Duke4.net Forums: MARS 3D - Community-Campaign - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MARS 3D - Community-Campaign  "The lost shooter from the 90s as physical release"

User is offline   fgsfds 

Will this version be available for download?

User is offline   mr-edit 

It's not planned, but surely one of the 100 who got a copy makes an ISO or something.

One day earlier as planned, the boxes have arrived and look very good. <_<

Attached Image: bigboxes_1.jpg
Attached Image: bigboxes_2.jpg

All the components would now be finished. Now they need some time to collect and package everything. After that, the shipping can start.

Attached Image: mars_13.jpg

This post has been edited by mr-edit: 28 May 2019 - 11:00 AM

The shipping phase has been completed. All packages have been sent (international packages takes a while to arrive). Some people have already received their copy.
And they like the quality and testing the game on different old systems.

Attached Image: IMG_1654.JPG Attached Image: IMG_1655.JPG Attached Image: IMG_1656.JPG Attached Image: IMG_1657.JPG

There are 35 copys in Stock (from the Investor) if anybody are intrested :D

This post has been edited by mr-edit: 13 June 2019 - 03:49 AM

User is offline   cybdmn 

I am not at home at the moment, but got a photo of a delivered package, which seems to be the game. Tomorrow evening I will see.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

These beautifully traced Duke pistol graphics. Can't wait to be see it in motion on my monitor, too! 😂

• The Truth is in here

Update:

Received my copy today. Delivery at 18:30, unusual for Germany! XD I haven't played the game yet, but I am surprised how professional the box looks. Very nice reference to Doom, also since the game ripped quite a few Doom assets (looks like barrels and switches are almost the same, lol). Very nice to have a manual and poster, too.

I am really satisfied with the way this project has turned out. You guys delivered, and it's something you don't see so often. Thanks a lot for presenting this exotic game in such a nice way for at least a few more people to enjoy!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 13 June 2019 - 01:26 PM

Some people here say that this community campaign looks "fishy". I think now it was proved that it is the opposite :D

It is even said that the quality would be better than the SIGIL box. :) That's a nice compliment.

@NightFright
have fun with this rare oldschool shooter :)

• The Truth is in here

View Postmr-edit, on 25 May 2019 - 06:45 AM, said:

It's not planned, but surely one of the 100 who got a copy makes an ISO or something.

It's OK to post the d/l link to an iso created from the purchased CD here? Just asking so I'm not getting into trouble. ^^

Hmm... in my opinion, it would be nice if an iso would be released, if all copies were sold. But you can not prevent it anyway. It's up to your conscience.

• The Truth is in here

That's fine by me, I would also like to see all copies sold first. I am sure people out there can still wait. It's detinitely worth the money anyway, even if it's just seven levels.
[BTW I see that the game requires the CD in drive - but I already found a way to make it work from disk if you use imgmount in DOSBox.]

This post has been edited by NightFright: 14 June 2019 - 12:42 AM

That’s right, the game requires always the disc. Thats the original copy protection. But today it is no longer a problem i think :D

• The Truth is in here

First impressions after the first level:

1) Setup seems to be a bit buggy with sound/music setup. Regardless what you choose, next time you enter setup it's back to default (but it won't be changed from your previous settings unless you really choose something else). Also it doesn't seem to recognize anything but Gravis Ultrasound as soundcard, even though DosBox emulates a SB16 just fine.

2) Not sure how to get out of the hint screens (when touching one of the "?"). Any key I press doesn't get me back to the game. Same when you talk to NPCs.

3) Some of the control keys are preset and cannot be changed, e.g. PGUP/PGDOWN for looking up/down or +/- for increase/reduce screen size. If you bind these keys to something else, you will do two things at the same time ingame.

4) It has been mentioned before, but the English translation has quite some mistakes (e.g. "enemie", "rised" etc). Not sure if that was done intentionally, but at least to me it doesn't look great. Any chances for a patch if I list you all the mistakes I find? :D

This post has been edited by NightFright: 14 June 2019 - 05:58 AM

1) ... Also it doesn't seem to recognize anything but Gravis Ultrasound as soundcard, even though DosBox emulates a SB16 just fine.

That's not true, the setup was written new and was tested with a lot of original cards.

2) Not sure how to get out of the hint screens (when touching one of the "?"). Any key I press doesn't get me back to the game. Same when you talk to NPCs.

Hmmmm maybe you need to read the manual .... page 11... under "interaction". I do not think that you tried all the buttons. :D sometimes it is smart to read manuals ....

3) Some of the control keys are preset and cannot be changed, e.g. PGUP/PGDOWN for looking up/down or +/- for increase/reduce screen size. If you bind these keys to something else, you will do two things at the same time ingame.

The controls for looking up and down are hardcoded from the game and you can't change the screen size. That's not implemented by the game. Maybe you can ask the chinese developer why.

4) It has been mentioned before, but the English translation has quite some mistakes

Afterwards you can always complain.

Spoiler ahead: You will definitely find more bugs, glitches and mistakes in this game. That's why it's a "trash-pearl". And if you have not recognized it ... it's not a Doom or Duke Nukem 3D :)

Attached Image: Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-14 um 16.21.26.png

This post has been edited by mr-edit: 14 June 2019 - 06:58 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Can you use quote tags instead of code tags? Code tags run right off the screen and create a horizontal scroll bar. Murder on my portrait-oriented monitor. :D

Of course

• The Truth is in here

Well, all the things I have written above aside, I am surprised about the game to some degree. For example, the underwater warp effect is quite sophisticated. Reminded me of Quake a bit, even though with a few bugs (e.g. crosshair shouldn't get distorted). Underwater movement is a different matter, but OK. xD And wow, I recognize really quite a few textures and sprites from good old Doom. Sound effects are "stellar" as well, ofc. But: There *IS* actual level design going on - the maps are not a weird mess like for example in Tek War.

Only two maps in, can't handle more at once. xD E1M3, here I come (soon). To be continued...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 14 June 2019 - 07:53 AM

User is offline   Jinroh 

Mine arrived today! :3 When I have some time I will open up and install on my P2 rig. :3

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Can someone post gameplay videos please?

Here you can find a Video from @Marphy Black
https://youtu.be/VDBUzMuSKyo

This post has been edited by mr-edit: 03 July 2019 - 07:24 AM

I meant videos of the community campaign?

User is offline   fgsfds 

There's no new campaign. It's the same game translated to English.

Duhh

@MrFibble
Duhh? What did you expect?

Here is another Video i posted on page 1 of this thread. It shows the english translation ingame:
https://www.dropbox..../mars_a_000.mp4

This post has been edited by mr-edit: 07 July 2019 - 01:11 AM

View Postmr-edit, on 07 July 2019 - 01:10 AM, said:

Duhh? What did you expect?

I guess I had read the first post inattentively, I thought that this included some new levels for MARS 3D, hence the "community campaign" (as in, a set of levels tied together by a single storyline). Wishful thinking I suppose.

It would be possible to create new levels or even a new singleplayer campaign. You can use a normal DOOM editor like "Slade" for it.

First of all, thanks mr-edit for helping revive such an obscure game!

I got my copy and have played it through.

* The packaging is beautiful and really well produced. It looks extremely professional and great in any collection. Excellent work here!
* My favorite part of the actual game is the music. It sounds fantastic coming out of my Roland MT-32.
* There is actually some pretty nice level design in parts, for instance the city level or the second to last level.
* The nerve gun is great! It took me a while to figure out what it does, but it's really fun to use.
* Jetpack is a lot of fun as well.

Dislikes:
* Several of the more interesting enemies listed in the manual I never encountered in the game (e.g. the Brute and the executioner). I wonder if the list in the manual was just based on looking through the resources, or are they in the game and I missed them?
* Too short.
* Although I appreciate the attempts to inject some story through cutscenes, and there are some cool moments here, it comes off as a jumbled and incoherent mess. It seems like the writers gave up on the story near the end, which was very anticlimactic.
* After re-watching Player Lin's videos I think I prefer the original player sounds. They sound more authentic and fit the theme better.

Overall, not a gem by any means but still worth adding to your collection. Still 19 copies left! Maybe if they sell out 3DHero will be next? ;-)

This post has been edited by EliasCamber: 22 July 2019 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for your feedback @EliasCamber

Some of the enemies are not in the singleplayer campaign but they are present in the multiplayer co-op maps. You can start these maps with the following command:

mars3d.exe -warp e2m1

(e2m1 is an example, but be warned, most of the maps are not really finished)

The original player sounds are too chinese in my opinion (everybody laughs about "KISSU MY ASS"), so i really like the new ones more. It's a matter of taste i think.

"3D Hero" are too hard to translate, but there are some other ideas. One of them is an (western) release of "SIDELINE", an underrated obscure MS-DOS SHMUP game from Taiwan
(with the official permission of the original creators!). But first all MARS copies have to be sold.

EDIT: If you start the setup.exe, click on "multiplayer", you will find a list of all multiplayer map names you can use with the -warp command.

This post has been edited by mr-edit: 23 July 2019 - 05:12 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostEliasCamber, on 22 July 2019 - 10:05 PM, said:

Dislikes:

* Although I appreciate the attempts to inject some story through cutscenes, and there are some cool moments here, it comes off as a jumbled and incoherent mess. It seems like the writers gave up on the story near the end, which was very anticlimactic.

Nah, that's what happened if you tried mix a lot of famous movies/games/other things together and you got a totally weird mess, still, it's not bad, just weird. Unless you think weird is part of "bad". :dukecigar:

And the ending... I guess just like the multiplayer part of the game, they just didn't finished them all in time and had to cut something and release like that...but considering how this game was ended up, I would not surprised...hell, even with "proper" released games back that time in Taiwan(or even HK/China too), many of them suffered similar problems like MARS 3D, which is sad I have to say.

:lol:

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 28 July 2019 - 10:41 AM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options