Duke4.net Forums: MARS 3D - Community-Campaign - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MARS 3D - Community-Campaign  "The lost shooter from the 90s as physical release"

User is offline   mr-edit 

... but the enemies don't say that. :)

This post has been edited by mr-edit: 24 February 2019 - 06:25 AM

View Postmr-edit, on 24 February 2019 - 04:40 AM, said:

Hmmm ... many good English speaking people worked on this translation. I can not believe that she is not so good.

Still, it's obvious it has not been proofread by a native English speaker; there is still confusing grammar along with words that simply do not exist in English. As an example, "rised" is not a word. Also, "... hardly to describe" should be "difficult to describe" or "unimaginable"...if I am interpreting that sentence correctly. Regardless, it still gets the point across and I guess it adds to the game's charm.

Any estimate for box dimensions? The site says "(EU) big box"; does this mean the two-piece box style that was common for EU releases of DOS games?

@The Ultimate Doomer,
yes, that means such a two-piece box as most Lucas Arts Games. In the appendix you see a concept with the dimensions.
Would you like to take a look over the story-screens for corrections? Maybe you can get a place in the manual-credits too. Let me know via PM.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: box.png

This post has been edited by mr-edit: 25 February 2019 - 01:53 AM

Thanks for the offer, but I think the more simple errors like misspelled words can be corrected with a spell-check program. However, corrections for stuff like grammar and sentence structure would admittedly be more difficult to implement, because, as you mentioned before, there is limited screen space for the English words.

The story-screens are simple to change and the limitation isn't so hard, they are only graphics. The ingame-text is really difficult. But ok, if you don't want.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Counter stuck at 72. So close and yet...

yes it stuck but maybe there is a plan B. please be patient.

Great News!
The 100 are complete. An "Investor" has found for the remaining copies. In the next days all who have reserved will receive an e-mail with more information.

• The Truth is in here

Wow. That happened out of nowhere. Great that the missing reservations came together after all!

User is offline   Jinroh 

I am a few days late, but right on, congratulations on the big 100. :3

Did someone report this as being a scam? I'm not saying that it is or anything, just wondering.

I use the Web of Trust extension in Chrome and got this warning when i went to the site, false positive?

Posted Image

That warning is actually for Wix itself (wixsite.com), the free website builder that the MARS 3D page is using. MyWOT thinks Wix is unsafe, presumably because some scam/phishing websites are made with it.

This post has been edited by The Ultimate Doomer: 24 March 2019 - 01:01 AM

View PostThe Ultimate Doomer, on 24 March 2019 - 12:52 AM, said:

That warning is actually for Wix itself (wixsite.com), the free website builder that the MARS 3D page is using. MyWOT thinks Wix is unsafe, presumably because some scam/phishing websites are made with it.

Ah ok, yeah that makes sense then. Apologies to OP if i had any doubts. :lol:

• The Truth is in here

I paid my copy today. Really curious about this one.

Hey everyone,
the production phase for the MARS3D Community Release is in full swing.
For Updates please check the Twitter-Account: https://twitter.com/comreleasede

Here are some new pictures. The Disc and the Box are still in production.

Attached Image: mars_04.jpg
Attached Image: mars_05.jpg
Attached Image: mars_07.JPG
Attached Image: mars_08.JPG

Stay tuned.

This post has been edited by mr-edit: 27 April 2019 - 09:17 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Poor Duke, is he unconscious or..?

Questionable sound design aside, how is the game? From what I can see, it does not look half bad, actually.

• The Truth is in here

Package may be better than the actual game, but I gotta say it looks pretty legit and authentic to me. Good job so far, guys!

As I said, the game is no revelation.
The chinese have tried to include everything from the top titles of the past in their game.
But the result isn't good. The game is trash, but earlier there were even worse titles like
"Depth Dwellers" as example. But if you're a fan of oldshool shooters then this is still something special.
There will be only 100 copies and the game is available in english translation for the first time.

By the way, here is the only picture that found of the original artwork of the game.
The Duke and the Doom Marine are also on the ground here. <_<

Attached Image: orig.jpg

• The Truth is in here

OMG, Depth Dwellers. That game was an abomination. I played it back in the 90s when I couldn't find a Doom shareware version on my demo disks. Never managed to get past the first level. It was so ugly and so hard, it literally forced you to quit playing as soon as possible to prevent permanent physical and mental damage.

From the videos I can already say that Mars is a lot better. Still trash and nowhere near the holy trinity that is Doom, Quake and Duke3D. Buuuut I never played it and I am curious. It's an exotic artifact and needs to be seen as such.

But it's true, nice Doom II cover ripoff. And then with a ripped Duke3D pistol ingame as a cheap uzi. Shameless but also kinda amusing.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 28 April 2019 - 04:09 AM

User is offline   Jinroh 

Hopefully it will be ok, just sent my payment.

Between work and my e-mail trying to hide from me the Payment Reminder, I did not want to be a non-paying scumbag.

The release is looking great so far. :3

The Discs are finally ready!

Attached Image: mars_discs.jpg

Attached Image: mars_discs2.jpg

• The Truth is in here

These look really good! I just got my hands on a copy of "Virus Explosion", an upgrade to the exotic and rare German cyberspace shooter "Skaphander: Der Auftrag" (1995). I expected a crappy game but was positively surprised by its kinda creative level design with some neat tricks Doom didn't have (e.g. sloped surfaces, flying, underwater movement) and enjoyable music.

Mars 3D will probably still be ranked below that, but since I know all the famous shooters by heart, now I feel it's time to take a closer look at the underdogs.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 09 May 2019 - 10:36 AM

How is Virus Explosion an upgrade, exactly? I tried googling it but so far, all the relevant results describe the game as a mere re-release of Skaphander.

@NightFright

if you are interested in the real old underdogs. You have to take a look at "IN EXTREMIS". It was the first European FPS from a france company named "Blue Sphere".

• The Truth is in here

@johnnythewolf
There are quite some differences actually. VEx allows you to choose higher resolutions (Skaphander only had 320x400, VEx allows up to 800x600). Cockpit view was improved so you see more (it's just a statusbar on the bottom now, nothing on the side or top of the screen). All levels underwent some changes and two of them were apparently removed completely (dunno which and the reasons behind it, though). The engine seems to run more stable in general.

There's probably more, but unfortunately it's hard to find one of the designers these days to ask them. Anyway, after completely playing through the game I must say it was a mistake ignoring it when it was released. It has quite some flaws (crappy sounds, boring enemies, some puzzles a bit too hard, collision detection, general bugs), but levels are quite interesting. Music is also pretty good (CD audio), but most people won't ever hear it since downloadable versions won't have it. And even then, for some reason they hardcoded CD audio volume into each of the levels and you can't change it via menu. This way the tracks are playing very faintly in the background and you need to turn up general volume to hear anything.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 09 May 2019 - 10:05 PM

User is offline   Jinroh 

Those discs are looking beautiful! Cannot wait to throw it in my P-II rig. :3

Short News: Next week on Tuesday the Boxes will be delivered. Then the shipping phase will begin.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View Postmr-edit, on 23 May 2019 - 09:24 PM, said:

Short News: Next week on Tuesday the Boxes will be delivered. Then the shipping phase will begin.

Rad! The boxes and everything else are looking so beautiful. :3

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options