• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Duke Being Put To Pasture?

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 08 February 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

I use glory kills because they're freaking fun.

Me too.... :)

...but still, whenever I hear they are mandatory I start scratching my head because if you're not at an HP deficit you get shit HP drops from glory kills = why do them?

User is offline   axl 

View PostPerro Seco, on 08 February 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

All those brutal-gory-etc features are very childish in my opinion. Like a kid when gets angry and starts screaming and doing silly things. I respect people who likes that in games, but in my opinion it makes the game look very exaggerated and ridiculous, killing other interesting aspects like inmersion or atmosphere. I think the original Doom / Duke 3D / Blood / Quake have the perfect amount of gore.

I hope I don't upset anyone with my minority opinion. :)

I'm with you on this one. Those games have the perfect amount. As for Doom 2016, it's a great game, no doubt about that. But personally, I could live without the glory kills. It gets boring after a while...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's a throwaway gimmick that people will forget about in 3-5 years, and laugh about in 10-15. It's cringe edgelord shit geared toward Hatred type of players. Sergeant Mark IV is the cringiest edgelord to ever live and id Software should have distanced themselves as much as possible.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostPerro Seco, on 08 February 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

All those brutal-gory-etc features are very childish in my opinion. Like a kid when gets angry and starts screaming and doing silly things. I respect people who likes that in games, but in my opinion it makes the game look very exaggerated and ridiculous, killing other interesting aspects like inmersion or atmosphere. I think the original Doom / Duke 3D / Blood / Quake have the perfect amount of gore.

I hope I don't upset anyone with my minority opinion. :)

Stuff like Brutal Doom are fucking disgusting. I don't want to kill that Pinky to see half of his arms being ripped off and seeing his agony to death. How a sane human can enjoy that??

Also, these gorey mods always end up being noisy and flashy as hell, all the atmosphere is lost in the game. One of my favourite Doom WADs had been optimised for BD and even author said it's clunky with normal mode. But he was wrong, aside from weapon issues at parts normal mode felt atmopsheric and fun, while BD version is just raping my eyes and ears.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 08 February 2019 - 12:57 PM

User is online   Mark 

Having only a small handful of games made later than 2005 I haven't played newer games with all the fancy gore features. I have a fondness for the death and gore from Soldier of Fortune 2. That amount in a new game would be enough for me. The newer stuff looks cool but I like it simpler.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostNancsi, on 08 February 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

Stuff like Brutal Doom are fucking disgusting. I don't want to kill that Pinky to see half of his arms being ripped off and seeing his agony to death. How a sane human can enjoy that??

They're meant to be demons from hell. I don't think you really understand the frame of mind the Doomslayer would have to be in to do what he does. It's similar to people engaged in armed combat IRL - dehumanize the enemy. Except in this case it's an otherwordly threat, so even less reason to care. I dig Brutal Doom, and I like Quake 1.5, but the novelty does wear off. 1.5 isn't so far gone, BD after a battle looks like a clown vomited all over a child's watercolor painting. Fun in short bursts.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Upvoted purely because xenolols is a shit bag who can't reply.

This post has been edited by Jimmy 100MPH: 08 February 2019 - 03:46 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postthricecursed, on 08 February 2019 - 01:48 PM, said:

BD after a battle looks like a clown vomited all over a child's watercolor painting.

Change the blood options if you don't like it, that's what I do on top of disabling the new weapons, demon runes and the rescuable marines.

It still seems likely to me we'll get another Duke game sometime. Just about every IP gets resurrected, certainly lower tier ones than Duke. Somebody will give it a try sometime. Though the company currently stewarding Duke being such a mess may keep us waiting a while.

User is offline   Maisth 

In my opinion, I would like another Duke game, I think everyone would like another one even if its like World Tour, but from a industrial point of view, making a new Duke game is not viable for Gearbox, right now , after DNF and World Tour, Duke games have been hurting Gearbox's image more than anything, even if DNF's fault was mostly thanks to 3D Realms, the damage was already done and also include the Hype the game had behind thanks to the 15 year wait, I'm sure Randy wants Duke to be a commercial success and I'm sure he wants it to be the next Doom 2016 of first person shooters, but the past it has and also the reputation Gearbox has is not a very good one considering they have been through so many crap over the last years.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostZaxx, on 08 February 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

Change the blood options if you don't like it, that's what I do on top of disabling the new weapons, demon runes and the rescuable marines.

^This. I too kinda like Brutal Doom but only for its gameplay mechanics, not the gore. Gore settings are set to low in my case.

Though nowadays I don't use BD much other than for Extermination Day, which I really love because of Duke-like realistic level locations.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

I don't have the feeling that Gearbox image is ternished in any way, every time I see talking about Gearbx it is in good...

• banned!

I like the gore, just in short bursts. I think the problem with BD is it was such a massive success that the guy kept adding more stuff until it became bloated and ugly. But yeah, I guess you can adjust a lot of the settings. I liked it like this:

User is offline   NNC 

It's a damn shame that Extermination Day is not working properly without BD. One of the best mapsets for Doom IMHO.

• banned!

Kinda surprised you people don't like the B movie aesthetic that inspired all your favorite games. No love for the lawnmower scene in Braindead/Dead Alive?

:)

I don't get calling it "edgy", it's just humorous to me. Even Romero thought BD was hilarious.

This post has been edited by thricecursed: 08 February 2019 - 11:37 PM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMaisth, on 08 February 2019 - 06:34 PM, said:

... Duke games have been hurting Gearbox's image more than anything ...

*cough* Randy Pitchford *cough*

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View Postthricecursed, on 08 February 2019 - 11:24 PM, said:

I like the gore, just in short bursts. I think the problem with BD is it was such a massive success that the guy kept adding more stuff until it became bloated and ugly. But yeah, I guess you can adjust a lot of the settings.

In BDv21, you can disable almost all of the extra v21 features and even adjust the quantity of gory. Lowering the gore also massively improves performance in v21 as opposed to v19 and v20b.

View PostNancsi, on 08 February 2019 - 11:24 PM, said:

It's a damn shame that Extermination Day is not working properly without BD. One of the best mapsets for Doom IMHO.

There exists an old version of Extermination Day (Hell on Earth Starter Pack) that CAN work without BD.
https://www.moddb.co...th-starter-pack

Now go to the link below and download the "Vanilla Improver file" and load it after the "Starter Pack". Personally I have not tried this but I have heard that it is playable without BD in this case.
https://forum.zdoom....pic.php?t=58096

View Postthricecursed, on 08 February 2019 - 11:37 PM, said:

Kinda surprised you people don't like the B movie aesthetic that inspired all your favorite games. No love for the lawnmower scene in Braindead/Dead Alive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3svq8EX01U&feature=youtu.be

:)

One word: YUCK!!!!!

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 09 February 2019 - 02:21 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNancsi, on 08 February 2019 - 11:24 PM, said:

Extermination Day was made for BD specifically, playing it with vanilla Doom would mess up the gameplay.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Brutal Doom is incomparable to Braindead. Brutal Doom is thrash bro tier. I bet he listens to shit like Municipal Waste and Toxic Holocaust.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

such anger

relieve some stress by giving a pinky an enema with its own horn

User is offline   axl 

View PostJimmy 100MPH, on 09 February 2019 - 07:57 AM, said:

Brutal Doom is incomparable to Braindead. Brutal Doom is thrash bro tier. I bet he listens to shit like Municipal Waste and Toxic Holocaust.

Hey, I like Municipal Waste and Toxic Holocaust ! Great bands :)

• banned!

View PostJimmy 100MPH, on 09 February 2019 - 07:57 AM, said:

Who? Sgt Whatshisface? Can't say, don't know him.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postaxl, on 09 February 2019 - 08:42 AM, said:

Hey, I like Municipal Waste and Toxic Holocaust ! Great bands :)

They fucking suck and the lead singer of MW is a weenie and a laughing stock here in Richmond.

• banned!

Great drummer, though. Huge fan of his other bands.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Only here for the cheap memes

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: deadduke.gif
  • Attached Image: dukeisdead.png
  • Attached Image: multidead.png

User is online   Mark 

Duke Nukem Forever...not this time.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0012.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark: 10 February 2019 - 05:52 AM

View PostJimmy 100MPH, on 01 September 2015 - 10:33 PM, said:

Posted Image

:-(

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 10 February 2019 - 08:24 AM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Duke Nukem is not dead, he have just been taking several years of RNR (some would say he went back to his microcosmos) and is preparing to run for president !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 10 February 2019 - 08:40 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

That image is just perfect.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

LMAO. I love it when that pops up. I should update it with Bulletstorm.

Share this topic:

• 23 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options