Duke4.net Forums: The ESRGAN AI Upscale non-Duke thread - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The ESRGAN AI Upscale non-Duke thread

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostMark, on 03 February 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

You could try adding the scale look back in with a texture filter. Heres a quick example.

Actually that's a very good idea, thank you Sir! :)

What programme exactly did you use and what texture? Is there a way to limit it to only the skin parts while leaving the Orc's armour alone? (or did you already do that?)

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 February 2019 - 11:44 AM, said:

Why do you keep doing that??

In the case of Ken's Labyrinth image, to reduce the file size because Imgur auto-converts large PNGs (over 1 MiB in size) to JPEG.

But generally I dislike the blurry look of the results, whereas the indexed palette gives a sharper image without any loss of detail. Or, to put it the other way, I don't think that there is any advantage in having a true colour image in any of the experiments above.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 04 February 2019 - 05:08 AM

User is online   Mark 

• Honored Donor

I use Paint Shop Pro 7.04
I adjusted the selection tool to highlight only the green. Then from dropdown menus went to Effects/TextureEffects/Textures and chose a very bumpy texture that looks kind of like cooled lava rock. I applied it using the very lightest setting. You could do the same for other parts like a brush aluminum finish or scratched metal for the armor.

The only drawback I see, and it might not even be noticible in the game, is each frame of the enemy sprite will have the texture applied slightly different because the size and shape of the selected area has changed. But I doubt it would stand out enough to scrap the whole idea.

Thanks!

View PostMark, on 04 February 2019 - 06:50 AM, said:

The only drawback I see, and it might not even be noticible in the game, is each frame of the enemy sprite will have the texture applied slightly different because the size and shape of the selected area has changed

Yeah, that's what MasonFace from Daggerfall Workshop forums also suggested. But considering that the characters are almost constantly moving it shouldn't be very noticeable anyway.

User is online   Mark 

• Honored Donor

He stole my reply word for word. :lol:

Duh, I scrolled upwards and saw your earlier post where credit was given. Never mind.

This post has been edited by Mark: 06 February 2019 - 09:10 AM

Looks like there's yet another GAN called ProSRGAN:
https://github.com/fperazzi/proSR

Haven't checked it out yet.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Maiden! ;) © 2018 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options