Duke4.net Forums: Who here got shafted by the $100 Balls of Steel edition? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who here got shafted by the $100 Balls of Steel edition?

User is offline   justLMAO 

Just wondering if anyone here actually bought this? I watched an unboxing video and couldn't believe the trash it came with. Anyone who bought the 360 version for $100 basically got raped.

Lol @ preordering games tbhtbhtbh.

User is offline   necroslut 

I didn't, but I kinda wish I did get it when you could get it for like 10-20€...

I have it, but didn't get ripped off because I didn't buy it immediately and within a month eBay was full of sealed copies nobody wanted. Some fuckhead from the council stole most of the stuff when I moved home, but the cost was so minimal that I don't really care about that one (was more concerned about the tens of thousands worth of equipment they took or smashed), here's hoping they enjoyed their worthless pieces of plastic.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 07 April 2019 - 07:55 AM

User is offline   Tekedon 

Click here xD

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It was worth it for the art book alone.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Posted Image
"I'm Douk Nukum and I'm made in China you alien bastads."

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 08 April 2019 - 03:38 AM

Hmm, it seems I was shafted then, I didn't realize there was supposed to be some kind of book with artwork in there and I don't remember mine coming with that included. The strange thing about that is, the box was still sealed, so either it was a packaging error or else somebody resealed it after taking the book. Ah well, I guess all of the good stuff can be seen on the internet anyway, so whatever, no loss.

• The Sarien Encounter

It's the long horizontal book standing on the right there.

Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

My sister bought it for me as a graduation gift. For that reason alone it has a lot of value for me, admittedly almost all sentimental, especially knowing that she bought it knowing I would only be able to play it on her computer (at the time.)

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Yeah, I unfortunately fell for this myself. Everything in the box was cheap as fuck, the bust was a piece of shit, the dice weren't even painted right (WTF?), etc.

A cat knocked it off the back of one of my display shelves a few years ago. It's in a hard to reach place so I just left it. It's still there.

View PostTerminX, on 08 April 2019 - 10:07 AM, said:

Yeah, I unfortunately fell for this myself. Everything in the box was cheap as fuck, the bust was a piece of shit, the dice weren't even painted right (WTF?), etc.

A cat knocked it off the back of one of my display shelves a few years ago. It's in a hard to reach place so I just left it. It's still there.

The plastic trinkets never interested me, but the art book and comic look pretty nice (and don't take up as much space...) . Nothing worth the asking price, though.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostTerminX, on 08 April 2019 - 10:07 AM, said:

the dice weren't even painted right (WTF?), etc.

You reminded me of this:
Posted Image

User is offline   ryche 

When I preordered it, I was excited to get the BoS edition. I got the Xbox one as that was my way of playing DNF at the time. My PC that I initially had at the time wasn't up to the job. Unfortunately I felt a little ripped off especially when I saw how many of those editions were sitting on store shelves even a year later at a much cheaper price tag.
I did enjoy some of the pieces but alas, like TerminX said, they felt cheap. I still have mine though ready to display alongside my other Duke stuff once I have a place to put them out. The bust I would say was the most disappointing thing. I thought it was neat at the time but the more I had it the less I was impressed. I would have thought for the price I paid it would've been a bigger bust. There were other limited editions that had much larger statues and such for around the same price.

In the end, I knew since I was waiting all those years for DNF like everyone else I knew off the 3DR boards that I would get whatever limited edition nonsense that came out. It was THE game that I waited for and for all those years of waiting it was coming out. I couldn't pass on the BoS.

This post has been edited by ryche: 08 April 2019 - 04:52 PM

View Postryche, on 08 April 2019 - 04:52 PM, said:

There were other limited editions that had much larger statues and such for around the same price.

Yep, the Halo 3 Legendary Edition had a 1:1 Master Chief helmet which looked amazing and the Gears of War 3 Epic Edition had a huge bulky 12" statue of Marcus

It's very not cool that Gearbox/Runny Shitfart/whoever chose to cheap out to such a ridiculous extent

A good special edition would've been a Duke statue in the same pose as the Duke 3D boxart, an artbook showing in detail the creation of the game (a good one not just crappy concept art) and a red vest with the nuke symbol on the front

View PostjustLMAO, on 08 April 2019 - 05:34 PM, said:

A good special edition would've been a Duke statue in the same pose as the Duke 3D boxart, an artbook showing in detail the creation of the game (a good one not just crappy concept art) and a red vest with the nuke symbol on the front

If they had that much taste they would have made a non-terrible box art for the game...

• The Sarien Encounter

It was almost worse. Remember the non-perspective respecting background of the original design and the pinkish hue?

I bought it when it was $15 at EB Games, worth it just for that Duke bust. I wasn't expecting high grade material or anything and thought it was pretty sufficient for what it was but definitely if i was paying $100 for it my attitude might be a bit different about it lol

Still chillin' on my desk.

Posted Image

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 08 April 2019 - 08:58 PM, said:

It was almost worse. Remember the non-perspective respecting background of the original design and the pinkish hue?

True. I never cared that much for the original "prototype" DNF cover from back in the day with his smug smirk, but at least it had some style. I guess any hope for good covers died when the industry replaced painted covers with CGI renders.

I never felt ripped off by the balls of steel edition per say. I don’t expect much from video game collectors editions and I’m still fond of the little Duke bust statue. I will say I was disappointed by the poker chips and especially the deck of cards with how cheap and flimsy they are but moreso the fact that it’s not even a full size deck insuring that they will never once be used to actually play with. The inclusion of the paper craft Duke always baffled me and I don’t think I ever so much as took it out of the plastic wrap. Its a standard collectors edition for the time it was released and I never gave it much thought because I was more concerned with the actual game and trying to desperately milk enjoyment out of it to satiate my ravenous fanboyism.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The censored British cover art is hilarious.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostJimmy 100MPH, on 09 April 2019 - 09:48 AM, said:

The censored British cover art is hilarious.

I actually prefer it.

View PostKaijuTurtle, on 09 April 2019 - 09:35 AM, said:

I will say I was disappointed by the poker chips and especially the deck of cards with how cheap and flimsy they are but moreso the fact that it’s not even a full size deck insuring that they will never once be used to actually play with.

Just LMAO @ the deck of cards not even being a full deck.

Posted Image

Should've been named the "Shit Sandwich" edition.

The review embargo to prevent word getting around that the 360 port was garbage was super unethical too. The IP is in the hands of some real assholes.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 April 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

I actually prefer it.

It's better in some ways, but I just love laughing at Britbongistan for being such pussies that the original cover was offensive.

The image does not load, but I've never seen a copy with box art which differs from the US version.

As for the book, that would certainly explain the empty space at the back of the box filled with a cardboard insert. I'm baffled.

• The Sarien Encounter

That's too bad. It was a decently well put together little book. Nice quality and all.

Here's the box art differences.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 09 April 2019 - 04:41 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 April 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

That's too bad. It was a decently well put together little book. Nice quality and all.

Here's the box art differences.

Duke looks like a dork in both versions, but at least he doesn't look as fucking smug in the edited one.
Still, that cover art is hideous and possibly the single worst thing about DNF.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 09 April 2019 - 06:52 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options