Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] NBlood - Blood port based on EDuke32 - Duke4.net Forums

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] NBlood - Blood port based on EDuke32

User is offline   v47 

View PostJimmy, on 19 October 2020 - 09:28 PM, said:

original intended experience

official 3dfx patches for Build games exist. now what.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Those patches were done by 3DFX themselves rather than the developers and are of dubious value (for example there's no voxel rendering)

User is offline   v47 

all I'm saying here is that "intended experience" may not be as clearly cut as one might think - for example, I highly doubt the original devs were like "pixels are the real deal, lets find an engine that does pixels real good, and make a pixel game full of pixels. also, DOS forever ololololol". the "guys, we need some engine that would power our game, what can we afford with our budget? Build? ah well, it'll have to do, I suppose" scenario is much more likely. so it's quite possible they intended the game to look better, but they ended up with something else because of budget limitations. what would be the "proper" intended experience here? is it what they originally had in mind, or what they've ended up with eventually?

anyway, I do agree that whoever is the (main) dev has the final word, so I'm ok with the explanation given on the previous page.

This post has been edited by v47: 20 October 2020 - 02:59 AM

User is offline   Mark 

View PostJimmy, on 18 October 2020 - 10:35 AM, said:

Making the game look accurate is much more important than being able to make the game ugly.

Yet another astute observation from Captain Obvious. ;)

But seriously, it sucks to have a needed feature taken away from the modders whose projects need filtering. Not just as a personal preference but to make viewing ingame tolerable and as the author intended.

This post has been edited by Mark: 20 October 2020 - 05:54 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I guess the important point is that filtering IS on the table but there is just no one to do it and "reverting" or having options is not a simple technical matter.

As for 3DFX patches, yes, those do quite a bit but like it was said, they were largely extras and never went out of beta.
As much as the lack of filtering may suck, so does poor performance, which is something where EDuk32 has improved considerably during the past 2-3 years.

And just to be clear (I don't think there was any misunderstanding anyway), I am not an EDuke32 dev so I'm just basing on what I know.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• 1776 World Wide

Yawn. Same old tired arguments from texture filtering plebs.

Unpopular opinion incoming!

HRP people will probably be better served by Raze, assuming Graf succeeds in reBUILDing the engine

User is offline   jkas789 

I don't know Phredreeke, the new project looks IMO much better and consistent than the HRP.

On another note. Does anyone here knows how to run custom episodes like French Supply and Pulp Fiction with NBlood? The only one I have been able to run so far has been Death Wish.

User is offline   Mark 

It might be too early to tell about consistency. After a few hundred more textures have been done by different people and different upscale models we will know.

This post has been edited by Mark: 21 October 2020 - 06:19 AM

User is offline   Lazy Dog 

got this when loading a save in Death Wish e3m7, Last Rites. Loading that specific save always brings the same error.

https://i.imgur.com/X6rScrI.png

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 21 October 2020 - 11:22 AM

User is offline   Trebor_UK 

Do Cutscenes work in NBlood yet?

Cutscenes have always worked in NBlood, you just have to extract the movies directory from game.gog

User is offline   Mark 

I'm not sure if its the latest versions or not, but I started playing Cryptic Passage for the first time and with a voxel pack in NBlood. Wow, this is fun stuff. I'm impressed. Great job everyone.

This post has been edited by Mark: 18 December 2020 - 08:05 AM

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostMark, on 18 December 2020 - 08:04 AM, said:

I'm not sure if its the latest versions or not, but I started playing Cryptic Passage for the first time and with a voxel pack in NBlood. Wow, this is fun stuff. I'm impressed. Great job everyone.

Now try it with Phredreeke's upscaled textures. ;)

NBlood is a really good reverse-engineered port but I've noticed some bugs. For some reason, the flames that attack you while you're on the moving cart in E1M6 don't do any damage whatsoever. And when I faced Cheogh at the end of episode 1, he kept aiming his blue eye lasers directly at the ground, making them entirely ineffective. And there was one time when an enemy dropped a key that was already in my inventory.

This post has been edited by Bark Doogle: 24 March 2021 - 12:25 PM

User is offline   Master O 

View PostBark Doogle, on 24 March 2021 - 12:24 PM, said:

NBlood is a really good reverse-engineered port but I've noticed some bugs. For some reason, the flames that attack you while you're on the moving cart in E1M6 don't do any damage whatsoever. And when I faced Cheogh at the end of episode 1, he kept aiming his blue eye lasers directly at the ground, making them entirely ineffective. And there was one time when an enemy dropped a key that was already in my inventory.

Well, report those issues at https://github.com/n...t/NBlood/issues

User is offline   Jim 

View PostHendricks266, on 20 January 2021 - 09:29 PM, said:

I pushed a change that re-enables the texture filtering cvar. You should ship an autoexec.cfg with your mod that sets:

r_useindexedcolortextures 0
r_texfilter 5
r_anisotropy 4

Can the above changes by Hendricks266 be implemented in to Nblood, so that Texture filtering works? Some people do like to play with texture filtering.

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options