• 23 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Duke Being Put To Pasture?

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 19 March 2019 - 01:14 AM, said:

Even if they don't direct it that way, the odds of a new actor they hire pleasing you (an oldschool Duke fan) even more is very very low. Plus I like the idea of a company being loyal to an iconic voice actor, recasting Duke would not be good.

I don't care. Jon's voice is neither necessary nor sufficient for a good Duke game. The less focus character gets, the better.

View PostTea Monster, on 19 March 2019 - 06:16 AM, said:

According to most of the comments, the tards would rather have either a new Bulletstorm game or - and may God have mercy on their souls - Boredomlands 3. If they really want this, and aren't just trolling, then they need to be put out of our misery. Don't fight it, it's a kindness."Give me Borderlands 3 with Duke Nukem as a playable character. Yup that’s all I want!" Yep. The only cure for this guys ills is a warm bath and a razorblade.

Indeed. Why would anyone want a sequel to acclaimed and financially successful game as Borderlands 2, when you can have a sequel to Duke Nukem Forever?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Imagine as a gamer who grew up with shooters like Blood, Duke, Doom and Quake, how much of a torpid mess something like Borderlands is. It's trying to be Rage, and failing at even meeting that challenge. Now imagine that you meet someone, who in PUBLIC, admits to preferring some tedious garbage like Borderlands. This is especially after both Doom and Wolfenstein have both been spectacularly resurrected to both critical and commercial success.

Posted Image

Look into those eyes, and tell me that it isn't a mercy, a blessed mercy, for all of us.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 19 March 2019 - 11:02 AM

User is offline   Perro Seco 

If we want another Duke game, we will have to produce it by ourselves. Is "Duke Nukum" a copyrighted name? :)

View PostPerro Seco, on 19 March 2019 - 11:09 AM, said:

If we want another Duke game, we will have to produce it by ourselves. Is "Duke Nukum" a copyrighted name? :D

how about Nuke Dukem? :)

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 19 March 2019 - 11:20 AM

User is online   ck3D 

I'm a fan of Jon St. Jon's original Duke talk and all for him remaining involved as far as the franchise goes, but as far as unofficial add-ons and user-made material is concerned, is Duke that hard to impersonate? Serious question. How come the game is over two decades old and no credible voice actor for Duke ever manifested themselves in the community? People have been making maps with custom .voc files since the release of the game, be them sound effects or other voices, but it seems like nobody ever dared to credibly impersonate Duke for new Duke talk. Does anybody know about somebody who might have tried and failed? I don't, but I also can't believe it literally never happened. Duke is the epitome of the generic, macho Hollywood movie character which is a popular stereotype; I get Jon's inflexions and tones are subtle but can't that stuff be studied and practiced? Why couldn't impersonation contests take place on forums such as this one, quite possibly with polls if in the context of an ambitious project for instance, and whatnot? Why keep waiting for an original that happened 23 years ago and is most likely never coming back? Is it a matter of respect for the artist? Of keeping it all canonical? Of people being scared to put their voice out there on the Internet?

Just random food for thought; I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why people never really explored that direction, but with all due respect to it and to Jon's classic work, I just can't believe Duke's original voice would be impossible to recreate.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 19 March 2019 - 11:24 AM

View Postck3D, on 19 March 2019 - 11:22 AM, said:

I'm a fan of Jon St. Jon's original Duke talk and all for him remaining involved as far as the franchise goes, but as far as unofficial add-ons and user-made material is concerned, is Duke that hard to impersonate? Serious question. How come the game is over two decades old and no credible voice actor for Duke ever manifested themselves in the community? People have been making maps with custom .voc files since the release of the game, be them sound effects or other voices, but it seems like nobody ever dared to credibly impersonate Duke for new Duke talk. Does anybody know about somebody who might have tried and failed? I don't, but I also can't believe it literally never happened. Duke is the epitome of the generic, macho Hollywood movie character which is a popular stereotype; I get Jon's inflexions and tones are subtle but can't that stuff be studied and practiced? Why couldn't impersonation contests take place on forums such as this one, quite possibly with polls if in the context of an ambitious project for instance, and whatnot? Why keep waiting for an original that happened 23 years ago and is most likely never coming back? Is it a matter of respect for the artist? Of keeping it all canonical? Of people being scared to put their voice out there on the Internet?

Just random food for thought; I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why people never really explored that direction, but with all due respect to it and to Jon's classic work, I just can't believe Duke's voice would be impossible to recreate.

LGR as Duke in a commercial game:

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 19 March 2019 - 11:27 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

We had no problem finding a guy to do a Duke voice for our mod. I still think JSJ should be given first crack for a professional outing.

In the highly unlikely event that they will announce a completely new, non-retreaded or remastered Duke Nukem game, then it may be possible that they have done pre-production and have yet to be at the stage where they would be looking for voice artists.

Reloaded was given a license to make a Duke game - non-profit of course, which is why it wasn't finished. Who's to say that someone else hasn't tried couldn't try that?

User is online   ck3D 

View PostTea Monster, on 19 March 2019 - 11:35 AM, said:

We had no problem finding a guy to do a Duke voice for our mod. I still think JSJ should be given first crack for a professional outing.

I salute the first part and agree with you on the second part.

While I was mentioning user content altogether (which is rich after two decades worth of fan contributions), it is true that I should have specified that I don't get to check out the more ambitious mods too often. My time and focus has been allowing me to play nothing but user maps for quite a few years now, so as far as what's been done for TC's for instance I'm out of the loop. It's cool (and reassuring) that some people are willing and able to pull it off.

Not entirely convinced by LGR's take on Duke talk tbh - 50% of the time I feel like his tone isn't deep enough and that is enough for me to feel a breach in the character, but it's still a good effort, pretty close and I'm glad folks are trying.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 19 March 2019 - 11:52 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 March 2019 - 08:40 AM, said:

Are you real? Do you actually believe that?

Well, we live in a time where angry gamers openly talk about trying to drive female game developers to suicide and fucking PewDiePie fans livestream themselves going on shooting sprees... :)

View PostTea Monster, on 19 March 2019 - 11:00 AM, said:

Imagine as a gamer who grew up with shooters like Blood, Duke, Doom and Quake, how much of a torpid mess something like Borderlands is. It's trying to be Rage, and failing at even meeting that challenge. Now imagine that you meet someone, who in PUBLIC, admits to preferring some tedious garbage like Borderlands. This is especially after both Doom and Wolfenstein have both been spectacularly resurrected to both critical and commercial success.

Well, here is the thing: I did grow up with shooters like Doom (which is still one of my all-time favourites), Quake and Duke Nukem 3D, and yet I still enjoy the Borderlands series; the first one is a bit boring and clunky, I will admit, and I have my issues with Borderlands 2, but I was all in all pretty pleased with Borderlands The Pre-Sequel, even though it is not without flaws either.

Incidentally, it was RAGE that I found to be a torpid mess/tedious garbage... Hopefully, the sequel will be an improvement.

I am definitely considering buying MachineGames' Wolfenstein games at some point, but I can say for sure that I am not a fan of Doom 2016 and I will most likely not even bother with Doom Maternal either - although I do appreciate its reintroduction of classic enemy and weapon designs - unless I can get it dirt cheap or for free. Which is really weird for me, as I have always been more of a Doom guy ( :D ) and never really enjoyed any of the previous Wolfenstein games, save maybe for the better-than-expected Wolfenstein 2009.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 19 March 2019 - 01:46 PM

View PostKathy, on 19 March 2019 - 09:06 AM, said:

I don't care. Jon's voice is neither necessary nor sufficient for a good Duke game. The less focus character gets, the better.

Even if he only says a few lines and is very downplayed for example, like it sounds like you'd dig, Jon could still do that. He's a professional, he's voiced characters in different styles over the years. That said, I myself like a lot of Duke lines, his character to me is a big part of what makes the franchise not just another shooter. The incredible level design and fun combat helps too, but Duke is a big big part of the package for me.

(And that said, I actually think he did a great job on DNF, but it's in a style that is different from what I'd pick for the next Duke game.)

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 19 March 2019 - 02:07 PM

User is offline   Mark 

View Postck3D, on 19 March 2019 - 11:22 AM, said:

Just random food for thought; I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why people never really explored that direction, but with all due respect to it and to Jon's classic work, I just can't believe Duke's original voice would be impossible to recreate.

One of the custom made lines from the HHR mod. There are likely a limited amount of people with a good mic and know how to use an editor program. Then out of those, how many have a voice that can go deep? Scattered throughout the threads are some clips of those who tried.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  party.mp3 (80.1K)
    Number of downloads: 122

This post has been edited by Mark: 19 March 2019 - 04:34 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 19 March 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

Even if he only says a few lines and is very downplayed for example, like it sounds like you'd dig, Jon could still do that. He's a professional, he's voiced characters in different styles over the years. That said, I myself like a lot of Duke lines, his character to me is a big part of what makes the franchise not just another shooter. The incredible level design and fun combat helps too, but Duke is a big big part of the package for me.

(And that said, I actually think he did a great job on DNF, but it's in a style that is different from what I'd pick for the next Duke game.)

I'm not saying that he couldn't. But if Gearbox were making new Duke game and it was in alpha stage, yet Jon wasn't yet involved, I'd took it for a good sign.

View PostKathy, on 19 March 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

I'm not saying that he couldn't. But if Gearbox were making new Duke game and it was in alpha stage, yet Jon wasn't yet involved, I'd took it for a good sign.

Also, wasn't Jon not involved in recording for DNF until it was in it's final year or two of development? I thought voice actors are brought in last, unless there is motion capture.

User is offline   Kathy 

Most of the lines - yeah, but for the trailers, I believe, Jon was brought in.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Jon Was brought in for 1998 and 2007.

But the 2007 teaser was never really meant for the public. At least initially. It was part of a Christmas party celebration and then some pressure was put on George to release it, at which point it became more.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 19 March 2019 - 01:26 PM, said:

Well, here is the thing: I did grow up with shooters like Doom (which is still one of my all-time favourites), Quake and Duke Nukem 3D, and yet I still enjoy the Borderlands series; the first one is a bit boring and clunky, I will admit, and I have my issues with Borderlands 2, but I was all in all pretty pleased with Borderlands The Pre-Sequel, even though it is not without flaws either.

Incidentally, it was RAGE that I found to be a torpid mess/tedious garbage... Hopefully, the sequel will be an improvement.

Agreed. What I find is that people who hate on Borderlands did not player Borderlands 2, which is when it got good. Also, Borderlands 2 should either be played solo or with one or two frends coop. If you play it with randos it becomes shitty. So if you don't like it, you are doing it wrong. :)

Having said that, Duke certainly does not belong anywhere near a Borderlands game.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostxMobilemux, on 18 March 2019 - 12:25 PM, said:

Betting on Bulletstorm sequel. lol

View PostTea Monster, on 19 March 2019 - 11:00 AM, said:

Posted Image

Look into those eyes, and tell me that it isn't a mercy, a blessed mercy, for all of us.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 20 March 2019 - 10:24 AM

View PostTrooper Dan, on 19 March 2019 - 11:16 PM, said:

Agreed. What I find is that people who hate on Borderlands did not player Borderlands 2, which is when it got good. Also, Borderlands 2 should either be played solo or with one or two frends coop. If you play it with randos it becomes shitty. So if you don't like it, you are doing it wrong. :lol:

Having said that, Duke certainly does not belong anywhere near a Borderlands game.

I can certainly see Borderlands 3 making fun of the character. Heck, maybe its predecessors already did and I just have not noticed.

User is online   ck3D 

View PostMark, on 19 March 2019 - 04:30 PM, said:

One of the custom made lines from the HHR mod. There are likely a limited amount of people with a good mic and know how to use an editor program. Then out of those, how many have a voice that can go deep? Scattered throughout the threads are some clips of those who tried.

That's a really good and credible one. I'm glad I was wrong and there are people out there who are good at doing this.

Here's my own impersonation for shits and giggles, this discussion inspired me to give it a try: https://vocaroo.com/i/s1xwXYDwUDUV (raw MacBook Pro audio recorded on Quicktime real quick, no mix etc.)

This post has been edited by ck3D: 20 March 2019 - 06:22 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 19 March 2019 - 01:26 PM, said:

Well, we live in a time where angry gamers openly talk about trying to drive female game developers to suicide and fucking PewDiePie fans livestream themselves going on shooting sprees... :lol:

Holy shit you're the gayest poster on this forum since Robman.

User is offline   Dacoolguy 

There will most likely be a new Duke game at one point.
Either Gearbox release a Duke game or they sell the ip to somebody else and that somebody else will make that game, I have no worries about that.
What I do worry is that it will suck due to a plethora of reasons for witch it can suck.
Graphically it won't suck, I know for sure. We are living in a world and going towards a time when to release a game that is graphically displeasing, is pretty much impossible.
At this point, I could even settle for a duke game with crysis 1 graphics and it would still kick ass even though Crysis is 12 years old.
So graphics sucking are most likely not going to be a problem with engines such as unreal engine 4 or unity easily available out there.
What can fuck a Duke game is lack of a great gameplay, lack of nostalgia inducing mechanics and aesthetics and feminism.
The SJW's can and will influence the development of this game if it's done by a huge studio, there is no way around it.
So worse case scenario, they put out a great game with everything done right but they fuck it up the last second by making Duke a pussy and having some black or white female partner that bosses and schools him around to get the feminist agenda checked.

This post has been edited by Dacoolguy: 02 April 2019 - 07:04 AM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

As it is always said : Duke Nukem is not mysoginistic, he is edonistic !

lack of nostalgia inducing mechanics

No. Nostalgia is a ball and chain, and it's why we haven't had a Duke Nukem game in 8 years. Duke Nukem 3D was good precisely because it wasn't nostalgic; instead, it broke new boundaries in interaction and complexity. It didn't need gamers' memories of a more or less distant past, it didn't need to recall other games, it was good for its own merits.

Whenever I miss Duke Nukem 3D, guess what I do... I play Duke Nukem 3D! I don't want a Duke game that reminds me of Duke3D, I want a Duke game that makes me forget about Duke3D! I want to be able to say "Who needs Duke Nukem 3D anymore, when I've got this!"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostDacoolguy, on 02 April 2019 - 07:02 AM, said:

Graphically it won't suck, I know for sure. We are living in a world and going towards a time when to release a game that is graphically displeasing, is pretty much impossible.

I beg to differ. We'll still get a Mass Effect: Andromeda every now and then don't you worry. Andromeda's graphics are [i]technically[i] superior to DNF's (more polys, high res textures maybe, etc) but they're still bad and I'd say arguable worse than DNF's graphics all things considered.

View PostAltered Reality, on 02 April 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

Whenever I miss Duke Nukem 3D, guess what I do... I play Duke Nukem 3D! I don't want a Duke game that reminds me of Duke3D, I want a Duke game that makes me forget about Duke3D! I want to be able to say "Who needs Duke Nukem 3D anymore, when I've got this!"

I'm just losing faith that that will ever happen.

Duke Nukem definitely is a misogynist; hedonists do not view women as just things to have sex with and fight over.

And what better illustration of just how much misogyny permeates the Duke Nukem franchise than fans worrying that "feminism", i.e. giving Duke Nukem a female sidekick who gets treated as his equal - will somehow ruin it. You hear that, Trooper Dan? Making Bombshell playable in Alien Armaggedon has ruined Duke Nukem 3D! Voidpoint might as well cancel Ion Maiden altogether while there is still time, because they made a fairly attractive but still non-sexualised woman its protagonist and that spells doom for the game! :lol:

And you know you must be a seriously racist piece of shit when you view the mere idea of making a black character to be Duke Nukem's superior as a negative... :lol:

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 02 April 2019 - 02:08 PM

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 02 April 2019 - 01:55 PM, said:

And what better illustration of just how much misogyny permeates the Duke Nukem franchise than fans worrying that "feminism", i.e. giving Duke Nukem a female sidekick who gets treated as his equal - will somehow ruin it.

That's completely false, because if it was true, fans would be happy that Bombshell was replaced with Dylan in DNF.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 02 April 2019 - 02:05 PM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Duke Nukem definitely is a misogynist; hedonists do not view women as just things to have sex with and fight over (in order to have sex with).

And what better illustration of just how much misogyny permeates the Duke Nukem franchise than fans worrying that "feminism", i.e. giving Duke Nukem a female sidekick who gets treated as his equal - will somehow ruin it. You hear that, Trooper Dan? Making Bombshell playable in Alien Armaggedon has ruined Duke Nukem 3D! Voidpoint might as well cancel Ion Maiden altogether, because they made a fairly attractive but still non-sexualised woman its protagonist and that is bad! :lol:

Your posts:

View PostAltered Reality, on 02 April 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

No. Nostalgia is a ball and chain, and it's why we haven't had a Duke Nukem game in 8 years. Duke Nukem 3D was good precisely because it wasn't nostalgic; instead, it broke new boundaries in interaction and complexity. It didn't need gamers' memories of a more or less distant past, it didn't need to recall other games, it was good for its own merits.

I would say nostalgia is actually more of a bait, really, as brand recognition is a common tool used by marketing experts to lure in customers and get them to care about things they would otherwise have little interest in. I also do not think throwbacks are the reason as to why Duke Nukem Forever turned out to be so bad; for the most part, I thought it was kind of cute how the game handled those.

But yes, ideally, a superior sequel, especially when it comes to video games, should make its predecessor obsolete.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 02 April 2019 - 03:48 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Duke Nukem definitely is a misogynist; hedonists do not view women as just things to have sex with and fight over.

And what better illustration of just how much misogyny permeates the Duke Nukem franchise than fans worrying that "feminism", i.e. giving Duke Nukem a female sidekick who gets treated as his equal - will somehow ruin it. You hear that, Trooper Dan? Making Bombshell playable in Alien Armaggedon has ruined Duke Nukem 3D! Voidpoint might as well cancel Ion Maiden altogether while there is still time, because they made a fairly attractive but still non-sexualised woman its protagonist and that spells doom for the game! :lol:

And you know you must be a seriously racist piece of shit when you view the mere idea of making a black character to be Duke Nukem's superior as a negative... :lol:

Hm, Duke is none of those things, but if that's what you believe, then why do you play Duke Nukem? Posted Image

This post has been edited by Radar: 03 April 2019 - 05:51 AM

View PostRadar, on 03 April 2019 - 03:46 AM, said:

if that's what you believe, then why do you play Duke Nukem?

:lol:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 03 April 2019 - 01:35 PM

Share this topic:

• 23 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options