Duke4.net Forums: AMC TC Episode Three released - Duke4.net Forums

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AMC TC Episode Three released  "Grab it here!"

Nobody steals my paragraphs and lives !

_The Tomb : So right off the bat, the area looks cool despite the relative darkness. And the music is well in the tone. And in this level alone we get acquainted with the 3/4 of the enemies. The Anubis Soldiers are kinda hard to tackle if you let them shoot and can be quite threatening. The siren's a bit easier if you let her teleport close to you and give her the big bonk (what I do 85% of the time). The Grey Anubis are hard to tackle by default, they just keep throwing their axes and it quickly becomes hard unless you put a great distance in order to be safe. Lastly the Cobras are the worst enemies. Quick, Fire based attacks, splash damage, exreme rate of fire, and wide sweep. Clearly THE enemy of the whole of Egypt, they can maul you down in seconds, and the added burning effect with the patches made it even more devastating.

The lava room with all these enemies is nice. It looks well like a forge or something. Or maybe this is the tomb ? A Lava Tomb for originality ? We can see all those scarabs barring the route. Actually on my first attempt I passed them with some good wall jumping and reaching their origin point where it's safe but I stopped doing that afterwards. The walk way to the switch that opens the ceiling of the next room is cool. I like those big statues with fire pits up next to them. Looking at them both up close and in the distance makes the music even more fitting IMO. At the bottom with the water, the valuable 5th weapon. This area can easily be missed if you're too scared to fall or explore the water bassin just before.

Now the room with the scarab trap. I expected there'd be a trap there but thanks to Rusty I had the confirmation. The big treasure room is very nice, though it creates lag. Too bad we can't take any treasure but I guess it would have been kinda broken. (Like being able to buy a dozen Veyrons ?) Also it's very easy to get fall damage here if you walk arround too fast. So now we get the bracers which allow for getting shortcuts and secrets from special walls and infinite stamina. Clearly the infinite stamina is the best thing for the upcoming levels which are extremely open.

(Going to Sanctuary)/(Back with Super Sandals) We can get passed the scarabs more easily with (or without) the wall-jumping I used to do in the past. It's not the intended way to do it but I can't be arsed waiting for the feather artefact. The lava area is still inaccessible but it only boasts 0th gun and some other stuff, no big loss. Now that big room with pillars, the third nicest looking area of the level after the treasure and the first lava chamber. That Skorpion lady remains fairly easy thanks to the pillars as long as you're swift. It boasts good ammo arround the statues too, like on X64-2 > Exploration is rewarded. And first Rune Key, it's pretty much over now for me here.

Conclusion : So in overall, for a first (IMO first) level of the mission it's a good warm-up. It gives you a bunch of weapons and ammo to get you started, especially if you find the 1st secret, both easy to find and miss. It introduces the 3/4 of the enemies so it sets up the pace about them right away. It's kinda challenging though, the Sanctuary feels easier but I still find this to be the legitimate 1st step thanks to the infinite stamina, just my opinion. In aesthetics it matches its name of The Tomb with the overall darkness, mixing cave and temple structures and textures and with the treasure room too. It's also a fairly simple map as long as you take into account the fact you'll have to come back with the Super Sandals (unless you're a wall jumping maniac like me). Only the enemies make it challenging, especially the first lava room with all the enemies and the 3 Cobras near the switch. I still like it. It's one of my favorites places of the mission. It sets good first impressions for me about the mission. It sets up a good momentum.

User is offline   Rhaisher 

So, I'm in the middle of replaying the Egypt maps in order to find that last secret I left in Deep Waterwat but I'm unable to find it.

These are the ones I have as of now:

Spoiler

Have any of you found the one I'm missing?

Also, how many new artifcats are in this episode? I've found...

Spoiler

View PostRhaisher, on 12 April 2019 - 04:08 AM, said:

So, I'm in the middle of replaying the Egypt maps in order to find that last secret I left in Deep Waterwat but I'm unable to find it.

These are the ones I have as of now:

Spoiler

Have any of you found the one I'm missing?

Also, how many new artifcats are in this episode? I've found...

Spoiler

I'm affraid I don't remember ^^;

For the artefact you found I also only found this one and yet I dnclipped everywhere to find other things so I suspect this is the only new one of the episode >_>
Feels like they focused more on researches than artefacts.

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 12 April 2019 - 04:13 AM

User is offline   Loke 

I think you missed a crack in the wall in the chamber with the red scarab key. Check near the entrance door.

View PostLoke, on 12 April 2019 - 04:16 AM, said:

I think you missed a crack in the wall in the chamber with the red scarab key. Check near the entrance door.

A hint by the map's author himself! :lol:

Loke, your Egyptian maps are the most eye-appealing maps I've seen in a long time. I'm in love with that rocky cave bit of Deep Waterway.

Will we be seeing more of your work in EP4?

Cheers! :huh:

Edit: Yes, that is the one I was missing. Thank you! :lol:

This post has been edited by Rhaisher: 12 April 2019 - 05:19 AM

User is offline   Loke 

View PostRhaisher, on 12 April 2019 - 04:48 AM, said:

Loke, your Egyptian maps are the most eye-appealing maps I've seen in a long time. I'm in love with that rocky cave bit of Deep Waterway.

Thanks. The cave area were basically added in because I felt that the map needed some verticality and the fact that slopes, especially steep ones, are so much fun to mess around with. :lol:

View PostRhaisher, on 12 April 2019 - 04:48 AM, said:

Will we be seeing more of your work in EP4?

Oh yeah, definitely. Currently working on a map for Episode 4.

Let's go feeding back, everybody's very nice, come on an' paragraph with meeee !

_The Sanctuary : A nice big empty canyon right away. This is cool looking and directly reminds of Serious Sam's kind of environement. The music is also VERY fitting at the beginning like that. Personally I'm not a big fan of that music apart from the beginning and another section. It's just I like Egyptian music like that only when it's calm, not when it's upbeat, just my taste. 4th weapon if you had missed it which is nice, and much needed. A nice big statue I forgot the name with the 7th weapon right away, kinda generous but for some characters (like Highwire or Mikko) it's valuable. The first area is nice. Big, bright, spacious and nice with those pillar and statues. It's easy to go through too as long as you take the enemies one by one from your corridor. Straight away, those stairs give us some reminder to The Tomb IMO. As long as you use the walls at the entrance it's relatively easy to deal with the enemies. Though getting ambushed in the back as you climb up is another story when you don't know about it.

Going straight forward and we reach my favorite place. I like it a lot not only because of the overall aesthetics of it and the grand scale but also because of the verticality, I always liked verticality in levels, mostly because it's rare finding levels that have a lot of that. And the area is pretty easy since you got cover for the Skorpion Ladies, though you must not let them get close because they're worse than a Battlelord IMO. The plasma is devstating and the missiles are hard to dodge and also devastating. Then the platforming is very manageable. Now with the Super Sandals we acquire a super jump though what they don't tell you is that they also delete ALL fall damage ! Indeed this artefact will be your salvation because no more fall damage is a bliss.

Continuing to climb up reveals that the platforming to reach the top is actually tough. I mean the jumps are tight really, feels like the kind of thing Zaxtor would have done. But since we have no fall damage now it's forgiving at least. For every jump I land at the edge of the platform, except for the last 2 which are the easiests. As we climb up the place just looks prettier and prettier since we progressively see more of the surrounding landscape. Though we can't really see the other sections of the level which is sad (for performance's sake I guess). First key and it's kinda rough, getting sniped by 8 Anubis and assaulted by 3 or 4 Sirens O_o Good thing we are supplied with 8th weapon at this point. Geoffrey's Meltagun is usefull here, and Merlijn's fully upgraded Blunderbuss too. Good thing the Super Sandals remove fall damage otherwise this bit would have been unfair IMO. With this area and the first one, this level trully deserve its name of Sactuary.

(Going back to The Tomb)/(Going to Aquaducts)/(Back with the Mask) Thanks to the Mask we can reach the Super Lagg-O-Village. The absolute worst part of all because of those freaking lags >_< Even at 640 resolution it's almost unplayable, it completely ruins everything >_< So I will try to pretend this doesn't happen. So firstly the area looks very nice. Reminds me of some Serious Sam level. As for gameplay this is basically the Sniper Friendly place, I especially liked sniping folks with Merlijn's Compound Bow and Highwire's SVD. I can't really explore the insides of the place because it's much more advantageous to stick to the edge walls in order to keep our distances and have easy fights. Especially with those FUCKING LAGS GOD DAMNIT >_< !! Sorry.

Also nice to finally see some normal people in one of the houses. Speaking of which, I like the chambre in the secret place, it's well furnished compared to where the scientists were. Same deal with the place you emerge from and the one with the pillars. Then there is that place with the last colored key which is another element that makes the level deserve its name of Sanctuary. First time, when I heard enemies spawn I rushed back through the village because of the freaking ... But in the end there's nobody. Also with the patch it plays a bit better but it remains almost unplayable. Skorpion Lady is kinda easy since you can jump to attack from the water and if she comes to the edge, just staying at the bottom is enough. Now since the wall is no longer there I can go back up without resorting to my mastery of wall-jumping in order to get out of the pond (the hardest wall-jumping I ever did in this game). (Going to Inner Sanctuary) END.

Conclusion : So if it weren't for those freakginmpgshlblargh lags, this would be possibly my #1 favorite level of the Egypt batch but instead it will be another one. If we remove the lag we have a huge level that is fairly simple in its layout, the 3 areas are distinct and all play in a fairly different way. Corridor-Like, then Vertical Challenge, and then Rural Sniper Friendly. And all the aesthetics in the 3 areas clearly make the level deserve its name as I already said. My favorite area will remain the Vertical Challenge one for its gameplay and aesthetics. It's not the hardest part of the bunch of levels but it boasts its tough moments here and there. As for the music it fits very well despite it being not my favorite, I prefer the one from the Tomb in the overall. The level is well ballanced in supplies although still lacking in armor IMO (says he after finding a 200 one with the scientists). It is actually hard for me to complain about the level though what gets me to complain is the village area for 2 reasons. 1_ Mister L. 2_ You have to not be too close to the houses when sniping because there are invisible walls somehow unless you're using projectiles and one or two Anubis Soldiers are kinda glitched and invulnerable to hitscan unless you let them come closer. So in the end if I had to rank the levels this would be either in penultimate place or last place JUST because of Mister L. (it's silly I know but it just totally ruins everything at the second best moment T_T).

Guys we got a new problem here ! A random guy is posting tons of paragraphs !

_The Aquaducts : Starting in some nice corridors, with ammo for the main guns. I like the out door areas even though they don't boast much, apart from our first new slugs for the GP30 and the AK that goes with it as if you needed more indication as to their use (thank the Super Sandal for getting them so early). Music is nice and fitting too. Though not a fan, it still acompanies the action well. Like the previous level. First room shows already you need to explore 2 areas before the third one. That room is very nice, easy to fall in the water though, but the Super Sandals help. It's kinda challenging since you got a surprise Cobra if you rush along with 4 Anubis and 2 Sirens. Basically you always gotta be carefull and bet on either long-range or very short combat in these levels.

Here there is my only complain with the level > the underwater tunnels just go EVERYWHERE and it's VERY easy to get lost or emerge directly in the middle of enemies. My sense of orientation worked well the first time but these tunnels made me backtrack without noticing quite a bunch. Fortunately the keys in the level are always shown prominently so you know what you need to do even if you stumble into an unexpected room. I advise new players to explore the ducts only AFTER having explored the 2 areas beforehand. I take the right section first most of the time.

Close quarters Cobra = the proof of what I said about them being Extremely Deadly !. Then I take the left. The big room has nothing particular apart from the usual good architecture. It's the easiest room of the level because, if you stay on the top floor, you can pick up all the Anubis Soldiers from the other floors without them retaliating for some unknown ROR reason. Also for the other ones we got both walls and distance so I don't need more to be satisfied. We are also supplied with more 5th and 8th gun ammo, this is the recurring thing in these Egypt levels. We are well supplied with ammo of all kinds in reasonable proportions and it basically allows us to fully enjoy the potentials of our characters and their arsenal. It's also a big test of performance for your weapon sets as well. Then I like the room with the key. It looks like an altar of some sort, still well designed and a good looker and it will be recurring for every key. However they're always a challenge because of those Grey Anubis that spamm their axes and the assault of Cobras and Sirens afterwards. Good thing we are well supplied with strong weapons.

On the other end, during the backtrack to the central area, we can see another area of the same style but brown and with 2 floors. Nothing to say about it apart from the usual thing and the fact you find the new Flippers here. I first thought it was one of the artefacts, I didn't expect it to be a new piece of equipment. It's cool that it keeps respawning in subsequent playthroughs because it is VERY usefull when you don't have the Mask yet !. Other area now. Corridors be dreadfull because of Cobras again, and their splash damage. I like the enemies but they're really hard to tackle, they keep spamming you with attacks and the Cobras and Skorpion Ladies are the worst in that regard. Key already, a bit easier than the first one I'd say. However the Skorpion Lady in the next corridor is a different story.

Now is the one place I kinda don't like in the level. The big area with the pool. It's really nice as usual but the 2 Cobras hidden behind the statues make it hard because you HAVE to get out at some point and even if you cheesed out the distant enemies you forcefully get assaulted from everywhere. At least it's not unfair, you really have the time to plan the thing out but still, don't like having Cobras at 2 feet away. And Just for a secret, and a duct that leads to other stuff. As usual, exploration is rewarded though this scene may make the reward not worth the risk depending on what happens. Like I said the only place I didn't like (because of enemies). After that it's just corridors with the recurring patterns about the enemies and the nice aesthetics of the rooms.

Final corridor is nice, very well designed. The fight is hard though because of the Skorpion Lady but somehow if I fall in the water up to my neck without submerging they all become tamer and easy peasy so I won't complain this time. With Rusty the final room gives us a spirit who tells you something about the next level that got me like "Wow there's gonna be a big underwater boss or something" but no in the end ... Also it gives you a Dartgun for the occasion but I never used it actually since there's no underwater enemies. Shooting from beneath the water maybe but then you got grenades for that so, not much of a point there unfortunately ... END.

Conclusion : So in overall I'd say that, despite what I may have said, I liked this level. I'm willing to place it in my favorites but then we're pretty much going to put everything in the list ^^. The level in general is more classic compared to the first two, as in you go from corridors to corridors and reach big areas which conclude each sections. Thanks to the infinite stamina it's the pacing of the level that make me like it particularly. As usual there are the aesthetics, not as impressive as the other 2 levels but you gotta be reasonable sometimes. All served by a music that is very fitting, as usual not a fan but it blends in way too well to complain about it. The level is harder than the other 2 because of the fact you're closer to the enemies and you're ambushed at times, especially when there's a key. Personally I don't like very close ambushes like that but since you can expect it every time now I'm guessing it's okay. The complains I would have are that it kinda lacks in armors. There are lots of health fortunately but armor is more valuable. And those aquaducts are a fair source of confusion and potential drowning if you don't know what you're doing.

It wasn't too problematic thanks to my orientation but it just made me do some tedious, unvoluntary backtracks. At least you can stumbled across an unexpected secret. As usual, exploration is rewarded. And TabMap still works well, even the layout of the water tunnels appears relatively easy to read. This level alone is the proof, as if there were a need for it after X64, that the episode is harder than the previous two, like really. This level, along with The Tomb, shows that Expert difficulty really deserves its name and it makes self-proclaimed Expert players such as myself satisfied. I played directly on Expert without knowing the first time and I managed to handle that level fairly because it put my skills to the test and Rusty's guns were put to very good use. That's pretty much what made me like the level the most the first time. The fact it really puts your skills to the test without helping you too much thanks to the VERY numerous health items but not overabundant either. I'm loosing my tracks right now. In short, it's the gameplay that I liked the most, the challenge, more than the aesthetics which are still there no worries, and only the ducts are a small source of complain.

User is offline   Solais 

In my playthrough, the Aquaducts were the first I tried, and is it me, or this is actually the intended first section out of the four? This is the only one where I didn't need any of the additional artifacts to actually proceed and get both the key and the artifact. Felt like all the other sections were built on top of this one.

View PostSolais, on 15 April 2019 - 12:00 AM, said:

In my playthrough, the Aquaducts were the first I tried, and is it me, or this is actually the intended first section out of the four? This is the only one where I didn't need any of the additional artifacts to actually proceed and get both the key and the artifact. Felt like all the other sections were built on top of this one.

Now you're talking it's true it's the area that requires the least artefacts but it always helps having some. The way I do it, with the Bracers and Sandals, it allows me to have pretty much everything in one sweep while you would need to come back later without them >_>

Personally I do the Tomb first because it's short and gives Infinite Stamina which is a blast. If I wall jump I can finish it right away. Then I do Sanctuary for the Sandals and finding powerfull weapons. After that the Aquaducts becomes doable in its entirety and with fair help from the 5th and 8th gun.

That's what I like so much with these levels. 100% non-linearity makes almost evey possibility a valid one (as long as you don't attempt the Catacombs straight away) ^^

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 15 April 2019 - 01:05 AM

User is offline   Solais 

Yeah, I just love the non-linearity as well!

Actually I wonder if we'll ever see the artifacts in some way in the future. Maybe they can become mystic research projects that give some diminished effects, like double stamina or slight gliding ability. Especially the stamina bit I feel could work, because there are some levels in this TC that are really huge, and having much more stamina than the default one would be a godsend in cutting down the travel time.

View PostSolais, on 15 April 2019 - 01:05 AM, said:

Yeah, I just love the non-linearity as well!

Actually I wonder if we'll ever see the artifacts in some way in the future. Maybe they can become mystic research projects that give some diminished effects, like double stamina or slight gliding ability. Especially the stamina bit I feel could work, because there are some levels in this TC that are really huge, and having much more stamina than the default one would be a godsend in cutting down the travel time.

IMO Jblade won't add them as a research projects to unlock them for use in levels outside the Egypt mission: they will break the pace intended for those missions.

Also, in the Egypt mission you find a research project (using M.I.A. gun - I'd always use it as a temporary weapon in normal playthroughs and shoot every new enemy) which enlarges a character's stamina. It's likely we will see more of those researchs as the development of the game progresses.

Moreover... @TheDragonLiner: Have you been able to fill all the blanks in the loadout terminal? I'm interested in the new kind of grenades. Do you find more of them in later EP3 missions or are only found in the Egypt mission? - Because if this is the case, they don't appear as a research project... =/

View PostRhaisher, on 15 April 2019 - 02:10 AM, said:

Moreover... @TheDragonLiner: Have you been able to fill all the blanks in the loadout terminal? I'm interested in the new kind of grenades. Do you find more of them in later EP3 missions or are only found in the Egypt mission? - Because if this is the case, they don't appear as a research project... =/

I think I told about it a while ago. I filled all the blanks except for Cryo Slugs and I am as mystified as you are >_> It seems the 2 new slugs and the Incendiary Shells are the only new alternate ammo. It seems there was to be Tec Bolts (whatever it means) but not implemented yet.

There is also that last gun for Micky but it's not implemented either.

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 15 April 2019 - 02:59 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

There's an unexplained mechanic in the game regarding weapon size and sprinting stamina - the stamina bar changes colour depending on the size of the weapon you have; a blue/green bar is normal stamina whereas a red bar means it's a heavier weapon that drains faster (and a really big gun you can't even use whilst sprinting)

View PostJblade, on 15 April 2019 - 02:57 AM, said:

There's an unexplained mechanic in the game regarding weapon size and sprinting stamina - the stamina bar changes colour depending on the size of the weapon you have; a blue/green bar is normal stamina whereas a red bar means it's a heavier weapon that drains faster (and a really big gun you can't even use whilst sprinting)

Yeah... it was kind of obvious for me. :lol:

I always sprint with light weapons. Except when my sprinting/dash is intended to avoid a bullet. :lol:

User is offline   Solais 

Yeah, I did notice the sprinting mechanics based on weapon weight, and I do sprint using light weapons all the time as well.

What I meant for the Egypt artifacts wasn't that they would be added as research as-is, with their effects retained completely, but as more diminished. Like, I dunno, at the start of Ep4, you get the research, and it's explained that while they remained dormant after the defeat of Le Sang, researching them would enable characters to benefit from highly reduced versions of their effects, so an overall increase in stamina (instead of infinite), a very slight, not-completely-broken glide ability, improved lung capacity, etc. (Mind, I don't think I found all the research yet, so probably there are already a few research similar to this.)

I couldn't unlock the Cryo Slugs for research either, btw.

So, this time I chose to play The Library directly in Micky Begins, just to realize that if I don't go to the Main Area Assault I won't be able to get...
Spoiler

So, after acquiring the master key from the boss, I realized that you can land on top of a lamp (falling from the rooftop access) and, from there, to a balcony which is past the alien wall spawned after the battle. This way lets you go to Main Area Assault even if you took the right wire.

It is obvious that the right wire is intended for shortage of the level if you have already completed it before and are replaying it on a higher difficulty, but you could consider not dropping that wall. This two areas have that 'non-linear' feel to it and this could give you the option to visit Main Area Assault if you chose the right wire without having to start the level anew. - Yeah, this happens after the release of the virus, so, for the sake of the rushing effect this is no good. Maybe, instead of having you blocked inside the area past the boss until you release it, you could let it open so you can backtrack and explore the other area once you grabbed the master key.

Anyway, this post is to let you know that there is a possibility to back track after releasing the virus. :lol:

Micky's did an amazing job in this whole mission. This is my second playthrough of the level and, once you're familiar with the distributions, is really enjoyable.

One question though: there is a single, movable barrel which my guess is that it is there to let you reach the secret of this map. But I've been searching throughly and found nothing. Is it necessary to reach it or is it just a mere deco? - It disappears from your hands if you try to cross that corridor with the light reflections on the ground, BTW. I had to grab and drop the barrel in a way that it didn't disappear.

Thank youuuu! :lol:

Don't be a starver, talk to a feeder !
(too much catchphrase frenzy ...)

Rhai, there is no need for a barrel to find a secret. It's behind something in a Triangle shaped room ^_-

_Deep Waterways : Now this level. At first I had trouble because you've got 4 ways accessible right away and I don't really like it having many ways that I can go deep into at once like that but somehow, on my first attempt I had been lucky and managed to make a good way. So this is the most peacefull level of them all IMO, and I like it. I'll go through my usual route here. Firstly a gigantic cave. There's nothing to find in the water unfortunately, this level is the exception to the "rewarding exploration" thing we've seen because there are many large areas like that but which boast nothing. Good thing we have the flippers to make the waters less tedious to navigate. I'm not lying but the heavy underwater emphasis, and the music kinda remind me of Ecco the Dolphin somehow, please don't ask me why I just like the games.

SOOOO that big area. Doesn't boast much apart from some interesting visuals as your climbing up and facing Anubis Soldiers in various configurations. We've got a fair pacing to reach the top IMO. Its kinda long actually but the regular enemies help not getting bored. This portion of the level is the perfect occasion to try out the new slugs and Incendiary Shells IMO. We end up reaching a nice looking temple, though we have to get there later so backtracking time. I'll just mention something > The rope and the ladders become ridiculously fast to climb up thanks to mashing Jump with the Super Sandals. The biggest rope of the entire game, climbed in barely 5 seconds ! ZOOP !!

On the other side we reach one of the prettier looking rooms of the level, and also the easiest IMO thanks to both cover and relative distance. I like how it looks mainly because, just like the sarting area, it really conveys that feeling that you're in a damp, very deep, underground where nobody went in ages. With the vines, the aesthetics, the relative darkness despite the torches, and the music that blends in very well. Pushing the button, I first thought it would remove the bars right under the end of the corridor but no. Also those ducts got me fearing they'd be as problematic as in the previous level but no in the end.

So going to the otherside of the maze now. Another area that confirms the exception to the rule before. Still looks nice, very big and classy and with the same commentary as just before. Though it kinda looks empty IMO. A challenging fight but once you get out of the central place it's actually easy as long as you keep moving. And those 20 Flechette Shells came in handy there, just like the Incendiary ones earlier. Key and AT LAST we get the 0th weapon, it was about time man ! Fight, same commentary but the Cobras are harder since they tend to "spray and pray". Also I spy a secret but I got no idea how you get inside. Back to the temple from before. The key place is just as nice as the others, if not nicer actually with the slight opening on the outside. Though the usual ambush is still very hard because of the Cobras.

Then we explore the big doors from the starting area. Nice touch with the bubbles upon opening the door. Getting out of the pond is VERY tough if you don't have projectiles because you're totally surrounded and they can hit you from the surface if you're not deep enough, kinda unfair IMO. Then the next room is the opposite, it's very easy because you can take out the enemy from underneath with no pain because they don't retaliate for some ROR reasons. Also a secret gives you a potentially usefull Atomic Bomb but then where's the gun for it ? Probably in a secret I missed.

So now we FINALLY get THE most useful item, The Mask. Allows you to swim indefinitely, it's SSSSSSSSSSPLENDID !!! Now we can go check the other big door. This place confused me on my first play (actually that's what got me to find the secret) because the small shaft at the top of the center really didn't look obvious to me. And it's hard to navigate inside it as well because of too many turns. At least it makes it clear that you must not go there if you don't have the Mask. The place looks nice though, especially thanks to the fancy new water effects on the ceiling and walls. We end up in the penultimate room which is just as nice for the same reasons. Fight is okay thanks to distance and cover. However once you take the second Rune Key it's a different story.

Firstly when those Sirens start getting in the water you can't tell if you can hit them or not (especially if you're at the surface but they barely submerged) and that Skorpion Lady. Yet it's not the worst. And at this point we are so stuffed it should be okay. Then we get to that big area with all the sunlight and everything. Feels satisfying after having spent a good 20 minutes (or more) worth of swimming around. And it makes it feel like it's the end too for that very reason. However I really didn't like the surprise Skorpion Lady this close. Good thing you can hide in the pond next to her and use the 5th weapon but when you play for the first time you almost mandatorily die, hence why I don't like it. Besides it seems more resistant than the average. Usually it's 5 Geoffrey grenades but it took almost 10 here. (Going back to the Sanctuary)/(Going to Inner Sanctuary) END.

Conclusion : So clearly if I had to rank my favorite levels then this would undoubtedly be #2. Though I don't know yet who is #1 ... The main reason why I like the level is that it basically mixes the strong pacing and challenge aspects of the previous levels but mixes them with more ballance IMO and with heavy underwater emphasis. And yes I like heavily underwater level. Especially when you get an item that allows you to swim fast and indefinitely. And there aren't any freaking ducts to potentially confuse you this time. And the theme of a very deep and flooded underground section is very nicely handled, especially in the early portions. And the peaceful music is on par with the atmosphere and the slight water noises we can hear. It REALLY deserves its name of Deep Water Ways. Like I said it somehow reminds me of Ecco for some reason. Also that zooming up the rope (and higher) in 3 seconds with the Super Sandals, mashing jump, just never gets old :lol: ZOOP !! The fact exploration isn't as rewarding as before doesn't bother me much though since we're still well supplied as it is though maybe a tiny bit not enough on the health department. It really lacks armor, just like before but a bit of health too. That's my only complain actually, a very slight need for health and armor. Otherwise it's my 2nd favorite level and I can't find anything more to add to it.

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 15 April 2019 - 11:10 PM

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 15 April 2019 - 11:05 PM, said:

Rhai, there is no need for a barrel to find a secret. It's behind something in a Triangle shaped room ^_-

Found it. Thanks for the hint. :lol:

Anyway, I just completed Neutrino again and, maybe it was just a casuality, but I was scanning the area where the scientis where doing the astronomy research and a message 'mission info acquired' appeared on top of the screen. IIRC this didn't appear on my first run. Does it unlock anything special?

Also, 3/5 secrets. Snowfall's levels are tricky because there is so much deco... :lol:
Managed to acquire a new speciality weapon though, so I think that is the most important.

One last thing. Is it worth buying the sports car from Garmid? What does it do? I'll have to save a lot in order to acquire it, but if it's rewarding I'll have to think about it.

User is offline   Jblade 

It does nothing apart from sit in the base - it is literally there as a sort of 'victory lap' of the mod, when you've bought and done nearly everything possible :lol:

View PostJblade, on 16 April 2019 - 04:13 AM, said:

It does nothing apart from sit in the base - it is literally there as a sort of 'victory lap' of the mod, when you've bought and done nearly everything possible :lol:

I'll think about buying it after I finish my Armaggeddon playthrough of EP3. :huh:

I'm still finding research projects I think I missed from previous episodes. Oh, well. It is REALLY satisfying to find a research project. :lol:

By the way I got a fair bunch of stuff to report if I may.

1_ Mikko's SMG has a palette issue when reloading in colored areas >> Attached Image: duke0000.png
2_ British Lesson N°? regarding bionic arms >> Attached Image: duke0002.png
3_ Micky's 7th gun can be wielded with the Shield if we select it from a weapon that allows it >> Attached Image: duke0004.png
4_ The Suppressor of James's MP9 is cut when wielding the Shield >> Attached Image: duke0005.png
5_ James doesn't have his bionic arm with the Missile Launcher >> Attached Image: duke0006.png
6_ Snowfall's 7th gun has the same issue as Micky's >> Attached Image: duke0009.png
BTW I remind that when dual wielding Snowfall's pistols, the left one doesn't dammage armor and supernatural enemies. Same deal with Zaxtor's RC-AP SMG.

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 16 April 2019 - 06:17 AM

I've just discovered what that 'mission information acquired' from Neutrino was: Charon. :lol:

Since I've seen posts mentioning it I won't tag it as spoiler.

I loved the minimalistic feel to it. Like: this area is intended to get a research (a couple if you take THAT special weapon with you :lol:) and that's all.

Reminded me of a feature I loved from an old RPG called Terranigma: there were areas in the world map which were accessible (aside from towns, dungeons, etc.) but only contained items or other valuables.

On an other topic, I've got 3 missing speciality weapons. IIRC, Jblade told TDL that there were a couple not implemented in the game and were meant for EP4.

I have a devastator replacement left for James. A RPG replacement left for Zaxtor and a... Freeze Gun (IIRC) replacement left for Micky. Any of those might I have forgotten to take from a map in EP3 or have been added in previous levels?

User is offline   John Brown 

Wow, it never occurred to me to bring the MIA gun to Charon (the first time I played it, when it wouldn't let me draw my pistol, I figured you wouldn't be allowed to use any weapons but the ones provided in the level). Thanks for indirectly bringing my research count one step closer to completion.

Now I'm only missing Personnel 14 and 19, Equipment 21 and 22, Weapons 7 and 8, Base 6, and Dojo 5 (and I recall most of those simply not being implemented into the mod yet). I also now have 611k after buying that research, so I could go get the car. Or, I could equip everybody with armor, energy shields, and beam swords on every mission the next time I play through the whole thing. Decisions, decisions...

EDIT: Zaxtor's RPG replacement is in an Ep 2 level (added when Ep 3 released), and it is awesome.
Spoiler

The Devastator replacement for James... he has three in total, which one specifically are you missing? One of them is in Ep 2 (added with the Ep 3 update), another in Ep 3, and I forgot but I think one is buyable from the shop.

This post has been edited by John Brown: 16 April 2019 - 04:41 PM

Turn on the cameras for the feed back !
(I'm gonna do every pun if this keeps up)

BTW Personel 14 is implemented. 19 Isn't. Equipment 21 and 22 are the new slugs you find in Egypt. The weapon and Dojo ones aren't implemented. Base 6 Doesn't exist somehow.
And Rhai, you can fill in all the blanks except for Micky's last gun which isn't implemented yet.

_The Inner Sanctuary : So the beginning portion is kinda baren but nice. Then we emerge in the desert. It's also kinda baren but it's a desert after all. Nice to have a pond of water though I'm wondering how it doesn't evaporate ... Also we're given a good deal of 2nd and 4th gun ammo and it will be needed if it's your only Sniper Friendly gun. Opening the door onto another Serious Sam styled area. EXTREMELY wide and open ! A BIG change from what we're used to see really. Just like the village from earlier, this is THE Sniper Friendly area. And it doesn't seem too challenging thanks to the openness and the availability of covers here and there. And the most threatening enemies, the Cobras, are so far away that it's okay. I always take it slow and snipy but it looks like charging into isn't that punishing. Besides one of those altars give you a Sphere just in case and you have Amulets near the ponds of water, which bring a nice touch BTW. Though ... Sharks ? Shouldn't there be Crocodiles in pure cliché Egyptian tradition instead ?

Anyway we're also nicely supplied in 7th and 0th ammo here and it's a good thing considering what's coming up. This is also our first, and only, alternate 7th gun ammo as well. I almost forgot to mention that this place also gives us one of the best views on the skybox which is simple but effective. Those 2 giant statues in the distance and the pyramids just never get old. One last thing about this place is that, taking the shooting stance from the altars is really THE sniping experience, and this place also is THE place where I can really enjoy using Geoffrey's 0th gun's alternate fire. I wonder where the sand, coming from the 2 switches, came from ... In terms of navigation it's not as overwhelming as it may seem. Especially since the view is so open, you can hardly miss the switches in the distance (I didn't at least). And there's nothing to explore for (another exception to the rule) so you really have to be bad-willing to miss them.

Brief note on the music. It's nice and fitting as always, though I kinda prefer the previous one actually. It also conveys some sort of "serious" tone, like something big's gonna happen but not that much happen in the end. Still blends in nice. Now inside the temple. Looks as good as ever, and distinct from what we've seen so far. It also gives me some more Serious Sam feelings. LeSang making references to Exhumed thanks to the patch. Though I still can't understand who the hell they're talking about with that warrior who fought Apophis ... Who the hell is this ? What is it ? What game is it ? Anyway, third Rune Key ... well that was easy ... 2 Skorpion Ladies ! Well at least we got lots of covers this time and the ponds of water to help AND the bases of the pillars are just high enough so you can hit them but they won't retaliate. Apart from the ones in Deep Water Ways I keep finding ways to kill them easilly ^^. Besides they're super resistant wow ! More than 10 shots from Geoffrey's GL WTF ! It's double a Battlelord ! Bah I almost never use the 5th guns against LeSang so I can afford the waste.
Now circling arround (or maybe squarring arround ?) for more stuff to find. Looking upward makes me curious to go higher because it looks quite cool. In the end the exception to the rule no longer applies. It's a nice thing the Bracers have been removed because you're pretty much screwed if you picked the extra ones up. Also I've been complaining about armor ... between the Sphere and the 200 armor in the temple, I think I won't complain this time. Lastly a teleporters to avoid having to square arround to the other side and/or go back to the beginning, nice. (Going to the Catacombs now). END.

Conclusion : So in the end. If it weren't for the severe lag ruining everything in The Sanctuary this level would pretty much be striving for 1st place. It's huge, VERY nice, gives more variety to the mix both in terms of design, aesthetics and gameplay. I like the real sniping skills test it provides. It has a sense of "out-of-proportion" that satisfies my taste for it. It may be the absolute easiest (and shortest) level of the whole of Egypt but it just has EVERYTHING for me to like it. EVERYTHING. It's simple, I have ZERO complain about this level, and I'm serious. Not even the semi-surprise spawning of 2 Skorpion Ladies for reasons mentioned earlier. And the patch removed the screwy bracers which were my ONLY potential source of complain. ............. Well okay I guess I can say it's kinda too short, but it's really just out of default. There's nothing much to say really, because it's short and I got no real complain. I believe it's Micky who did this level ? Kuddos man because working with such wide open areas isn't as easy as the usual interiors, towns, bases and corridors. If we could have a map of an Airport in the same vein as this one then I would be in Heaven :lol:. (*messes up with the episode filters and starts drooling*)

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 16 April 2019 - 10:35 PM

User is offline   Solais 

Wait, Charon? Is there an extra mission in Ep3? I must find it! (So that's why I never found that "flying in space area" from the trailer...)

(Also, from some CON digging, I see that there is a Base 6 research planned, but it's not implemented yet.)

Edit: Heh yeah, the large exteriors and the fact that the levels actually use textures from Serious Sam really does make those Sanctuary levels feel like Serious Sam. Too much so, I was actually expecting Kamikazes and huge battles. :lol:

This post has been edited by Solais: 17 April 2019 - 12:46 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming :lol:

Look for Charon in Neutrino - it's in the lower section of the facility, around the astronomy research area.

View PostSolais, on 17 April 2019 - 12:33 AM, said:

Edit: Heh yeah, the large exteriors and the fact that the levels actually use textures from Serious Sam really does make those Sanctuary levels feel like Serious Sam. Too much so, I was actually expecting Kamikazes and huge battles. :lol:

Expecting a big fight was my reaction for the Boss's level ^^

BTW I got 2 other things to report.

1_ I think there's a "thing" missing here >> Attached Image: duke0000.png
2_ A palette error with Zaxtor's gun when in Egypt >> Attached Image: duke0002.png

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 17 April 2019 - 02:45 AM

View PostJohn Brown, on 16 April 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

Wow, it never occurred to me to bring the MIA gun to Charon (the first time I played it, when it wouldn't let me draw my pistol, I figured you wouldn't be allowed to use any weapons but the ones provided in the level). Thanks for indirectly bringing my research count one step closer to completion.

Now I'm only missing Personnel 14 and 19, Equipment 21 and 22, Weapons 7 and 8, Base 6, and Dojo 5 (and I recall most of those simply not being implemented into the mod yet). I also now have 611k after buying that research, so I could go get the car. Or, I could equip everybody with armor, energy shields, and beam swords on every mission the next time I play through the whole thing. Decisions, decisions...

EDIT: Zaxtor's RPG replacement is in an Ep 2 level (added when Ep 3 released), and it is awesome.
Spoiler

The Devastator replacement for James... he has three in total, which one specifically are you missing? One of them is in Ep 2 (added with the Ep 3 update), another in Ep 3, and I forgot but I think one is buyable from the shop.

Save the money, John. If you really want to buy the car keep playing until you reach 1000k or so and then buy it.

Maybe it is just me having a 'saving' mind, but as you can see new and stronger research projects are getting more and more expensive. It would be a good idea to keep some in your data for EP4. - That's what I always do.

Thanks for the info on the speciality weapons. :lol:

User is offline   Solais 

Alright, found Charon. Short, but really cool level! Smart use of the scuba trooper from Alien Armageddon as well.

Also, continued my Normal playthrough... it's actually a lot more easier than I remember, I guess now that I know the game better, I know how to prepare and handle enemies. I wonder if there's any research I'm still missing though, the only one I know about that I don't yet have is the new AMC transport, I think I MIA'd every enemy type too.

Edit: Actually, is it me, or the Flying Drones (like those on the Hong Kong levels) no longer attack? I remember in 3.0, they had at least two attacks, but since 3.1, they just fly around and do nothing except sometimes getting stuck on the player.

This post has been edited by Solais: 17 April 2019 - 11:56 AM

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options