
image hosting websites

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 24 October 2019 - 03:52 AM

Just made a quick video showing the above features and talking about the stuff I'm doing with Quake 4.

Quake 4 opt in bloom. With sikkmod they basically bloomed the entire framebuffer(or opted to bloom based on how bright a pixel is, instead were able to opt materials in for bloom. Normally this would require engine source, but with the memory detouring stuff I've done, it made opt-in bloom really easy to add.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options