Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D Shareware CDs thread - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D Shareware CDs thread

User is offline   Gingis Khan 

  • 19

#1

Hey guys, i wanted to ask about Duke Nukem 3D Shareware CD Releases.

I am in possession of original Duke Nukem 3D Shareware Episode CD. This CD comes with fncy installer that let you install two games, either Duke Nukem 3D Shareware Episode v1.1 or Terminal Velocity Shareware Episode v1.2. Has anyone has this CD as well?

Also is there any other version of Shareware CD? such as original CD of v1.0 or v1.3D shreware? If they exist, are they avaible somewhere to get them at leasst in ISO format, note even if they were "Retail" SHAREWARE they were still Shareware, so no mind about sharing them here. On Archive.org i found exactly the same ISO copy of my Duke Nukem 3D Shareware Episode v1.1.

Also is there any other "unofficial" shareware or demos for Duke3D? I know that on topic "Demo Versions of Build Games" someone posted weird Shareware version of Duke3D cut to 3 levels. Shareware/Demos like this are also welcome to be shared here as well.

And what about Shadow Warrior Shareware CD? This one i can't find on Archive.org though...

Thank you.
2

User is offline   MrFlibble 

  • 642

#2

View PostGingis Khan, on 13 March 2019 - 08:47 AM, said:

I am in possession of original Duke Nukem 3D Shareware Episode CD. This CD comes with fncy installer that let you install two games, either Duke Nukem 3D Shareware Episode v1.1 or Terminal Velocity Shareware Episode v1.2. Has anyone has this CD as well?

I remember downloading this from archive.org, here it is:
https://archive.org/...em_3D_Shareware

I haven't heard of other physical CD releases. The version on the CD is exactly the same as the download version save for the installer, so there was no problem patching it to 1.3D with the regular shareware patch. I believe this alone makes the probability of a later official re-release very slight.

There could've been third-party CD releases of Duke3D but I'm not aware of any at this moment.

View PostGingis Khan, on 13 March 2019 - 08:47 AM, said:

If they exist, are they avaible somewhere to get them at leasst in ISO format, note even if they were "Retail" SHAREWARE they were still Shareware, so no mind about sharing them here.

Just a theoretical side note, I remember that the retail CD shareware of Blood had an explicit clause in the readme/license forbidding third-party distribution, even though it doesn't actually have any more content compared to the electronic distribution version (no cinematics or anything). But the executable is different and there's a different set of patches for Blood retail shareware

I'm pretty certain that the no redistribution clause was to prevent creation and selling of unauthorised copies of the CD, and not to disallow users who hadn't paid for the CD from getting the shareware version, but still we should observe it if we want to play by the rules.

The idea is, something is eligible for redistribution, shareware or otherwise, if you don't have any explicit direction to the contrary in the official docs.

View PostGingis Khan, on 13 March 2019 - 08:47 AM, said:

Also is there any other "unofficial" shareware or demos for Duke3D? I know that on topic "Demo Versions of Build Games" someone posted weird Shareware version of Duke3D cut to 3 levels. Shareware/Demos like this are also welcome to be shared here as well.

IIRC the three-level demo was a hack by a French gaming magazine. It's essentially shareware v1.1 (I think) but for whichever reason the executable has been modified to ignore E1L4 to E1L6. Basically you finish E1L3 and are thrown back to E1L1. I have zero idea why this was done because the shareware version was available at that time already, it wasn't a leak or anything.

On the other hand, the Macintosh demo of Duke3D is a legit three-level version, with no other levels in the data file except E1L1 to E1L3. The demo GRP is recognised by EDuke32 so you can play it if you want (no MIDI music though).

There's also the exclusive one-level demo that was released by the Computer Gaming World magazine, more info here.

View PostGingis Khan, on 13 March 2019 - 08:47 AM, said:

And what about Shadow Warrior Shareware CD? This one i can't find on Archive.org though...

Good question! Actually this made me remember that there's an excellent source on these things: a German website called Online Games DatenBank (OGDB). They list a shareware CD version of SW by GT Interactive (obviously):
https://ogdb.eu/inde...me&gameid=19551
According to the site this was a boxed release (shareware v1.1) with a manual and a coupon (probably rebate for the retail version, as was customary back in the day).

OGDB is focused on physical releases of games, you can look up quite a few entries for Shadow Warrior for example:
https://ogdb.eu/inde...tle&titleid=138

The database has two shareware releases of Duke3D:

1

User is offline   Gingis Khan 

  • 19

#3

Interesting info thanks for sharing. BTW, i have question of that German site containg Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior Shareware CDs, does it only shows info about various CDs or there is downloadbale ISO as well as in Archive.org? I don't understand German so there may be download link i am not seeing/understanding?

Also sorry but i am not good at legal stuff, i don't understand why that Blood Retail Shareware has several restrictions on distribution, as far i know shareware is meant to be free demo trial or limited game to Episode one. I understand some sharewares were sold for lesser price then registered versions of their respective games, as developers made money of it, but still i don't understand hy some Retail Shareware are strict on this like they were registeed versions. Sorry again i suck at this legal stuff, so i may sound like noob on this subject.

Speaking of Duke Nukem 3D various share/demo versions, yes i remember trying that 3-level Shareware v1.1 of Duke Nukem 3D from that French magazine. As far i actually remember, DUKE3D.EXE wasn't hacked but USER.CON was to send to E1L1 afte you beat E1L3. E1L1 in that case still played Toxic Dump music and it was titled Toxic Dump. As well i used GroupStudio.exe to check out DUKE3D.GRP date and it contain all the same stuff original v1.1 shareware DUKE3D.GRP did, with only difference that E1L4-E1L6 maps were renamed to some dots like this: ........ so they are unaccessable but still present in files.

On other hand that v1.1 from CGW Magazine One Level Demo Version of Duke Nukem 3D was actually made by some missunderstanding as CGW wanted exclusive level for their demo but 3D Realms gave them just cut version to first level. BTW, worth thing of mentionging that this version is actually v1.2, not v1.1, but is still titled v1.1. Unlike french magazine version, this one has really original v1.1 Duke3D.grp but its CON files now features more stuff like Devastator (called Cycloid Weapon in v1.2) as well as first apperance of Overlord working code (actual v1.1 and v1.0 versions of Duke3D only contained Battlelord and unfinished Cycloid Emperor code) in this so called v1.1, actually v1.2, Flamethrower is seen to be replaced with Freezethrower already. There is more interesting stuff about it but I can't remember all now.

Speaking of actual CD Releases of Duke Nukem 3D Shareware Episode, i really wonded that only Shareware CD distributed was version 1.1 or there was more older (v1.0) or newer (v1.3D) version had their Shareware CD releases as well. If i understood good, there is no such a versions, as it wasn't neccesary due the patches available online.

BTW. a bit off topic, a side from Alpha/Beta screenshots game in action, was there even single or few screenshots showing actual registerved versions of Duke Nukem 3D v1.0, v1.1 or v1.2 anywhere? Also same for Shadow Warrior, was there any screenshots showing Shadow Warrior Registered v1.0 or v1.1 in action?

Speaking of Shadow Warrior Shareware CD i am really curious that those German sites you mentioned do contain download link of an ISO file, or they just show info and promotion of them?
Thank you for your reply @MrFlibble
1

User is offline   MrFlibble 

  • 642

#4

View PostGingis Khan, on 16 March 2019 - 09:18 AM, said:

Interesting info thanks for sharing. BTW, i have question of that German site containg Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior Shareware CDs, does it only shows info about various CDs or there is downloadbale ISO as well as in Archive.org? I don't understand German so there may be download link i am not seeing/understanding?

There are no downloads (most of them would be outright piracy mind you), this is an information database only. Their Q&A actually states that this database is intended for collectors of physical game releases, and archiving CD ISOs is clearly outside the scope of this goal.

View PostGingis Khan, on 16 March 2019 - 09:18 AM, said:

Also sorry but i am not good at legal stuff, i don't understand why that Blood Retail Shareware has several restrictions on distribution, as far i know shareware is meant to be free demo trial or limited game to Episode one. I understand some sharewares were sold for lesser price then registered versions of their respective games, as developers made money of it, but still i don't understand hy some Retail Shareware are strict on this like they were registeed versions.

The distribution terms of any release of any game are governed by the respective end-user license agreement (EULA). Simply designating a certain release as shareware alone is not sufficient to establish distribution rights granted to end-users. You'll notice that absolutely every shareware release contains a license file which has quite a few details, in many cases including for example a clause that prohibits the inclusion of said shareware on CD compilations without prior permission from the developers.

There were reasons why the retail shareware version of Blood was not allowed for distribution, I believe (but I may be wrong) that this was aimed at preventing third parties from making money by selling unauthorised copies of the CD. The end-users still could get the free downloadable version with exactly the same content save for the CGI cutscenes.

The CD shareware version of Quake is another story because it actually contains the full game which could be unlocked by purchasing a code from id Software.

View PostGingis Khan, on 16 March 2019 - 09:18 AM, said:

BTW. a bit off topic, a side from Alpha/Beta screenshots game in action, was there even single or few screenshots showing actual registerved versions of Duke Nukem 3D v1.0, v1.1 or v1.2 anywhere? Also same for Shadow Warrior, was there any screenshots showing Shadow Warrior Registered v1.0 or v1.1 in action?

I might be wrong but IIRC the registered versions 1.0 and 1.1 of Duke3D did not exist except as WIP development builds. The folks here who have (had) access to the 3DR archives may correct me on this though.

As for Shadow Warrior IIRC there were some shots published either at the Apogee/3D Realms website or the official website (shadowwarrior.com). I have uploaded what I could find via the Wayback Machine at MobyGames but I think there are no images that would be showing registered episode levels dating from May 1997 or later which would imply versions corresponding to shareware v1.0 and v1.1.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Maiden! ;) © 2018 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options