• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Poison Heart  "Snow city / Xmas / hi-tech"

User is offline   underTaker 

View PostForge, on 26 February 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

get a beta-tester, rookie

Me:
https://en.meming.world/images/en/thumb/1/17/Monkey_Puppet.jpg/300px-Monkey_Puppet.jpg

But about the map - absolutely loved it, though little green fuckers kept my heart rate at way too high levels :lol:

User is offline   ck3D 

Thanks man, stoked you enjoyed it. That's kind of type of adrenaline rush I was hoping the 'little green fuckers' would give the player, so that every counter would be a 'oh shit!' kind of moment. I sort of feel like the average Duke enemy is never strong enough to carry such a weight anymore unless in particularly creative set-ups, and the monsters who had the most of that type of potential (i.e.. Battlelords), players learn to tame a long time ago. So I was hoping those wouldn't just be a nuisance but also make for frenetic challenges.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

I liked your map a lot. I enjoyed exploring this colorful city with lots of small details. What I liked the most was looking through the windows to the outside; great views.

Difficulty was a bit excessive in the power station area. Not a big problem, but I couldn't pass it without saving-loading a lot. :D

Great to see it works on classic renderer, that's the cherry on top, what makes the map perfect.

And now some questions...

Spoiler

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostPerro Seco, on 11 July 2019 - 02:13 AM, said:

I liked your map a lot. I enjoyed exploring this colorful city with lots of small details. What I liked the most was looking through the windows to the outside; great views.

Difficulty was a bit excessive in the power station area. Not a big problem, but I couldn't pass it without saving-loading a lot. :D

Great to see it works on classic renderer, that's the cherry on top, what makes the map perfect.

And now some questions...

Spoiler

Thanks a lot for your feedback, Perro Seco. Glad you liked the map so much.

Regarding your questions:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by ck3D: 11 July 2019 - 12:02 PM

Wow, really great map, Aymeric! Finally got the right mood to give it a try. Played in 4:37, after an hour or so of learning the map. I've recorded a gameplay video, where the level is completed using a possibly non-intended shortcut. Actually, fighting the flawed game physics was the primary challenge for speedrunning, since many places feel very cramped and raise the tension with sudden explosions. But I like the top-notch design and diverse layout, the overall flow and feel is reminding me of "It Lives" by Gambini a lot, spruced up with christmas-theme decorations. I like the original creative ideas you've put into the map, such as modified enemies and custom keycards. Maybe slimer eggs are overkill though.

This post has been edited by Jan Satcitananda: 28 November 2019 - 11:16 PM

---

This post has been edited by Jan Satcitananda: 28 November 2019 - 11:13 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

Hey Jan, thanks for the feedback and wow, nice one! Yeah, that shortcut was obviously never meant to be the intentional route, but I was aware of its existence and quite deliberately left it in, because I like the idea of 'rewarding' the player for giving something different a try, the original game did that quite a lot IIRC e.g.. the possibility of entering the cinema through that crack in E1L1, or allowing the player earlier access to stuff if they managed to retain some jetpack from earlier levels. Sometimes that doesn't break the map and actually makes for a cool bonus. By using this one the player misses out on a good third of the level (and one of my favorite parts), but they most likely won't find it on their first ever run and get confused, and they're also going to need to work for it a bit if they aren't an experienced Duker so if they manage to make it up there on their own, to me it's fair game. Even though not a speed runner myself, I'm always intrigued by seeing how people learn to exploit a setting in general and basically reinterpret it, so I like leaving 'possibilities' out in the open in my maps every once in a while, as long as the order of the intended, basic key-based progression isn't thrown out of the window. Sub 5 minutes I wasn't exactly expecting people to get like this though, I'm impressed - notably by how you kept all the street troops alive, the amount of crossfire you must have survived out in the open, all the way up to the boss fight must have been quite insane.

I think you're also the first to bring up the different colored keycards, that was a really fun little absurdity to implement for me, I've thought of ways to make that effect look a bit better since then but I guess the hud will always make such a situation look confusing as one has to rely on (fairly cheap) illusions for that 'effect', which can't fool the game itself so the hud will always give the 'true' color of the card away, ah well.

Also yeah, now I think the slimers suck, most likely won't use those again. The pipebomb-vulnerable newbeasts, on the other hand, I might recycle as fighting them can actually be fun.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 29 November 2019 - 07:45 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostJan Satcitananda, on 28 November 2019 - 11:10 PM, said:

Wow, really great map, Aymeric! Finally got the right mood to give it a try. Played in 4:37, after an hour or so of learning the map. I've recorded a gameplay video, where the level is completed using a possibly non-intended shortcut. Actually, fighting the flawed game physics was the primary challenge for speedrunning, since many places feel very cramped and raise the tension with sudden explosions. But I like the top-notch design and diverse layout, the overall flow and feel is reminding me of "It Lives" by Gambini a lot, spruced up with christmas-theme decorations. I like the original creative ideas you've put into the map, such as modified enemies and custom keycards. Maybe slimer eggs are overkill though.

Really Impressive!

LOL @ 1:25 i did not realize that, that trick/stunt was possible, nor that spot at 3:07, very nice.

User is offline   ck3D 

Was just watching again, extra points for triggering the semi-secret "I think I'll climb a board" joke Duke quote upon climbing atop of that white board in the first office to reach the air duct above (0:48), all the while speedrunning the map. It's an easy one to miss even on a casual play because the lo-tagged sector is so thin, if one doesn't land exactly onto the white board the game tends to miss the quote. Kept it like that on purpose, so it's probably another one of those jokes most people probably won't spot or get. And those who will most likely won't agree on the levels of funny.

edit - there's also that 'mom' poster in the serial killer's den which is just the 'wow' magazine texture flipped and implies that the part of the serial killer's issues stem from his Oedipus' complex.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 07 December 2019 - 08:12 AM

View Postck3D, on 07 December 2019 - 06:39 AM, said:

Was just watching again, extra points for triggering the semi-secret "I think I'll climb a board" joke Duke quote upon climbing atop of that white board in the first office to reach the air duct above (0:48), all the while speedrunning the map. It's an easy one to miss even on a casual play because the lo-tagged sector is so thin, if one doesn't land exactly onto the white board the game tends to miss the quote. Kept it like that on purpose, so it's probably another one of those jokes most people probably won't spot or get. And those who will most likely won't agree on the levels of funny.

edit - there's also that 'mom' poster in the serial killer's den which is just the 'wow' magazine texture flipped and implies that the part of the serial killer's issues stem from his Oedipus' complex.

lol, great pun on the original Duke's lines, didn't actually notice first that it was linked to the actual board in the room. I appreciated the 'mom' joke though, some creative use of the artwork. =D

User is offline   Seb Luca 

Well. It is done ! What madness, my god! :lol: A pure "try-and-die" game festival !

An interminable level and a difficulty pushed to the maximum, I had to die 9 million times (at least). But I see a great knowledge of the gameplay and mechanics of Duke3D to successfully build such precise and timed traps in such a large site :)

I note an ingenious use of sprites and textures for many original constructions (like cars, or the giant slime mouth). The whole is sometimes not very harmonious because of the colors too garish, but I understand however that it is necessary to deal with the limitations of the game. Great work with shadows and lights, too.
When the cycloboss appeared, I had to pass the game in 30 FPS and deactivate the Polymers et cie, otherwise the display was lagging (and yet I have 16 GB of RAM) <_<
Also: I have noticed many sprite problems which "flash"; because they are placed one on the other and/or too against the wall (the most recurrent example is the halo sprite that you place over the switches).

This universe was very cleverly constructed, to be varied and full of surprises. Never, while playing Duke3D, have I felt so often in danger :blink: You managed to create a real nightmare, but to balance it enough to make it traversable. The items are well distributed and their quantity is rationed so as to be sufficient but forcing caution.

Well done! :) It's a very impressive job!

This post has been edited by Seb Luca: 12 January 2020 - 01:09 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

Thanks for your feedback, Seb!

You got me thinking (it only took twenty years) about how I keep skipping the testing of my maps in anything else but classic mode before I release them. Personally I grew up with the classic mode so spontaneously, it's the default setting to me but people obviously have their own mode of preference and it shouldn't be hard to tweak a map so that it runs rather 'universally' so to speak, without observable issues.

Saying this because the sprite flickering thing doesn't happen in the mode I use, with the way I'm placing sprites. When I don't set them atop of each other, that's when I get the flickering instead. In video playthroughs, I've also observed that a lot of my cars using a certain texture look way off (it just gets misaligned height-wise in game in certain modes only, looking as though something had been changing the orientation on them) when they look perfectly fine to me in Mapster and in game... in classic mode. I might have always tried (to not forget to) get around that issue by specifying that the level had been designed, and only been tested for classic mode in my .txt files to begin with, but maybe that's a cop out. What I do know is, I'm a bit nervous about the idea of designing according to other rendering settings than everything classic in fear that I might in turn break the look of things in classic mode. If there is a documented list of the differences and guidelines to study whilst working with every renderer for compatibility, I've never come across it.

I'm glad you liked the map; if you found that one hellish, die-and-retry style and liked the hectic aspect, I'd recommend Bummed Out: https://msdn.duke4.n...otbummedout.php which is essentially the more extreme epitome of just that, being essentially the same thing with no weapons. (Note: the player is supposed to collect cash in that map instead of keycards; I don't know what I was thinking at the time, the money sprites are way harder to spot visually than the obvious keycard sprite so the progression in that one is more cryptic than it should be. Will probably revert them back to keycards if I ever update that map again somehow. I would recommend using the latest updated version of the map for now, with higher visibility and security cameras, found here: https://forums.duke4...191#entry167191)

This post has been edited by ck3D: 12 January 2020 - 02:29 AM

User is offline   Seb Luca 

Yes, it could be nice to mention for the classic mode. ;)

Ok, I'll try this map one of these evenings :) Thanks

This post has been edited by Seb Luca: 12 January 2020 - 08:34 AM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options