Duke4.net Forums: Borderlands corner - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Borderlands corner

User is online   johnnythewolf 

I am surprised there is not already a dedicated Borderlands thread (at least, one that is about the games and not just Randy's antics), so I am taking the liberty to create one.

So I just found out that Gearbox has released a whole new Borderlands 2 story DLC that is meant to bridge the gap between it and Borderlands 3.

Not going to lie, it feels really weird to go back to BL2 after so many years. But hey, the DLC is free for those of us who already own the game or the Handsome Collection. It also seems like Gearbox has salvaged some of the ideas (e.g. the plant mutant enemies) they had planned for that scrapped The Pre-Sequel DLC.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 09 June 2019 - 04:13 PM

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

• Duke Plus Developer

Yeah I started playing that earlier today and will continue tonight. I've always liked the Borderlands series with the exception of Borderlands 1, and I think the series gets way too much hate around here.

• Duke Plus Developer

I've played through about 60% of the DLC now with my friend Batsuey (voice of Bombshell in AA) and it's good. It's a full-scale DLC, comparable to the pirate one or Dragon's Keep. It brings in characters from the Telltale game that most players don't know about, and sets the stage for Borderlands 3. It's essentially a $20 DLC that they are giving away for free, and the Handsome collection is free or nearly free on all platforms, so there's no reason not to try it.

Yeah, I am kind of amazed that Gearbox would release this for a 7 year-old game. I guess they could not do that with The Pre-Sequel because of story reasons, but still, given their track record, it is rather unexpected. From what I have seen so far, it does not look like something they quickly slapped together either, so it could not be just a PR stunt to make up for BL3's temporary Epic Store exclusivity.

I honestly cannot think of a company that has done that; the only example that comes to mind is Running With Scissors releasing a new expansion pack for Postal 2 twelve years after the original's release, but it was not free and it was done so because RWS were trying to distance themselves for the Postal III fiasco.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 10 June 2019 - 04:23 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 10 June 2019 - 04:22 AM, said:

Yeah, I am kind of amazed that Gearbox would release this for a 7 year-old game. I guess they could not do that with The Pre-Sequel because of story reasons, but still, given their track record, it is rather unexpected. From what I have seen so far, it does not look like something they quickly slapped together either, so it could not be just a PR stunt to make up for BL3's temporary Epic Store exclusivity.

I honestly cannot think of a company that has done that; the only example that comes to mind is Running With Scissors releasing a new expansion pack for Postal 2 twelve years after the original's release, but it was not free and it was done so because RWS were trying to distance themselves for the Postal III fiasco.

This DLC has been remoured since late last year, when mysterious updates were discovered on Steam DB:

Recently when Gearbox released the free HD packs for Borderlands 2 and the Presequel, and released Borderlands 1 remastered, a lot of us lost hope and assumed that the mysterious Steam DB projects were all related to that. In fact that was the case for the Presequel, but for Borderlands 2 there was an additional project branch that turned out to be this new DLC.

When it comes to the Borderlands series, Gearbox has a good track record. You can argue that a few of the DLC over the years haven't been grat, but Borderlands is clearly the heart and soul of the company and it's where they do their best work.

Good to know.

If I have one major criticism of the DLC as of yet, it is that the main villain is just so boring and forgettable; maybe he will get better later on, but right now, he just comes across as The Pre-Sequel's Colonel Zarpedon all over again without the sympathetic personality and the understandable motives. None of the Borderlands 2's DLC villains were exceptional, but they tended to be more fun and memorable.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 11 June 2019 - 06:35 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 11 June 2019 - 05:42 AM, said:

If I have one major criticism of the DLC as of yet, it is that the main villain is just so boring and forgettable; maybe he will get better later on,

He doesn't.

Having finished it now, I would put this DLC somewhere in the middle of the pack. Still good, though.

Do you remember what the counter with the brown icon of what looks like a '1' upside down above the Golden Key one in the Badass Rank screen stand for? It has been so long since I have played Borderlands, I have no idea what it is supposed to be.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 13 June 2019 - 05:19 PM

Ah, nevermind. I just figured out what they are: Torgue Tokens. Man, I really need to replay the main game and the previous DLCs...

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

This is really hard to resist not to buy it. 610円=5.62 USD.
Posted Image

Has anyone been able to beat Lt. Hoffman on Ultimate Vault Hunter mode? He is the final mini-boss of the "BFFFs" sidequest and he seems to be simply impossible.

Like the previous mini-bosses in the quest, he has a very strong regenerating shield and can down my lvl 75 Psycho in a couple of shots, so close combat is simply out of question. I cannot get a clear shot from afar either, as the fight is taking place in a horribly-designed area where he always has the higher ground and there is no way to flank him. What is worse is that his AI keeps getting reset if I attack him from afar and as such whatever damage I managed to inflict to his shield gets instantly repaired. It is truly infuriating.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 15 June 2019 - 01:04 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Maiden! ;) © 2018 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options